• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best tunnel/shovel pack for viper

G
Nov 26, 2007
What you guys find to be nicest cleanestate fit for viper mtx? Yamaha has an oem shovel pack but want to now how it is?

X
Oct 8, 2009
Wear an avy bag with the gear, shovel, and probe in it. From experience in an avalanche, you can get separated from the sled and need gear to dig people out. Best practice is to keep the gear on your person. You will never know when you will need it, or whether it is a life or death scenario.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Wear an avy bag with the gear, shovel, and probe in it. From experience in an avalanche, you can get separated from the sled and need gear to dig people out. Best practice is to keep the gear on your person. You will never know when you will need it, or whether it is a life or death scenario.

While that is good advice a better idea is to keep a shovel and probe in your bag for avalanche rescue and to have a second shovel on your sled to dig yourself out when you get stuck on a hill. Not the best idea to need to remove your avalanche bag to get at your shovel.

That being said I have a BCA tunnel bag, keeps everything I need and allowed me to down size my avalanche bag and keep just my rescue gear in there.

X
Oct 8, 2009
That is an interesting perspective. It is very often the case that I do not use a shovel on the hill because the hill is too steep. A little hand digging and a pull or push is all that is needed to send the sled down hill on its skis or rolling until it stops. Therefore, I do not carry the additional gear as stated, but I can see why it could be beneficial for certain people. I rarely use a shovel. But, if I do, it is typically in a moderatly flat area after a riding mistake that causes the sled to tip in an awkward way that I cannot get out of without some work.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
What you guys find to be nicest cleanestate fit for viper mtx? Yamaha has an oem shovel pack but want to now how it is?

The OEM shovel pack is a nice bag. Low profile, so perfect for extra gloves, water, hat, etc. I ordered one to put on my 153 SW, and didn't like how much room it took up with the factory tunnel bag. Took it off and gave it to my dad to run on his 162 SW, and I'm running the deluxe tunnel bag now off my '16 Viper MTX LE. Still fits a shovel in it, and have room for gloves, water, tow strap. Plus, this way I can carry gas cans on those long days.

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
Do the Deluxe and Expandable fit nice tight behind seat?
what about water resistant?

Better than the tunnel shovel bag?

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Do the Deluxe and Expandable fit nice tight behind seat?

what about water resistant?

Better than the tunnel shovel bag?

98561126bebef6d7780c5d94da639f4d.jpg

Yes. They’ll take the place of the factory bag that comes on the Sidewinder. I never had a problem for being water resistant, even when we got rained on last year in Alpine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features