• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski doo 850 or axys 800?

E
May 31, 2011
California
I'm trying to decide what to buy and I keep going back and forth between these two. I want something that I can roll up easily and hold a side hill on without fighting it. I currently ride a 2010 polaris dragon 800 and like it but I'm ready to upgrade. Any thoughts?

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Love my 165 850 with a 3 inch track. In fact, we are snowchecking a 175 and keeping the 165. My wife refuses to get back on her T3 after riding the 850 for an hour in Cooke City.

The Axys is a great sled also but if you ride them side by side you will definitely notice some differences. Both sleds are outstanding and can be pushed to sidehill extreme terrain consistently and predictably in places that have very high consequences for small mistakes.

Good luck!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm trying to decide what to buy and I keep going back and forth between these two. I want something that I can roll up easily and hold a side hill on without fighting it. I currently ride a 2010 polaris dragon 800 and like it but I'm ready to upgrade. Any thoughts?
For the first time in years my wife has suddenly shown interest in sledding with me next season.

If she follows through, I will get her an 850 with the new SHOT restarting system.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
My wife and I both ride AXYS 163 2.6" and love them, best sleds we have ever owned. That being said, I spent time on the new 850 165 3" this winter and was impressed, also a very capable sled.
You can't go wrong with either but depending on your riding style you might prefer one over the other. If you choose the AXYS definitely go with the 2.6" track as it has proven to be a fantastic track and works really well on the AXYS

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Coming from your Dragon 800, the Axys is going to make everything easier-- from pull starting to riding sidehills.

Val is 5' 2" and rips on her 163 3" Axys, after riding 163" ProRide ProRMKs. I don't mean she put-puts in the trees with the skis on the ground and a successful day is her not getting stuck. I mean she gets after it and buries her elbows and shoulders in pow turns.

When she stood on the 850, she immediately noticed the added width at her ankles on the tunnel.

E
May 31, 2011
California
I rode an axys this past weekend and liked how it felt but it was harder to pull up than my dragon or even the husband's new viper. I think that could be fixed with some adjustments and seat time though.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I rode an axys this past weekend and liked how it felt but it was harder to pull up than my dragon or even the husband's new viper. I think that could be fixed with some adjustments and seat time though.

Not doubting your experience, but that is not the usual impression. The Axys, like the Pro before it, are really sensitive to seemingly minor suspension adjustments. With a few turns on the springs, you can make a sweet handling Axys ride like turd..... and vice versa. Something can't be right if your husband's Viper feels easier to pull up.

Just realized you are in California.

If you are near Truckee, we could meet up and you could try one of our 163" 3", or I could arrange for you to try a 155" Axys in Truckee-- I just need to go grab one from Auburn Extreme Powersports (Auburn, CA).

Regardless of what you buy, we are always looking for other couples that ride.

Murph

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

Just pick the one you like best. At the end of the day, thats what matters.

They are both very fine machines and you'll have to get used to riding either one of them to get them to do what you want to do .... But you can do it all on either one of them.

I have an Axys and I've been thrilled with it, but I've put some seat time in this year on the new 850 Skidoo as well.

Simply put, if the local dealer for me would have been Skidoo, I probably would be on an 850, but they're Polaris, so I bought the Polaris.

You really can't go wrong with either.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
One think i notice is that the skidoo chassis is much easier to maneuver when your going downhill (downhill carving etc). The axys seems much more planted.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
After spending the 17/18 season on an 850, I would recommend an axys or 18' cat, unless your #1 goal is purely power in stock form.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I started the season on a 2014 Pro that I enjoyed more than any other sled I've ever owned. In late December I rode a friends Axys for only a couple minutes and decided I needed to go shopping. The Axys is much more nimble and way easier to do everything on than a Pro. I used to do a lot of riding with one toenail hanging on the running board hoping all would end well. With the Axys I can do it all from the seat with a simple lean and a little tug on the bars with 100% confidence. I've heard many say the Axys made them a better rider and I'd have to agree. I just turned 1900 miles on my Axys since January and am amazed how easy it is for an old broken down weakling to get around on even in nasty technical terrain.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
If you believe what SnoWest wrote in their shootout this year, the 850 is easier to ride for most people. Super gifted riders did better on the Axys but low to moderate ability riders did better on the Ski-doo.

Cat has a nice sled for next year too. Still the heaviest but not by much. Which dealer in your area is best to deal with? That would probably be the deciding factor. I'll be riding an 850 next year for that reason. Dealer and how they treat YOU should be the biggest factor since they all side hill way better than the IQ chassis. Good luck.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
If you believe what SnoWest wrote in their shootout this year, the 850 is easier to ride for most people. Super gifted riders did better on the Axys but low to moderate ability riders did better on the Ski-doo.

Cat has a nice sled for next year too. Still the heaviest but not by much. Which dealer in your area is best to deal with? That would probably be the deciding factor. I'll be riding an 850 next year for that reason. Dealer and how they treat YOU should be the biggest factor since they all side hill way better than the IQ chassis. Good luck.

I agree a 850 will make a so-so rider better but make a really good rider worse, compared to what can be done on the AXYS. Have seen this first hand with riding buddies. One thing for sure is these machines have sure upped the sledding game. As for Cat, I hope they do well but they are so late to the game that it they really have to impress to get market share back.

Premium Features