• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Starting 600 after draining fuel

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
spark

Did you have good ignition the last time it ran? Odds are that the ignition system did not fail while out of service.
My trick is to mix the new gas with fuel system cleaner of Sea Foam for first start.
:face-icon-small-win
You can also take the air box off and cover the carbs opening while cranking. Gets the gas going!

Last edited:

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
What resistance do you measure from each plug cap to engine ground? I just measured mine on a CFI engine and it is 18.3 K ohms which is 1/2 of the cap to cap resistance.
Have not measured that. Will give a try tomorrow.

Did you have good ignition the last time it ran? Odds are that the ignition system did not fail while out of service.
My trick is to mix the new gas with fuel system cleaner of Sea Foam for first start.
:face-icon-small-win
You can also take the air box off and cover the carbs opening while cranking. Gets the gas going!
Ran (poorly due to 4 year old fuel) before I disassembled and drained. Would light off on starting fluid after I got everything back together, got fuel issue worked out and now won't start. Have fuel to holes, won't even lite on starting fluid anymore

Anyone have experience with ordering from mfg supply?

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
What resistance do you measure from each plug cap to engine ground? I just measured mine on a CFI engine and it is 18.3 K ohms which is 1/2 of the cap to cap resistance.

Where are you measuring engine ground? From each cap to various bolt heads, y pipe, chassis ground on metal cover above clutches, I'm not getting a reading

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Where are you measuring engine ground? From each cap to various bolt heads, y pipe, chassis ground on metal cover above clutches, I'm not getting a reading

I just read to one of the engine head cover bolts. I have 2 sleds and both get that reading from the cap to ground.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I just looked in the manual for your sled and under ignition coil tests it states either Black or White lead which hook to primary coil to secondary should be open. I'm not sure why I read a resistance of 18K unless I am just picking it up through the ECU on my sled. You probably should not see anything to ground.

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
Ok yeah I'm getting an open. Checked the white/red to white on stator and read 192k ohms, checked black to engine ground and got 0.0 ohms so it's looking like the stator and coil both are checking out fine doing resistance checks. Any way to check cdi?

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
Any idea what kind of voltage the coil should be receiving? Like I said before, I checked the voltage at the blk to white wires going into the coil and I'm getting voltage to the coil, but no spark out

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
Rechecked resistance again on everything, all looks good. Checked for spark again, both wires are getting spark now.... still can't get it to start. If I can keep spark should be able to get it to run. Might try the above mentioned methods

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Any luck? There is a possibility it could have gotten severely flooded during the no spark issue so go easy on the amount of gas down the spark plug hole.

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
Haven't tried it yet. Going to get brand new plugs as the current ones are wet from the no spark situation

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
Finally got around to the sled again, before heading out to buy some new plugs decided to pull the rope one more time and she fired up! Thanks for the help everybody. Now to clean clutches and work on rear suspension

Premium Features