• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 RMK died on trail. No spark

H
Feb 13, 2011
Over here
Was riding my 05 900RMK the other day. Everything fine untill out of nowere the engine started to stutter and backfire for few seconds then it died. And it dont get spark anymore.
What can this be

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Unplug your kill switch and try it, if not that then check was the wires run into the coil. Sounds to me that something finally wore through and is grounding out on ya.

H
Feb 13, 2011
Over here
Unplug your kill switch and try it, if not that then check was the wires run into the coil. Sounds to me that something finally wore through and is grounding out on ya.

I did unplug the kill switch and no change. Also checked the wires from back of the ecu to the coils and all fine. But would both coils go out at the same time ?

Last edited:
D
Nov 2, 2008
I'd check the stator. My guess is either the flywheel ring came off or the stator is loose.
Just an FYI, don't put he bottom bolts in the recoil cover. I actually ground the cover some and left the bolts out. Now I can take it off without loosening the motor.
D

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
check ohms on stator. mine broke a wire near the top of adams. sputtered and died. fired one more time for 30secs or so. then never fired again til new stator.

H
Feb 13, 2011
Over here
Did a test and the stator is dead. Got the flywheel off and the tank off. But there is no way to get the plugs past the motor mount to replace the old stator. How is this done or am i doing this wrong ??

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
Cable

You can get the stator cable out from under the engine, in between the motor mount and the frame, just underneath the recoil cover. I just did mine with motor mounted. Takes a little work, but can be done.

Premium Features