• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Better" Limiter Strap

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I thought the stock SINGLE strap looked a lil weak when I looked at it...and proved it was. Broke the strap last weekend.
What are options for a "better"strap. I would like to run 2 on each side of the shock...why this wasn't done stock, i dont know...
I really liked Doos 'easily' adjustable limiter strap setup, no nuts bolts n washers to dink with. Just screw a knob in and out...done.
08-06-24LimiterStrap02.jpg

Update: Oh, this is an 08 Nytro MTX..

Update 6/19/2008:
I emailed Allen @ Timbersled reguarding this issue.

I promptly got an email the next morning saying he'd replace the strap, which wasn't even what I was asking him to do. I was simply looking for info on what I needed to purchase for a replacement, if a stock strap(s) would do the trick.
I had also asked about running 2, he said no issues with that.
After I emailed back thanking him for offering to replace the (1) strap and supplying my address, he replied that he'd be sending me 2 (including an extra set of bolts/nuts/washers).

I know its not a huge dollar thing, but really makes a difference to me having a product backed. I even explained I'm the 2nd owner of this sled (which had the Mtn Tamer installed at purchase)..so this was another reason I wasn't expecting any freebees.

Yet another thumbs up and A+ for Allen & Timbersled.. top notch CS.

~DJ

Update: I recieved the 2 straps and installed them tonight. Thanks again Allen.
08-06-24LimiterStrap03.jpg

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I thought the stock SINGLE strap looked a lil weak when I looked at it...and proved it was. Broke the strap last weekend. What are options for a "better" strap. I would like to run 2 on each side of the shock...why this wasn't done stock, i dont know... I really liked Doos 'easily' adjustable limiter strap setup, no nuts bolts n washers to dink with. Just screw a knob in and out...done.

My nytro mtx came stock with two.....:confused:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
My buddies 40th only has 1.. Hmm bizzarre..maybe your dealer recognized something before it caused issues..I dunno?

Nope, the micro fiche has two of them and the plastic going around the lower mount has two spaced for them also. I checked the 40th and the regular. I have already broken both of them. I just replaced them with new stock parts as I didn't know what else to do at the time.

I wouldn't give my dealer that much credit. The first time they "heard" about bad ball joints was when they pounded mine out with a hammer in April..:rolleyes:

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I put 2 on my mt tamer. don't like the 1 strap dealio.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
oh, yes, mountain tamer .. i would have thought it'd just use the same straps as the stocker...guess not.

Doo went through the breaking/fraying straps back in the day on 1/2 the horsepower. :p

So are the Mtn Tamer straps "different" than the stock straps? As in, part of the kit? Or can I just use stocker straps.

Thanks for all the infos fellers.

Last edited:
R
Nov 26, 2007
COSTCO
a friend kept snapping limiter straps on his mountain addition or elkcom skid on his summit . we just found a piece of 5 ply convayor belting and made one out of that and it lasted him 2 seasons and its still working . the hardest part was drilling the holes in it

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
I got sick of replacing the stockers on my sled. I went to a local implement dealer and bought some belting. I have no idea what it was called, but it is the belts that spin on the back of a combine. I cut mine a little wider and made a set. I took some hollow stainless tubing and sharpened the end and pounded the holes for the bolts. Two years now and no problems.

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
Mine has 2 and I broke mine so I had a couple of stapes from a 98 polaris 700 and it was to wide so I trimed it down no problems and is a way better stap

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Allen/Timbersled's Great ++

I emailed Allen @ Timbersled reguarding this issue.

I promptly got an email the next morning saying he'd replace the strap, which wasn't even what I was asking him to do. I was simply looking for info on what I needed to purchase for a replacement, if a stock strap(s) would do the trick.
I had also asked about running 2, he said no issues with that.
After I emailed back thanking him for offering to replace the (1) strap and supplying my address, he replied that he'd be sending me 2 (including an extra set of bolts/nuts/washers).

I know its not a huge dollar thing, but really makes a difference to me having a product backed. I even explained I'm the 2nd owner of this sled (which had the Mtn Tamer installed at purchase)..so this was another reason I wasn't expecting any freebees.

Yet another thumbs up and A+ for Allen & Timbersled.. top notch CS.

~DJ

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Rcvd the new straps, and installed...I feel a bit better about this setup. Theres actually quite a bit of tension on these. And I only have my front shock at ~60 lbs, rear @ 150 (not that the rear should effect limter tension much..)

There not perfectly aligned, but I figured they should take their own "set" after a ride.. The underside feels very close to the knobs on the track guides to me.. But my buddies has been running on the outside just fine, so must be clearance.

08-06-24LimiterStrap03.jpg

08-06-24LimiterStrap04.jpg

Premium Features