• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtntk turbo issues, Polaris Axys.

H
Mar 25, 2017
So I'm having issues with this turbo set up, it's my first turbo but this is what I'm finding. First and foremost after 600 miles I've discovered that every time I leave my sled outside and it rains the intake and turbo fills up full of water making it very difficult to start in the morning. I didn't know this was happening until I had some maintenance done on the sled and watched water poor out of the intake tube. Second, the welds on the stainless steel muffler are cracking all over the place. I've also gone through two sets of top ends on the engine, my dealer said it's my fuel and that I'm the only one having this problem, I think it's the water I'm sucking into my engine through the intake that came with the turbo setup. Is this happening to anyone else some feedback would be awesome.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
So I'm having issues with this turbo set up, it's my first turbo but this is what I'm finding. First and foremost after 600 miles I've discovered that every time I leave my sled outside and it rains the intake and turbo fills up full of water making it very difficult to start in the morning. I didn't know this was happening until I had some maintenance done on the sled and watched water poor out of the intake tube. Second, the welds on the stainless steel muffler are cracking all over the place. I've also gone through two sets of top ends on the engine, my dealer said it's my fuel and that I'm the only one having this problem, I think it's the water I'm sucking into my engine through the intake that came with the turbo setup. Is this happening to anyone else some feedback would be awesome.

Seriously !!!!

H
Mar 25, 2017
Seriously !!!!
Ya I'm having issues, the muffler is easy enough to weld, I've sealed up the intake for water dripping into it and drilled two drain holes just Incase. I was literally riding it for a mile every morning before it cleared it's throat, couldn't figure it out. Don't get me wrong this sled is a beast and I'll fix it as many times as it takes. But I can't imagine I'm the only one. I'm still waiting to here back from mtntk.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Regarding the muffler. Thats a warranty issue. So just contact Shawn and will set you up. I know they are making an upgraded muffler design so might want to wait for that.

And the water issues sounds like a joke. But then again the OEM airbox is a joke... so who knows. I've also sealed the airbox. But never seen water intrusion. Then again i dont have my sled outside in the rain.

Where did you drill your drainage holes?

We need pictures tho. This thread is nothing without it. :juggle:

H
Mar 25, 2017
14ec84e66f7d1547718028d9757d3a86.jpg

Two holes bottom of aluminum intake, my dealer did this. My sled sat outside at the dealership for two weeks, I live in Washington state it rains alot here. I was leaving the sled on my sled deck between days I was riding, didn't think a little rain would hurt. I'll try and get the video my dealership took of the water pouring out of the intake tube.

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
Wouldnt another solution just be to cover the sled or just cover the airbox when its standing still? Because 99.99% sure the stock airbox is to blame here.

But another design of the aluminium box that bolts up on the oem airbox could also be done. Making the alubox abit larger so water can gather under the pipe inlet. And make so the water gather in the middle where a drainhole is placed. Plus a water "screen/roof" above the pipe inlet, so it doesnt drop straight into the pipe and down to the turbo.

Send that to Shawn and you'll see he takes notice of it. They are very eager to improve their products!

H
Mar 25, 2017
That's exactly why I'm posting this I want to help make this kit that much better, cause it runs flawless once I'm going. I did a water test on the two holes that were drilled and all the water escapes before it makes its way down the tube, I don't plan on leaving my sled outside in the rain anymore.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
That's exactly why I'm posting this I want to help make this kit that much better, cause it runs flawless once I'm going. I did a water test on the two holes that were drilled and all the water escapes before it makes its way down the tube, I don't plan on leaving my sled outside in the rain anymore.

You figured it out !!!! . I would never leave any sled out uncovered in the PNW never mind a mod sled. Put a cover on it.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If I had a new Axys with mntek it would go inside!!!!

Quick question, if you are getting water in, what about snow on DEEP days??? That would be my next concern. Snow can seriously wreck crap!

H
Mar 25, 2017
Ya ya good idea I'll just drive under a tree every time it snows so it doesn't get wet, or maybe I buy an umbrella for when Im riding, seriously it's a snowmobile it gets wet there meant to thrash on in deep powder, I'm just letting people know it fills up with water. And as far as sucking water while I'm riding I'm pretty sure that's why I get the occasional det code. Any advice on sealing the stock air box, I'm worried whatever I seal it with will get sucked into the turbo FML....

H
Mar 25, 2017
Just the stock pipe, got tired of the aluminum rattling around and everything getting covered in fiberglass, it was a pain I don't recommend doing for fun.

H
Mar 25, 2017
e2bb3bdf4e9f6ae11590bb09ddb28a8a.jpg
13106eb4ccdcf45d865dae1b20da5811.jpg
02a485ac6e411cc9c86ff793d99100f9.jpg
0135db282eb543f15faa5d42360bd084.jpg
9c188061c7cc88ad52fb94b1479ae716.jpg

This is my fix 3m window weld urethane and foil tape lol. Don't judge me... I also tapped the drain holes for a 1/4-20 bolts for an easy plug drain just in case.

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
How is this a MTNTK issue? Seems to me a sled sitting in the rain issue. Mtntk uses the stock intake so if the water didn't go into the turbo intake it would go into the stock air box. Still going to have water ingestion problems.
IMO you need to address your sled storage decisions there bud.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
How is this a MTNTK issue? Seems to me a sled sitting in the rain issue. Mtntk uses the stock intake so if the water didn't go into the turbo intake it would go into the stock air box. Still going to have water ingestion problems.
IMO you need to address your sled storage decisions there bud.

Perhaps. But the second part likely has nothing to do with storage...

"Second, the welds on the stainless steel muffler are cracking all over the place."

Premium Features