• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone seen the new Evo from Polaris?

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
price

Sure, I totally understand if they feel they need to keep the price point down and they don't agree with me and think enough numbers are out there for an EVO RMK PRO in the $8k-10k range.

That's where I'm saying that even if they just did 2 things to the evo to make it the evo rmk, that would be leaps and bounds forward for me. To put the standard indy skid on it instead of the lowered skid, I would think would be cost neutral. To put the 1.75" track on it instead of the .9" track, might cost another hundred or two. Boom, there is your evo rmk. Throw it out there and watch the orders come in. You'll never see a standard model get ordered ever again out here in the west.

Think about the 90's. The only difference in an RMK or an SKS was the track length. But that was enough to make all the difference in the world and soon enough nobody in the west ever bought a standard model ever again.

To take it even farther, if they want, it seems like these days polaris is doing belt drives for about the same cost as a chaincase, so maybe that could be in play as well, and as far as gearing it down, it seems that one gear costs the same as the next gear, although maybe they charge a little more to add another part on their shelves. Still it seems like those changes could be done at a fairly small cost premium.

For a narrow stance, it would be perfect if the new 36" arms from AXYS REACT would bolt right on to the old pro chassis that the evo sits on, but if not, and it's too much work for them, that's fine. Put it out with the 39 it has now and we can put some aftermarket offset spindles on it or maybe just picky guys like me can pay for a full blown zbros kit aftermarket.

It seems like they could RMK it quite well using parts they already have on the shelf and parts that I imagine don't cost much more than the ones on the standard model. But if nothing else, the biggest two things are to un-lower it, and get some lug on there. Both seem super easy and super cheap...from my outsider perspective. :face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-hap

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
string us along

The other thing they can/should do out here in the west is to string us along and add one more cool thing every few years to the RMK. So let's say for now that the RMK just has the lifted skid and the 1.75" track. Then a couple years later they give it a belt drive with a gear down. Then a couple years later they give it a narrow ski stance. Then a couple years later they give it carbon overstructure and bumper. Then a couple years later they give it better boards. Then a couple years later build it on the AXYS chassis instead of the pro chassis. If they keep putting a few new things out here and there, that should help keeps sales of this thing strong even after years and years of offering the product instead of the scenario where you have strong sales for the first couple years and then everybody has one who needs one and you can't sell them anymore.

How many guys who had a perfectly good 2012 ProRMK upgraded to the 2013 pro rmk because they just had to have the belt drive, better boards, and the lost weight. Small changes, but it caused lots of people to sell the old stuff and get the new stuff.

Also, if it actually is a real half decent mountain sled, there should quickly be a pretty high rate of 12 year old running these things into trees and that would help keep sales strong as well.

All this is the opposite of what we see with the 120's where they are the exact same year after year, so there is no incentive to buy new vs. used, and they can't actually get anywhere tricky to get crashed in the first place, so they all just sit there on the used market and really drag down the new sales market. Not to mention that they have 4 stroke motors and are built bullet proof so they just last forever.

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
They should be able to make the price point by offering this sled in an rmk mode. Longer tracks cost very little more to make only due to more material. Rmk parts when mass produced and the tooling is already designed and paid for should cost the same as a trail sled. Polaris has put a large premium on the light weight parts only because we will pay the premium for them. A long track Evo on price point is possible but it would not be as light as most would want it to be. Polaris has proven they knows how to manage special orders thru snowcheck. They just need to make the standard rmk Evo and then offer the light weight pro rmk option to get it down to the 375 pound range as snow check only. Make the snow check in optional stages and then leave it up to the customer to decide how much they are willing to pay. They could also offer the up grades thru the accessory catalog and let the dealers make a few dollars also. All this has been said before. We just need Polaris to start listening.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Shorter track

Call me crazy (get in line, plenty of people that have already joined that club) but I really don't think the age of kid I have in mind needs a big long 144 track. My ideal plan would involve putting my kid on a 600 144 at about the age of 14 (for my family, this age means the kid will be a little over 5 feet tall and a little over 100 pounds) but I think the concept of an evo is for kids who aren't yet even a full 5 feet tall, or maybe just barely, and kids that are still under 100 pounds, or maybe over just barely.

At that size, I just don't think a 144 will do as good of a job of TEACHING the kid how to ride as a 121 or 129, or maybe even a 136 would do. Yeah, the 144 might take him up a few more big hills or into a little deeper powder, but I think the skills would be much better learned with a little shorter track, and maybe you can try to make up for a little lost ground with some bigger paddles?

I would much rather see them stick with something smaller like the 129 or maybe even the 136 (that's pushing it), but in the cheaper indy lines now that have the old Pro chassis, it does appear that the options are still limited to either 121 or jumping all the way up to 144. Bummer.

All the more reason to make a really expensive "PRO" version of the evo RMK that is actually built on the AXYS chassis. :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-win Oh man, the idea of starting this theoretical "EVO RMK PRO" on the platform of the Indy XC 129 machines that already have the good boards just makes me drool. Lighter 550 engine and associated clutch, geared down belt drive, 36" REACT arms, and the Camoplast Backcountry X2 track with all the other "little people" evo parts. Now there's a machine that could really teach a 4'8" 85 pound 10-12 year old how to ride. And it wouldn't use a single part that isn't already there.

d029508ac78d5e1436b1d0adf4990b49.jpg

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I think that’s a pipe dream considering the RMK600 is 455lbs versus the 800 and 850 under 420.
Using that logic I don’t see a fancooled sled being under 400lbs while the 600 stays hefty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Well, yes, you definitely have some reason there. However, the current iteration of the evo is at 409, and they have literally done nothing to it to "keep it light" so it sure seems like breaking that 400 pound mark, maybe even by a lot, wouldn't be too tough. But, yes, I fully understand that dreaming of a high performance youth snowmobile is like dreaming of winning the next round of powerball. Fun to dream - not gonna happen.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Weight

Hmmmm...here is one more interesting development. Polaris didn't mention making any changes to the indy 500, however, the 2018 is listed at 422 pounds and the 2019 is listed at 445 pound. Kinda moving in the wrong direction there. I wonder if they actually changed anything or if they just published a wrong number?

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
electric start

Nope, found it. They made electric start standard. 23 pounds and 500 bucks of stuff I don't want. I sure hope they don't do that to its little brother the EVO, or espcially to my imagination's theoretical little brother the EVO RMK. :face-icon-small-ton

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
My first “big” sled was a 440 fan with a 121. An old Prowler from back in the day. I learned how to jump and sidehill on that sled. I think this one will do just fine.

My concern is durability, this is trail sled. It has its place for the boring kids, but there needs to be an aggressive kids sled thats durable and has good suspension.

Kids need the snowmobile version of an MX bike, something that can take a beating. I was snapping driveshafts and suspension parts regularly as a kid until I started riding race sleds, then never an issue.

A 3/4 size chassis similar to an older sno pro or IQR, with a 340 fan in it would be a great kids sled, and something parents can still rip around with and have some fun on, the snowmobile version of a pit bike.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
None?

So...the only person who has actually seen one among us is the Polaris Ambassador?

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
I went and looked at one of these last week at a sneak peak for the new sled models. Did not see anything I did not expect to see. Lowered rear trail type skid, lowered front suspension short seat and the smaller gas tank. My 12 year old fit the sled well. Looks like a great trail sled but not even close to a powder sled. Went to the dealer today and found out some more info. I was asking how this upgrade option would work. They did not have much info on this but were able to find the upgrade kit for it in their computer as an accessory with a price of $1500. There were pictures of chain case gears, a complete front end (a arms and shocks), and some limiter straps. May have been a few more parts also. There was also a throttle flipper shown. There was text indicating the flipper that this sled comes with only allows partial throttle opening and I remember that the one on display was very flat which would confirm this. I suspect the 50 mph top speed is limited by throttle lever, chain case gearing and possibly a rev limiter to keep the engine from over revving when it runs out of gear. There just does not seem to be much info available on this out there yet. The specs listed the stock front and rear travel and the new increased travel after the kit has been installed. The kit also increased the ski width. I ordered two sleds, one for each of my kids 12 and 14 years old. These will definitely do all that is promised for a trail sled. I am still very disappointed that there is no pro RMK option that would be in the 375 lb range and have the longer track and rider forward position that would allow them to get thru the deep powder when we go out west. I will now need to determine if long tracking one of these would be better than finishing my forever project of building them powder sleds from older trailing arm sleds.

Polaris instead of offering a kit to make this into a full size sled how about a light weight PRO RMK accessory long track kit. Just pull the parts off the shelf and make up a package.

If they do build the Pro RMK 550 (375Lb) I just wont know if the joy that they finally brought it to market will be able to erase my anger that it took them so long to build it why I watched my kids try to ride trail sleds in the powder, all the while most every part to build it is sitting on the shelf back at the factory.

Polaris hurry up and get it done my kids aren't getting any younger. If you wait too long Cat, Doo, or Yam will beat you to it and they will own this market along with any brand loyalty that comes with it. I am somewhat certain that brand preference starts with every kid that throws their leg over the seat of their first ride, and will also transfer to the rides they buy when they grow up.

Does anyone from Polaris read this forum?

Last edited:
S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Saw it yesterday at the dealer. For a trail sled Polaris nailed it. As far as mountain capability it would take a lot of modding. Sits really low! I was waiting to see it in person before I bought the Freestyle 300 I was looking at. Got home and immediately called the guy to buy the 300. If this sled does well I suspect Polaris will offer a RMK version in 2-3 years.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Just so we are all clear, it's not their intention to market it as the EVO RMK.
It's a trail sled.

IMO, they did hit the mark they intended to hit.

Guessing from the questions they asked us at the presentation in February, they will consider developing the EVO RMK if they can keep the price point down low enough.

Last edited:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
New info

Really helpful and informative post Bushwacker, thanks tons. Like you say, though, there is still a LOT that is unknown about this machine - and I think your post almost served to give me even more questions than it did answers. Where you are in Wisconsin, this machine probably makes a lot of sense for you, I'm happy for you for ordering a couple. Please do share here as many details as you can once you get your hands on those puppies.

I do really hope to be able to see one some time soon. Especially I would love to see it right next to other similar sleds like the standard indy 550. It seems like a lot of the things in that $1,500 "upgrade kit" are just going to be putting parts from the indy 550 back on it so that in the end, once you have upgraded, you just have an indy 550 with a small seat and small gas tank. Your gear comment makes me wonder if it might already be geared down, saving one step I thought was needed for a "mtn build" project. Also, maybe a whole new skid wouldn't be needed - maybe I could get away with just the limiter strap and the longer shock?

If that were to be true, then at that point, I could just buy a 1.75" lug track and a z broz 36" front end kit and have a sled to be pretty happy with. Maybe?

SpencerA - other than sitting low and the track, what else did you see that would need modding?

Scott - I sure hope they do put that out. Preferably REALLY SOON as my 8 year old ain't getting any smaller.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Besides raising sled up and track I think would drastically improve this sled. It just comes down to money. This sled looks sick and my 8 year old wanted for how cool it looked. But we ride mostly off trail so a modded Freestyle was a better option for the amount of money that it would take to get it where we need it. I have no doubt this will be a hot seller for Polaris. Props to Polaris for beating out the other guys (and we’re Ski-doo family)

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
Really helpful and informative post Bushwacker, thanks tons. Like you say, though, there is still a LOT that is unknown about this machine - and I think your post almost served to give me even more questions than it did answers. Where you are in Wisconsin, this machine probably makes a lot of sense for you, I'm happy for you for ordering a couple. Please do share here as many details as you can once you get your hands on those puppies.

I do really hope to be able to see one some time soon. Especially I would love to see it right next to other similar sleds like the standard indy 550. It seems like a lot of the things in that $1,500 "upgrade kit" are just going to be putting parts from the indy 550 back on it so that in the end, once you have upgraded, you just have an indy 550 with a small seat and small gas tank. Your gear comment makes me wonder if it might already be geared down, saving one step I thought was needed for a "mtn build" project. Also, maybe a whole new skid wouldn't be needed - maybe I could get away with just the limiter strap and the longer shock?

If that were to be true, then at that point, I could just buy a 1.75" lug track and a z broz 36" front end kit and have a sled to be pretty happy with. Maybe?

SpencerA - other than sitting low and the track, what else did you see that would need modding?

Scott - I sure hope they do put that out. Preferably REALLY SOON as my 8 year old ain't getting any smaller.

Yes I think the gearing is most likely limiting the top speed so the gear down for a long track may already be there. Rail and tunnel extensions would allow for a longer track but keep in mind this has a trail suspension in it, so it wont be the lightest skid. The approach angle was excellent but if the limiter straps are holding the skid lower and you let it out to get more skid in the snow the approach angle will change. There may have been skid springs in that conversion kit also. I would agree that the conversion kit will most likely bring this sled close to a 550 indy. This is a good idea. Although the list price seems like a lot at 1500, this is a lot less that trading the sled in when your 12 year old (12 is the legal age for youth to ride on the trail system in Wi) develops their ridding skills and is ready for a bigger sled that has more travel and want some more top speed in a few years. Long tracking one of these would be a compromise as the skid is designed for trail and is not as light as the RMK skids, it lacks cutouts in the running boards, and the steering post is most likely pulled back and down for the trail application the sled was designed for. We recently spent some time out west and my son has an indy starlite 250cc and my daughter has an indy 340, both sporting nub short tracks. Spring conditions were in play but we did receive almost 24" of fresh snow while we were there and they were able to ride off trail every day, so just putting some lug to this new sled with out even long tracking would go a long way with the new evo for out west ridding.( I can say that my sons Indy star lite at 379 Lbs was noticeably easier to dig out when it was stuck.) The common parts available from the Pro Chassis would allow to get some weight off this sled. Belt drive with after market gear down, lighter jackshaft, lighter brake rotor, new axsis light weight front end, cut out running boards, and even a shortened pro or axis skid would all be on my list for modding one of these. For now I have all summer to decide if my kids will have a trail sled for ridding in Wi and then separate trailing arm long tracked sleds for out west. I will say it again , it would be awesome if Polaris would offer a Pro RMK EVO @ 375.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Lower than Phazer

@SpencerA - you say it sits really low. How low? I guess the machine that I have it most closely compared to is a Phazer II from 1989 to 1999? Obviously machines sat a lot lower back then. If you had to guess, would you say it sits lower than a Phazer II? Or just low by todays mountain sled standards?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I saw one today and messed with it. It is not for the mountain segment. AT ALL. I am not sure what market they were looking for. The seat height is a bit lower from the boards, but the thing looks like a low rider. I don't get it, why does the fact that the boards and bulk are 6 inches from the snow, while the seat and bars are almost full size make it a kid sled? I am SOOO glad that I didn't order a couple for my kids, I almost did. Packed trail sled, super wide and VERY VERY outdated looking. I am sure that Poo wanted to use up the rest of the 2012-2015 Pro parts, but this made me sad. You could add a long track, raise the front end, you would end up with a 2012 Pro with a 550, no reverse. Again, I was hoping for a win, not trying to hack Poo, but this was a miss.
However, they will sell every one as fast as they come in, because where I live, people will throw money at them for kids, even if they are just a driveway toy.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
@SpencerA - you say it sits really low. How low? I guess the machine that I have it most closely compared to is a Phazer II from 1989 to 1999? Obviously machines sat a lot lower back then. If you had to guess, would you say it sits lower than a Phazer II? Or just low by todays mountain sled standards?

Like 6-8 inches under the bulk. It looks odd.

Premium Features