• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why lower handlebars???

K
Oct 7, 2018
Hi guys,

I know that everyone says to lower the handlebars to get a lower center of gravity. My question is why? Me being a shorter person at 5'7" I am looking for every advantage possible. Wouldnt lowering the CG make the snowmobile more stable and more difficult to throw around? If lowering the CG is best, then why do they keep raising the height of the snowmobile? I have searched through tons of threads and the only answer that I can find is it lowers CG but no fact or reason why it is beneficial. Just trying to understand from a rookie standpoint.

Thanks

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
picture a dumbell with about 50lbs on it.

which is easier to lift up, holding it with your arms close to your body or with your arms out at an angle?

Higher bars put your bars into your chest when climbing, and make it way more difficult to stand at the front of your running boards. Raised bars will end up pushing you back on the boards because you need to step back to keep your arms in a strong position.

It's all relative to your personal height of course. But I'm 5'8" and run the low bars.

Higher bars don't raise your center of gravity. You don't get taller because the bars are. You actually end up standing taller with short bars where you can hold them closer to your hips with your arms in a straighter, stronger position for pulling upwards to tip the sled.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
I’ve had both, tall and short. If you are only riding in the flats, taller bars do work. When you start sidehilling through the trees, that is where you will notice a difference.

Do this for a scenario. Place your sled at a 45degree angle in the shop. Stand on the high side board straight vertically. Now grab your short bars and pull. Your body weight can still be more on the side of the sled where you are standing on. Now, Place a 6” riser on the bars. You have to reach over the sled to grab the bars. Where is most of your body weight, over the seat. You now will have a hard time getting your body weight back over to the board you are standing on.

You have more body leverage with shorter bars. Back when I had tall bars, once the sled got away from me sidehilling, it would toss be like a wet noodle down the hilll. I couldn’t recover fast enough to get the bars back to the high side.

Last edited:

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
I’m also 5’7’’ Found a set of Pro Tappers “matte black” at a local MX shop 1’’ lower and cut 1’’ of each end. Feels perfect standing and side hilling. Also cut the seat down 2’’ making hop overs easier.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Adjust them to what works for your riding style. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. It’s like how much pepper someone likes on their eggs.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Adjust them to what works for your riding style. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. It’s like how much pepper someone likes on their eggs.

You put pepper on your eggs ?!?!? lol just kidding.

exactly... do what feels right. I'm 5'10 and run mid height bars that are narrowed 1" off each side. I use this set-up because it makes my shoulders happy!

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
Yes stock seat, remove cover, sketch out the amount of foam you want to cut off top and sides with a marker. Have a buddy help re stretch the cover and re staple.. really one of the best mods for these sleds.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I'm 6'2" and ride with low bars. Not because someone told me to, but because that's what feels best. I used to use high bars because I assumed that's what I needed. But the bars always got in the way
and caused my upper body to do weird things to compensate. Low bars are out of the way. If I was trail riding, or mellow off-trail, I'd feel otherwise.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
As said it really depends on your riding style. For riding whooped out roads, or just general riding....a little taller and standing more upright can be nice.

Usually the gnarlier it gets - steeper, more demanding climbs and sidehills - the lower bars are better.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
I’ve been debating this also. So ur just changing out bars? What brand and rise then are u guys using? Narrowing also sounds like a good idea.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I’ve been debating this also. So ur just changing out bars? What brand and rise then are u guys using? Narrowing also sounds like a good idea.
JUst go to dealer, most tend to stock the low/mids prebuilt with new grips and warmers installed. Makes the install super clean and simple.

I like the mids most. The lows are perfect for super nasty tree bashing, but the mids feel the best for my mix with jumping.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Called dealer and they said they can get a 5” rise bar but had no idea about a setup w the heaters/grips already on..

Anyone give more insight on exactly what setup it is? Whats stock rise on rmk. 7”?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Called dealer and they said they can get a 5” rise bar but had no idea about a setup w the heaters/grips already on..

Anyone give more insight on exactly what setup it is? Whats stock rise on rmk. 7”?
Stock in season models come with 7's. 6" are meds and 5" are low.

Polaris offers all 3 as kits.

https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/handlebars-accessories/2881235/

https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/handlebars-accessories/2881236/

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Running the mids myself as well. For tree riding the shorties are sick but for the rest of the day not so much. 6' 2" here. When you do swap to shorter bars your legs will feel it and if they don't your back will. Hint, you want your legs to feel it not your back; bend those knees!! Ha.

Premium Features