• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Y pipe bolts ?

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
So why are these things 6mm hex bolts?!

Is there something special to these bolts or can they be substituted with regular grade 5 bolts with lock washers? Seems that it would make life easier.

With hex's the only way to access some of them is with a stubby socket and it's a PITA to get in there and align the hex so it bites. If one's rounded at all it's even worse trying to get the socket into the bolt head.

Thanks.....

Last edited:
W
Feb 27, 2008
had the same problem...bought a set of craftsman extended allen sockets with the ball end,to go along with the 2 new manifold bolts to replace the rouned out ones!!!!waaay better.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Bolts

The reason they are 6mm is because the motor is metric. Chassis is SAE. Polaris has been this way for years. I think it's called global supply. Hex clearnce on the Y pipe is lousy so Allen head is easier to get in there. I use a regular metric allen wrech and slip a box end wrench over the end for added leverage. The Husky wrenches sold at Lowes seem to hold up well.

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
So....anybody just change 'em to standard bolts or is there a reason that I shouldn't.

It's just seems like it'll be easier.

Premium Features