• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Summit X going into limp mode

garciava

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
western colorado
Long post but I need some help.
My 2016 Summit X 800 started going into limp mode and the check engine light comes on. It wasn’t full limp mode because it would run around 6500 RPM but no power. Shut the sled off and restart and it will run fine for a bit and then do it again. After it done it the first day I took it in to the shop and they put on the computer. The only thing that pulled up was park brake set. The park brake lever is broke off so I knew it had not been rode with the park brake on. What we did notice was the brake was not pushing the brake light switch back in. We took the sled back out this weekend and it had the same issue. It would go into limp mode. I removed the switch and rode it with it off the brake lever assembly and had same issue but with it off the sled would flash park brake set. I taped the switch to the off position and rode it that way as if it was still on the brake lever. Rode the sled and within minutes the check engine light comes on and it goes into limp mode. Like before shut it off and restart it will run great for a shot time and then does it again. I looked for codes on the display and it says no P codes.

Does anyone have an idea of what’s going on? I hate to take it to the dealer just yet because warranty was up last November

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Stator.. usually they'll tend to act up after they heat up and throw a voltage code concerning the coils, but it's not a perfect world... stator test is pretty easy, and can be done without tearing half the sled apart...

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Ha Ha chalk another one up to all of us thinking to hard :face-icon-small-blu how many miles on em?

garciava

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
western colorado
Update that might help others with same problem

Turns out sled would still go into limp mode after I changed plugs. while it was in limp mode I was able to get a code to come up. the code was PO264. It is related to PTO injector. Took sled to dealer and the found a broken wire close to the injector. repaired wire. Rode the sled yesterday for several hours with no issues

S
Apr 1, 2014
I had EXACT SAME issue a month ago. Excellent Dealer with Excellent Mechanic at Twin Pines Motorsports in South Fork, Colorado (i.e Wolf Creek, Colo. ) pulled 6 codes, most related to voltage issue. I had replaced plugs recently. Mechanic found 2 issues.
1) Spark plugs. Spark plug terminals in rubber boot were corroded/covered in black stuff interfering with continuity between plug tip and plug wire. The plug tips were pitted from arcing. Cleaned terminals, installed new plugs. Cleared codes. Started, ran, limp mode, check engine light.
2) Broken injector wire (left/clutch side injector). Break was also close (couple of inches) to injector. Zip tied from factory so tight wire was guaranteed to break. Mechanic repaired better than new, soldered ends, shrink wrapped, plastic wire loom. Cleared code, started, ran great smooth perfect, no check engine light. Done.
I suggest checking your plug wire terminals for corrosion/carbon and plug tips for arcing. Easy to do. If you have old plugs will you please check them for pitting? I am curious.
Thanks
2016 xm T3 174. 2500 miles.

S
Curious to know if your sled ever went back into Limp Mode again? i have been battling a 2008 Summit 800 for the past 6 years. No one will buy the damn thing so i just keep it around and it runs awesome up until it goes into Limp mode for no reason at all. Fresh powder day of riding and randomly, just about get flipped over the handle bars and then you struggle to get home.

The dealerships around here do not have any seasoned mechanics to know how to provide any ideas and i have spend over $1000 at them for them to try and fix it and still no luck.

Any suggestions would be helpful! thanks

Premium Features