• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 300XC TPI Snowbike?

B
Feb 26, 2018
I'm looking into getting the new KTM 300XC TPI for this summer coming. I also have major interest in getting into snow-biking. I'm curious if anybody has done any testing with the new fuel injected 2 stroke KTM has (300XC TPI). It should work just as good as a fuel injected 4 stroke right? I am a big two stroke fan and it would be awesome if the new KTM worked good on a snow-bike. I have searched the internet and I can't find any forums or articles of people using the Fuel Injected version of the KTM 300XC TPI.

Anything helps. Just looking for someone that has some info.

Thanks!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I thought it was only a xcw with pds? Someone has mentioned on here they have one hopefully they reply ..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

El Gringo

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2010
Calgary Alberta
Pretty sure they are not importing any TPI 300s into North America for 2018, only 250. But when they do I suspect they will suffer the same way an injected 4 stroke does, that they are not optimized for extreme cold.

rmk156

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Edgerton MN
I'm curious also! but cant help you with the 19 TPI

I'm currently running a 2017 300 xc-w with the Lectron carb. This thing RIPS!! Last two years I ran a Yamaha 450 and this 300 is lighter and spins the track right now, faster thru the trees,climbs far better!! I think the factory EFI will perform even better...

Ps I'm also running the Slavens S3 head, Scalivinie Pipe,v-force reeds

Twostrokesmoke all the way!!!

Any more research on the 19 TPI would be helpful!!

B
Feb 26, 2018
I'm curious also! but cant help you with the 19 TPI

I'm currently running a 2017 300 xc-w with the Lectron carb. This thing RIPS!! Last two years I ran a Yamaha 450 and this 300 is lighter and spins the track right now, faster thru the trees,climbs far better!! I think the factory EFI will perform even better...

Ps I'm also running the Slavens S3 head, Scalivinie Pipe,v-force reeds

Twostrokesmoke all the way!!!

Any more research on the 19 TPI would be helpful!!

Is your current setup just a hop on and ride setup, or have you had to do carb tuning to get it the way you like?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I know for me I have lectron on many bikes... It is ride once maybe change the power jet once or twice then ride... They sent a winter rod for my yz.....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

R
Apr 18, 2016
I don't run a Lectron or a KTM but do run a 2 stroke. Mine has a PWK carb and I have not had to fiddle with it much after initial set up. I had years of running CR500's with both PJ and PWK carbs and keep pretty good jetting notes and tables. I pretty much just set it up and have only messed a half a turn or so on the screw. Thing rips.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Same here on my 500, jetted the PWK once, got temps under control and I haven't touched it in 4 seasons.

M5

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
I am seriously thinking about a 300 for my TS120 setup (riding a husky 350 now). My only concern is dumping fuel every tip over. Has this been an issue for anyone? Riding in WA 4000-7000ft

I am seriously thinking about a 300 for my TS120 setup (riding a husky 350 now). My only concern is dumping fuel every tip over. Has this been an issue for anyone? Riding in WA 4000-7000ft

If I were you I would try to get in contact with Kyle Brothersen. He lives in Utah and has a Youtube Channel (Dirt Bike Channel) where he has been testing the KTM 250 XC-W TPI and the Husky TE250i on the single track. Granted it's not the 300 but I am pretty sure he could give you some pretty good insight on how the bike is working on the single track at elevation.

Here is a link to his website and he is really good at getting back to you. https://www.dirtbikechannel.com/

Last edited:

rmk156

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Edgerton MN
Is your current setup just a hop on and ride setup, or have you had to do carb tuning to get it the way you like?

I ordered it from Slavens Racing.....they sent me the Lectron and said....DONT TOUCH A THING....Adjust the idle and that is it!!! If it isn't perfect call us..... I listened and it ran perfect at 1600ft all the way to 11k ft.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
As far as I know... for 2018, the only TPI model available in North America is the 250xc-w. Nothing confirmed for more models in 2019 - although it's likely a fair bet.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I ordered it from Slavens Racing.....they sent me the Lectron and said....DONT TOUCH A THING....Adjust the idle and that is it!!! If it isn't perfect call us..... I listened and it ran perfect at 1600ft all the way to 11k ft.

I have a Lectron on my gasgas. (Summer bike)
(Direct from Lectron)

Same deal installed it without touching anything and instantly had the best running 2 stroke bike I’ve ever been on.
Response is greatly improved along with power under the curve.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
300's make a sweet snowbike

Carbs are super easy to tune. Honestly they take like 5 minutes to figure out. Efi, injectors, fuel pumps, add on controllers... more weight, more cost no thanks! I've been down that road and it sucks.

I plan on doing the exact opposite and buying the last year they make the 300 with a carb.

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
I'm looking into getting the new KTM 300XC TPI for this summer coming. I also have major interest in getting into snow-biking. I'm curious if anybody has done any testing with the new fuel injected 2 stroke KTM has (300XC TPI). It should work just as good as a fuel injected 4 stroke right? I am a big two stroke fan and it would be awesome if the new KTM worked good on a snow-bike. I have searched the internet and I can't find any forums or articles of people using the Fuel Injected version of the KTM 300XC TPI.

Anything helps. Just looking for someone that has some info.

Thanks!

We have a few 300 EXC TPI in my riding group and we all agree that the -18 is a lot better than a fine tuned -17 carbed version. No need for carb heating, more grunt thru the whole register, snappier responce and less fuel consumption.

I ride a good tuned EXC 500 which I really prefer vs the -17 300s or older, but when I change bike I will most likely get a -18 or -19 300 TPI. A few things truly suck with the 300 TPI though and the seat being the biggest flaw. That seat sucks so much it is by far the worst seat I have ever tried.

//Rob

Premium Features