• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Cat vs Snopro

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Works out great for us guys who only buy holdovers:) With a shrinking customer base and sleds that are way overpriced don't see the holdover market going away anytime soon. If you can sell a 1 year old used sled and just take a $3-4k hit i'd say your doing good. I know when I buy a hold over I'm expecting to pay at least that much less for it new.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I was ready to snow check but like chewy said I will most likely not. Reason being is I have know idea what I'm getting with the snow check? What is the benefit? Used to be you got something whether it was a discounted price or options with a snow check. Now nothing but an ugly tunneled sled which is the same as the floor models next fall. Pretty sad pretty sad

https://www.arcticcat.com/snow/offers/spring-guarantee-sales-event-for-snowmobiles/

If you put $500 down by April 15th (I think that's the date) you get one of the following:

4 year warranty or
0% for 60 months or
2 year warranty and $700 in accessories

Seems like the snowcheck is still a descent deal. You figure that's $1000 plus value any way you slice it. So as long as the rebates next winter aren't above $1500, then your still breaking even.

There is a possibility of a $2000 rebate, like what they did in 2016 (Sorry Chewy) but that doesn't usually happen. I think they only have $1200 right now on 2017s.

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
So how crazy are you going with your build? Excited to see the outcome!
I'm undecided at the moment. Depends on what turbo availability is like. If I can get a turbo setup, I will probably go sno pro and put a KMOD in it with shocks up front. Maybe some boards and a bumper or 2 on it. Try to take some weight out of it somewhat. If no turbo available, mountain cat with some boards and bumpers and ride it like it's stolen until it breaks.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I'm in the same boat as a lot of guys, I'm getting ready to snowcheck and I dunno what I want! Is it worth it? Or should I just wait for the rebates my bro got a 2016 limited for 15800 OTD ( good price for northern Ontario) this mountain cat to snow check will be 17 000$!
And no tunnel bag nothing...

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
I'm in the same boat as a lot of guys, I'm getting ready to snowcheck and I dunno what I want! Is it worth it? Or should I just wait for the rebates my bro got a 2016 limited for 15800 OTD ( good price for northern Ontario) this mountain cat to snow check will be 17 000$!
And no tunnel bag nothing...
The new plastics alone are worth a 18 model for me. The old plastics were so fugly to me I couldn't buy it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
One can only laugh at all of the uncertainties on what exactly you are buying.
I can't believe all of these questions are not answered by Cat and their website. Hard to justify spending 14k with all of the unknowns at this point.
Mind-boggling.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Cat manager comes down to the plant and says "now we arent gonna get all obama-care this year like we did last year and give out free snow suites n tunnel bags n chit....
f'ers are already gettin a new motor and somewhat new plastics...
take that f'n bumper off there!!! they get the sh*t bumper this year... Throw that aluminum shaft in the garbage were scrappin that..."

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I know for sure my 18' early built does not have the adjustable post. All the others, who knows.

I doubt it comes on the MC. They did this same crap with the 2017 LTD models last year. For some reason that graphic showed up in the descriptions of those as well. But you never see the adjustable in any of the photos. I'm guessing they come on the high country or trail models and they just copied all the other features that are similar (clutches, motor, gauge etc).

But yeah they can't take 5 minutes to check their site before it goes live....

Goin For Snow

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2002
South Haven MN
What about the base M8? Does it get the lightweight tank and shafts?

Part of me thinks that is a legit option, especially if you wanna throw the 3.2 Challenger on?

Plus, the coil over shocks might be nice as well?

Here is what my dealer told me.
"We just learned Sno Pro and Mountain Cat machines will have all the new lightweight parts with the exception electric start models will not have the lightweight tank. The SE model will not have the light tank in any models." they said the se's will have the other lightweight parts.

I don't need fancy shocks and after many many cats with air shocks, i am not a fan an would prefer the coilovers, but want to try the 3.0 track. I can live without the lightweight tank. So i am looking at the se and swapping in a 3.0 track. Track upgrade program they have is a joke.
I am going next week to see what the exact sno check numbers are and decide from there. I am guessing, like you said, the SE and swap in the track i want. THe couple of extra lbs with the heavy gas tank i can live with.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
Cat manxcceager comes down to the plant and says "now we arent gonna get all obama-care this year like we did last year and give out free snow suites n tunnel bags n chit....

f'ers are already gettin a new motor and somewhat new plastics...

take that f'n bumper off there!!! they get the sh*t bumper this year... Throw that aluminum shaft in the garbage were scrappin that..."

Dvvv
I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Flatcat12

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2013
Cat lost 62 dealers?

Just an FYI, don't be too optimistic on Country Cat having a bunch of holdovers next year like years past. I was told they ordered somewhere around 150 sleds last year, and are only ordering 46 this year. They are tired of taking a loss on so many sleds. They get no better pricing than any other Cat dealer. Cat lost like 62 dealers this year. Hope that's a wake up call for them, and they produce less sleds themselves. That will keep dealers around and in business, instead of ramming inventory down the dealers throats.

I don't know about losing 62 dealers all I know is I need to drive forever to get to a Cat dealer now. If I need parts on a weeknight I have to take time off of work to get there before they close. I pass two Polaris dealers and a Skidoo dealer on the way so so they must be doing something that Cat is not.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I don't know about losing 62 dealers all I know is I need to drive forever to get to a Cat dealer now. If I need parts on a weeknight I have to take time off of work to get there before they close. I pass two Polaris dealers and a Skidoo dealer on the way so so they must be doing something that Cat is not.

I wouldnt be surprised. Had 2 within a half hour of me a year ago (who have been cat dealers forever) and both of them are now dealers for other brands.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
I have two pretty close to me and I don't do business with either. When I can save money other places I will do business there. If you don't want to deal then I'll find someone that will

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I have 3 Cat dealers within an hour, probably 6 within 3 hours

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Yep we had 4 dealers in Western Washington tell Cat to pound sand in the last 4 or 5 years. They, for the most-part just got tired of their games such as making them take too many sleds, and not ones that sell in the Mountain market such as two-ups, Utilities, or Crossfires. Pretty sad. We actually have one within 10 miles of me that recently took on Cat , but I still drive 150 miles to not to business there.

Premium Features