• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'16 LTD - Priority mods?

N
Hey guys I have a basically stock '16 ltd and was looking to put some mods on for this winter. It has BX skis, E-sticky wrap, OFT Racing 1" post forward mod, and a MBRP can I bought used just to dump the stock suitcase.

I am part of a team and we are waiting to hear back on a possible exhaust sponsor, but I was curious what would be the best thing to do next? Depending on how said sponsor turns out I know for a full Jaws + boondocker box my buddy has for sale as he traded his 16 LTD for a axys.

I was thinking about either the new cat running boards, air temp sensor relocate, pipe kit + clutching, headlight delete.

Anything else that may be better or how I should prioritize it?

12642837_10153389861952951_596131194019225089_n.jpg

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
Skinny boards either from cat or b&m and suck the plastics in to match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Skinny boards and mountain cat mod with Tki drive. Forget the pipe til those are done. A stock mountain cat worked My piped clutched regeared belt driven 16 limited. With me riding both. That $200 chain case and drivers mod is the best money you can spend.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Get rid of the BX skis.
They are the worst thing i ever put on any sled in my life!
I've been ridding for over 25yrs. So im not a noob.
The stupid cable scratchers are 20times better than the BX ski on a cat.

GS6

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Gear up, clutch it and put on a diamond-s can. Ride it and figure out if you need the skinny boards and such. Can always add later. Don't overthink it.

N
Odd I love my BX's, second sled with the same set!

I have been really worried about this dropped chain case being in the line of fire for damage, especially with so many stumps due to forestry where I live.

I am trying to line up a set of cat boards as B&M would cost far too much before it got here due to being in Canada. I plan on pulling in the plastic with it.

I was thinking I try MDS clutching with the local jaws pipe I know of.

Would gearing up still be nessecary with clutching or should it be prioritized over it? I never noticed any issues with gearing myself.

Last edited:

2litre

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Don's speed shop in Wainwright Alberta (Cat Dealer) had a couple pairs of cat boards hanging on the showroom wall and various colors in stock. Decent bunch of Cat guys if you are looking for a pair in canada. I have bought lots of stuff over the phone from them and I finally had a chance to drop in last week, they seem like a good bunch.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Odd I love my BX's, second sled with the same set!

I have been really worried about this dropped chain case being in the line of fire for damage, especially with so many stumps due to forestry where I live.

I am trying to line up a set of cat boards as B&M would cost far too much before it got here due to being in Canada. I plan on pulling in the plastic with it.

I was thinking I try MDS clutching with the local jaws pipe I know of.

Would gearing up still be nessecary with clutching or should it be prioritized over it? I never noticed any issues with gearing myself.
Yes, gearing up absolutely nessissary. I ride In Ontario and frequently head to Labrador and the single best change was gearing. My 15 m8000 ran 19/50 (2.63) gearing stock and it was low, especially with all the power made at sea level. I switched to 20/50 (2.50) part way through its first season and now run 2.42 with TKI belt drive. My buddy justed picked a 2.33 belt drive for his 16 limited due to the 7 tooth drivers with the 3" track.

N
Yes, gearing up absolutely nessissary. I ride In Ontario and frequently head to Labrador and the single best change was gearing. My 15 m8000 ran 19/50 (2.63) gearing stock and it was low, especially with all the power made at sea level. I switched to 20/50 (2.50) part way through its first season and now run 2.42 with TKI belt drive. My buddy justed picked a 2.33 belt drive for his 16 limited due to the 7 tooth drivers with the 3" track.

What would really be the benefit of gearing up? I figured being geared lower usually made it pull harder, always did the opposite and dropped gearing on my past sleds. Never thought so many people would be gearing up!

What would be the best gearing ratio to go with if I were to change it? Belt drive isn't high on my list just yet but the gear's aren't much to change.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
What would really be the benefit of gearing up? I figured being geared lower usually made it pull harder, always did the opposite and dropped gearing on my past sleds. Never thought so many people would be gearing up!

What would be the best gearing ratio to go with if I were to change it? Belt drive isn't high on my list just yet but the gear's aren't much to change.

The sleds make may too much power to limit it's potential by under gearing. When it's geared too low it's sluggish at wot and looses a lot of track speed.

I'd say at sea level you want at least 2.50 but would say to run 2.42. Are you a 16 limited with 3" track and 7 tooth drivers? If so you're lower again doe to the smaller diameter drivers. Lie I said before, guys with the limited near me at sea level are running 2.33

Last edited:
N
The sleds make may too much power to limit it's potential by under gearing. When it's geared too low it's sluggish at wot and looses a lot of track speed.

I'd say at sea level you want at least 2.50 but would say to run 2.42. Are you a 16 limited with 3" track and 7 tooth drivers? If so you're lower again doe to the smaller diameter drivers. Lie I said before, guys with the limited near me at sea level are running 2.33

Yes it's a LTD with 3", and by the looks of it I will be running Stage 1 Speedwerx kit this year plus rage cages.

Premium Features