• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tight track tension ruining track?

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
I have a challenger extreme 2.5 on my pro rmk with about 5000km on it. Been running the polaris spec track tension this winter which is pretty tight but anytime I adjust it to spec, I noticed that after the next ride the track would be loosened up a bit. For a while I just kept tightening it a bit but its still doing it.

Noticed today that the rear idlers make a bulge in the outside of the track, where the wheels ride. Only while the track is against the wheels. Looked closer and saw that some of the lugs are starting to tear on the outside, in the area where the rear wheels ride. The tearing is only on the outside of the track, looking on the inside there is no tear. When sections with the tear at the base of the lug, wrap about the rear idlers, you can see the tear open up.

Track is 2 years old. Looks like I might have to replace it in the future. Any opinions?? Would bigger aftermarket wheels help if track had less of a tight bend to go around?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
How is the track alignment?

When you retighten the track, has the bolt been backing out, or are you actually pushing the rear axle back further each time?

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
The bolts aren't backing out, jam nuts are secure. Have been actually moving the axle back further each time.

Alignment seems ok coming off the drive cogs but if you look in at the rear idlers the inside track lugs seem to be very close to the rear wheels. No abnormal wear on idler wheels or inside track lugs though. As if the track is too far toward clutch side. But up in the tunnel and looking at the cogs alignment seems ok. I did notice though that when the adjustment bolts for the rear wheels are at even lengths, the track sags more on the exhaust side and seems tighter on the clutch side. Not sure if any of this is related to the problem.

Have also noticed, looking up into the tunnel, where the track rides over the top wheels, the track dips down in the center as if the top idler wheels sit too high or something. Maybe it's normal.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Sounds like the signs are trying to tell you something.
Without looking at it in person, it sounds like there is something. There may be some sort of alignment issue, whether it's drivers, bent rails, or rear axle.

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
The driveshaft and cogs were brand new this fall, drivers have no abnormal wear on them. I had the skid out a couple weeks ago and checked the rails and they looked straight. Also had rear axle apart in the fall and no issues with it. I still don't think any of that explains the buldge that the wheels are putting on the track. Maybe the bulge is normal from the tension on the rear wheels and the track has just come to the end of its life lol

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The driveshaft and cogs were brand new this fall, drivers have no abnormal wear on them. I had the skid out a couple weeks ago and checked the rails and they looked straight. Also had rear axle apart in the fall and no issues with it. I still don't think any of that explains the buldge that the wheels are putting on the track. Maybe the bulge is normal from the tension on the rear wheels and the track has just come to the end of its life lol

My camox did the same.
Just run it.
Wont hurt anything.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Did yours also have the small tears at the base of the lugs in a few spots? I'm just afraid if I keep tightening it that they will keep getting bigger and eventually rip the track apart

It had a bunch of tears in it yes.
Lost a ton of lugs on rocks and trees.
Still going strong on a buddies sled.

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
It had a bunch of tears in it yes.
Lost a ton of lugs on rocks and trees.
Still going strong on a buddies sled.

Did it keep loosening up?

Maybe my track isn't stretching, maybe the wheels are just wearing into the track more. Very weird though.

I might tighten it to spec once more and then leave it be.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

Maybe my track isn't stretching, maybe the wheels are just wearing into the track more. Very weird though.

If it's not ratcheting at spec.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

It didn't keep loosening.
But like i said at first it did exactly everything else you described.
The wheels telegraph through the track more on the new single ply tracks.
NBD.

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
It didn't keep loosening.
But like i said at first it did exactly everything else you described.
The wheels telegraph through the track more on the new single ply tracks.
NBD.

That makes me feel a bit better. I'm gonna tighten up a little to spec again and keep running it for now. appreciate the info

Premium Features