• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'14 High Country LTD problems

A

akinneberg

Apr 6, 2009
Fargo, ND
Yesterday toward the end of the ride, my electric start quit working. I turn the key and just hear a click from the solenoid and the motor doesn't crank. Yes the battery is good. (has 12.4 volts)

It ran flawless all day, but when I got back to the truck and shut it off for an hour or so before we loaded it up. Now once I start it up (pull start now!) it idles at 3800 RPMs or so and doesn't idle down. It almost takes off without a rider. Still runs perfect, just idles REALLY high.

Not sure if the two problems are related. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow, but I hate to bring it in for warranty work because I'd rather be riding it.

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
ive been pull starting mine for a few rides now with the same issues.. I believe if you pull the clutch side panel off you will find the little actuator thing behind the primary clutch.. its probably full of belt dust and sticking which is keeping it from engaging the starter gear..

SHOOT DEERE IT IS

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2013
WI
E-start on my HC went out at about 600 miles on my 14. Took it in they said it was the starter. Replaced it, worked for about a day......same crap. Relay just clicks.

SHOOT DEERE IT IS

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2013
WI
Not sure but I went through a fence line yesterday and some brush kind of hit/kinked the throttle cable around the steering post area and was doing the same thing. Straightened it out and hasn't been a problem.

A

akinneberg

Apr 6, 2009
Fargo, ND
Just checked throttle cable end to end, and found a small kink straightened it out, and sprayed the cable by the throttle bodies with WD-40, and seems to be idling good now. Thanks.

Called the dealer, and he said that there is some sort of a washer that can get turned on the starter shaft and cause it not to engage. He said it's not a real fast fix, so I'll be bringing it in after the riding season to get that taken care of.

C
Dec 11, 2013
On my 13 HC

I was talking to the dealer and there is a factory update, so maybe the 14s will get it as well. Haven't had an issue on mine. Knock on wood this won't create one with the update.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
2014 PC starter issue

I have a 2014 Limited with the same starter issue. rode all day then no starter. Clicks. Checked the battery 12.6... All the ground wires look good. Dropping it of to the dealer.... 300 miles.

R

RiotCountry

Jul 11, 2010
Minneapolis
I just lost the shaft on mine behind the primary. Could've ruined the weekend but thankfully I caught it and got it to the dealer. Unfortunately for me to be able to ride they had to cut the shaft off with an angle grinder.

I wouldn't be using my electric start until you get the update. It could do some serious damage to the primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
Mine on my 13 LTD M has been working great, but after the few last rides, it has been a little trouble maker. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn`t.
My key froze several times too.

BTW, the e-start weight with battery is about 28 lbs. That`s what I have been told, so this weekend a friend of mine will remove the e-start and battery for me.
I`m tired of a battery that want last, e-start that want engage sometimes and sometimes not.

Pull start for me from now :D

B
Sep 11, 2013
Michigan
Yesterday toward the end of the ride, my electric start quit working. I turn the key and just hear a click from the solenoid and the motor doesn't crank. Yes the battery is good. (has 12.4 volts)

It ran flawless all day, but when I got back to the truck and shut it off for an hour or so before we loaded it up. Now once I start it up (pull start now!) it idles at 3800 RPMs or so and doesn't idle down. It almost takes off without a rider. Still runs perfect, just idles REALLY high.

Not sure if the two problems are related. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow, but I hate to bring it in for warranty work because I'd rather be riding it.

Same thing happend to my 14M out riding went to start it up and nothing just the click. Have about 700 miles on her pull starts just fine but really pisses me off!

Premium Features