• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris underpowered?

$
Feb 11, 2010
Rigby, ID
K guys, I'm seriously considering the Pro-RMK. But I'm also seriously considering the e tec. The only reason I'd want the e tec is for the extra power. However, I'd like some input on if you pro riders really feel like your pros are underpowered. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
It is underpowered compared to a boosted 4 stroke, but as far as I'm concerned you don't by a 2 stroke these days to be king of the hill. I've got 3 rides on my 2012 pro and it does exactly what I want it too. Handles great, gets up on the snow great, and has snappy throttle response. What more do ya need?:)

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Dont go off of the HP numbers, go off of how it performs on the Mountain. The Pro is not underpowered, just underated. When it comes to the dealer #'s IMO.

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
Ha yeah I'm not one to rate a sled by the dyno, I just care if it runs on the snow like you say! So nobody's been gettin spanked bye doos?

The Pro may not out drag race the Doo but If you can ride a sled it will kill it in the trees. Thats my kinda riding. IMO depends on where you ride. I love my Pro!

Stone

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Just buy poweraddictions 1100 and not worry about whos weiner is bigger i doubt there are very many sleds that would stick with a 1100 pro in the trees.

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
Every stock XP (800 powerteck) and Stock M8 I have raced in powder, low elevation, high elevation, on trail, low snow I have been faster with my underpowered 11 163. If you want a big HP number by a 4stroke turbo sled, if you want a sled that is mountain sled of the year then get a PRO Ride.

D
Oct 13, 2008
Me and the wife took the new 163's out today for the first time. Just road ridn to break them in. Came off 07 revs with slp kits that ran very well. All I can say is that I was more than happy with the power. This is even with extra oil in tank and started ride with .1 miles on odometer. The throttle was very crisp and sled pulled hard all day. VERY VERY HAPPY. It may have less hp, but I think it gets more of it to the ground. And I have not even installed the Power Addiction heads yet, OH YEA.

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
on more than one occasion i've had doo riders comment on thier displeasure of my line choice while riding in the trees. seems that miles of cutting and sidehilling through the trees is not of their likeing... go figure!!! all while trying to keep up with my little underpowered pro;)

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
I can't say for sure about the etec. But we have several pro's and xp's in our riding group and they are super close .... IMO it all comes down to the rider.

And as far as Pro power output- I bought a 2012 pro 163" Comming off a HEAVY modded M1000 that destroyed N/A sleds. And althoughit doesn't pull like my cat, the light weight and handling of the Pro make it an awesome upgrade.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
If the Pro had the same horsepower as the competition, there would be some serious whining. Being the lowest rated horsepower, it sure works like the big dog.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Each sled has it's merits. I liked my Etec, but I'm happier on my Pro. Just put 100 miles on the new Pro and love it. It is much easier for me to handle and that's what is important to me.

P

Polaris2012

Nov 6, 2011
Layton UT
Depends on where you ride and what kind of riding. If you want to trail ride get the Skidoo haha just kidding but I love my pro it handles awesome very responsive sled!!!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
If they said the Pro only had a 100 HP and it was awesome in the snow and beating others would you shy away??? Who cares what the numbers are, look at what it does!!

Premium Features