• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'12 demo ride, finally

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
This is my first take but by no means solid info, although my first ride of the season and coming off a broken leg(kinda weak) I felt comfortable and pushed it to its limits. I felt like I was riding just a few weeks ago (until I got stuck, lol)
Sweet sled and would take over an M and any other sled, then mod the heII out of it. I really like it so don't take my comments as bashing but as I plan on pushing it to new limits so take it for what its worth.
The snow was somewhat soft but firm and half a base you could still break through, really good snow to test all aspects of a sled.
On the bumps, no chatter like the M, the suspension feels firm but plush and doesn't beat you up, works great. I ripped straight into a few 3ft hits and think I only used 2/3rds of the shock stroke and I was ready to get tossed but the absorbed it, very smooth for that kind of hit. Looking forward to putting it to the test.
The steering, easy but the lack of radius is a joke and funky as heII. They made it steer easy for the panzy's out there and we lost ability.
(keep in mind I'm 6'6" 210lbs) For a stocker the bars arent bad but will need to go down on boost for the really steep sidehills and climbs, I also think they might be usefull farther forward. When I stand comfortably my feet are pretty far back on the boards but in steep sidehills I was trying different foot position and if I put my feet all the way forward while wrong foot forward the bars are to close and makes it hard to use them.

When sidehilling there is no breaking point like the M, pro-rmk or any other sled, it rolls up and transitions very smooth and controllable. When on the throttle it feels light, real light, when stuck, not so much. It hops on the snow and lifts the skis just off the snow but doesn't wheelie, very nice transition. Once up you can stand centered and carve with ease. Out of the box (with proper break in) ran wide open and ran great 40miles. When sidehilling it tips up to a point but hits a little bit of a wall and tries to push back--only in a real steep sidehill though. Not sure if its the lack of steering or its piling the lower body and running boards into the snow causing drag and trying to set it back down/ dragging. The really cool thing is, if you have ridden an M when it tries to kick down hill you better have a grip or your going down with it, on the 12 you could lay it down hill and bring it right back into the hill. Unbelievable control in that aspect and never once felt like I was going to get tossed. But I need to find a way to get it farther on its side, maybe dropping the suspension, more steering or if all else fails build a new lower body and running boards. If the pro-rmk has anything on this sled its that its a bit lighter and narrower, thats about it and without side by side comparison I could be wrong. Put it on one ski and it turns in an instant unlike the m when you lay it all the way over and it slides straight down on the hood.
Jumps, it does what i always wished the M would, the M is still a contender you will just have to work harder, take a beating on the trail, and bounce the nose cone off stuff. The '12 feels like it will be very flickable in the air, looking forward to expanding that aspect.

When riding it looks and feels narrow. Those dumb a arms and spindles, well you will never know they are there.
IMO, could use a little clutching, not bad but was seeing 78-8150 on sidehills and think there is more to be had.
I smoked a belt after 5 miles of 80+mph and think some of it may have been from the snow dust from the sled in front getting to the clutch because I was able to touch the clutch after it blew. But it tore the f ck out of the guard, another sled pushed just as hard has 80miles and still pulling. If I did a WOT pull on any M for more than 1mile on the trail it would eat a belt. Before the trail out the belt looked perfect so running that kind of speed prob did it not something I would worry about other than if you blow one shut it down quick in case the guard winds up in the clutch.

What pi$$es me off, no storage, no 1000cc 2 stroke, really miss the 1000 to help pack my 210lbs, and no I don't want some retard heavy 4 stroke, anyone that wants to dispute that come follow me for a day and you will know what I'm talking about, its all rider preference so no offense, its just not my style of sled.

Plans, one at a time
mess with steering/ bar height and position.
drop rear skid test and then kmod
clutching, waiting for more info on that.
can/drop weight, (custom hood etc...)
tunnel wrap to shed snow
open up running boards and maybe narrow up.
add storage, hate stuff on my back.
then add boost and make as light as possible

now I just have to wait for the sled to get in.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Its not a problem or something I would worry about. So put a new one on. add vents and frog skins prob, the other sled had twice as many miles and was ran harder. Did you catch where I said I was over 80mph for over 5miles straight and eating the snow chunks and dust from the sled in front, might start there. The belt and clutching is the best starting point of any sled on the market right now. Don't get stupid and worry about a non issue, the only issue is if you crumple the belt guard and to keep it out of the clutch. For all I know it need cleaned from the factory and didn't get it.

Last edited:
I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Yea that belt gaurd may as well be made from tin foil. For a sled that is a lil hvy there sure isn't anything extra in the gaurd.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Here is what I have been watching. Looks like a few companies will be coming out with the things we need.
http://riderasmussenstyle.blogspot.com/?spref=fb

I had been watching up to a few weeks ago but just looked again, funny on bret wanting the boards narrower as do I, but will doing my own fabricating and different, I am 6'6 not 5'9. the snow flap needs chucked, doesn't hardly catch the snow anyway. I was also kicking snow out of the boards constantly.

Last edited:
D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Re first ride impressions

How did the 12's stock suspension compare to say a K-mod suspension on the older M's? I have an 09 m8 with a Kmod and was curious how the new suspension compares. As for missing the 1000 2 stroke power will the older 1000 fit into this chassis?

Justified

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
wyo, what did you think of the sled getting on top of the snow? does it seem to be better improvment from the M? I just picked up a pro climb and put a camo extreme under. hope this performs!
is there some must haves before its put on the snow, any thoughts?
clutching?
Skid set up?
nice post

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
How did the 12's stock suspension compare to say a K-mod suspension on the older M's? I have an 09 m8 with a Kmod and was curious how the new suspension compares. As for missing the 1000 2 stroke power will the older 1000 fit into this chassis?

MBMS and SHOP on here are stuffing one in as we speak. The ride of the new sled is better and smoother overall compared to the conversion, havent rode the raptors yet but can imagine they are better, but the control is still not like a kmod. granted if you had this shock on the m it might make all the difference. For instance when you are climbing through the trees following someones track stockers climb in and out of the rut and fight you, in general they absorb terrain but the kmod controls it. and now we have a front suspension that works. Any of the other sled riders will love this thing, the doo guys will still think the xp has more snap because of clutching but I doubt more power, wait and see. The shocks also feel progressive unlike the old ones.

Maybe I should have just reposted bretts blog, I hadent looked at it since the steering post comments and I pretty much have the same approach and mods needed. only real diff is the seat height (not sure on that) and I might move the steering forward a bit for those real steep sidehills, but that is going to depend on the steering radius and running board width. Can't believe they made them 3" wider, thats f ing retarded on a mountain sled, WTF.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
pops up nice, got stuck once on a slight slope after loosing my footing and it just spun without moving and I broke through, but if the sled starts moving it jump out and starts going. faster than the m.

Must have for my, more steering for sure, and prob narrow boards. Bar height is not a huge problem on a stocker, but on a turbo when you can really lay into it and keep pulling its going to need dropped. and some dam storage.

My biggest issue is I have to wait for it to get in before I can tear it down and start modding. hopefully next weekend.
The sled is not going to leave behind the M or other sleds, it is just opening new doors.

Last edited:

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
Sure is!

I got looking at the brochure for the sleds and I will be inspecting mine tomorrow. It appears that there is a couple of holes in the arm that connects from the steering post. If you move that mount point closer the post it will make the steering effort a bit harder and quicker.

Like I said I will be doing my track change tomorrow so I will look at this and take some pictures on my findings.

KJP

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
You would have to go farther out on the arm for more steering. geo did it.
Unless it was the arm going from the vert post to the other laydown post on the joint of the laydone post. ??? let us know.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
i spent the last 4 days playing with a 12 sp

I have been trying to get a turbo to put on a sled for 4 weeks and finally got one from shain. I now know what its like to give a water buffalo a ride in a prius. It took me 4 times longer mainly because new sled the to put a 2878 in it with blow off valved 4 inches around. It was just tight as heck. I just road it and it runs good. Good bottom end I could only get it to about 4 lb with the roads I had but very responsive. Sled feels good a little top heavy compared to the m but ride was smooth.

Thanks shain for hooking me up with a twisted kit.

Last edited:
Premium Features