• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 SB Assault Best Bang For my $ mods For All around Performance

06IQRMK

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
Bought a 2012 Switchback assault. Snowchecked it with the 2" paddle... I rode a 11' last year all season just wanted to upgrade to get the 4 yr warranty. For the next year or two i want to be able to ride it reliably without problems at its fullest potential. Thinking about this carls 900 kit that is still in testing so for now I am looking to add a couple things to help out with the power loss in the mountains but really want to do the greatest good with the least dollars involved here. I took the old SB out west last year and loved it, im already hoping i fixed a one of my major complaints with it by swapping skis to the Grippers... I know being as it is a crossover i am not going to have the highmark, or be the fastest sled on the trail and thats fine with me. Im more of a boondocker anyway, and just all around performance. (the only mountain sled i ride with is a 30000.00$ CR Stage III nytro and i know i wont beat him anyway...)

Was thinking: High Comp. Altitude head? Yes, or no? and which one??? usually 8000-12k altitude. I ride out west two to three weeks a year and was told at least on the 10' that i had, that was the best dollars spent for riding out west.
How about Clutch kit? I obviously re-spring and weight to the altitude (as polaris recommends) and add delrin washers to my secondary, but is there a clutch kit that will make my jaw drop both in the mountains and at home (iowa) on the trail?

Im planning on adding SLP high Flow intake kit, I have a BMP Powder light can, and like i said I already changed the ski's out to grippers. I really would like to avoid running race gas too so it would have to be pump gas mods only.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Im a little confussed! You said you bought a 2012 just to get the 4 year warranty and now all you are talking about is voiding the warranty? I would say just ride it!!! Some Clutching and Can and have fun. You already spent the extra money to get the warranty you might as well take advantage of it for a bit. Just my $.02

06IQRMK

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
Mods

My dealer has always worked with me on my sled, obviously they wont replace the motor if it blows up and i have a high compression head on it, but they wont completely void the warranty. If I have ecu Issues, or my running board braces break off at the mounts (happened last year) or my wiring gets balled up in the secondary because it didnt get routed right at the factory (happened last year also...) they will gladly take care of it without a question. That little annoying crap is what nickel and dimes you to death. Every brand has little problems so the warranty will cover me on those little annoyances. Spending money on a little extra reliable power doesnt scare me right now, i just dont want to dump tons of money into the motor and then throw out those parts and start over with a 900 kit next year.

O

Outlaw525s

Nov 19, 2010
i would go with a hps can...or a full slp pipe and can also then do a carls cyvcle clutch kit and other small mods...and ride that thing!

Premium Features