• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Handguards

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Last year I used the Polaris ones.. They were good.. This year I think I will try the Powermadd PowerX flexible guards.. I want to see how well they hold up and the price is also good.. :face-icon-small-ton

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i ran the regular powermadd's.. the work good.. if you dont roll.. broke like 4 bolts then the plastic nubs that attached them.. now they sit in a box.. theyy do help keep your hand warm on the trail but if your wreck a lot.. get something mroe stout.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
I run some Polisport guards. They're pretty lousy and I've had to replace the bolts a couple times. Break easily on a roll. Good thing is bolts are cheap. I just keep a couple extra in my tool bag.

Mainly mine serve to deflect all the random branches I seem to ram into all the time. Wind deflection is minor, but yeah some maybe. I'd probably go for a set of Skinz Pro's coupled with some RSI guards if I was buying a set mainly for wind deflection.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I just use the factory Polaris guards. They only issue I have had with them is breaking/twisting the plastic blocks that go between the bar mount and the guard. And yes, they do help for direct wind protection.

Also, check out the Skinz Heat Loc Pro guards, they will provide much more coverage and are easy to attach/remove.

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
On one of my sleds I run Powermadd and on the other I run Sporttech. The Sporttech guards to me provide more coverage because they have rounded shape and are a little bigger. But, overall I like the Powermadd guards better because of the looks and also that they have more adjustability. In terms of durability, they have both held up well, but I have not had any roll-overs or any major crashes. Just my .02.

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
I use the Polaris mounts and guards, I have broken the mounts off twice (tig welded them). I made a small (L) shaped piece of aluminum that has a ty-rap holding it so when the sled rolls it breaks the ty-rap not the guard.

Small 5.jpg

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I should have mentioned my sled tends to get rolled over often, not cartwheeled or anything violent but for some reason I get into odd situations.

I had been looking at the powermadds, are they pretty sturdy?

I'm thinking about trying these, my buddy uses them on his bike and they are sturdy and pivot to prevent breaking. The bar behind the deflector will help in the woods.

http://www.enduroeng.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000084C-1224102381

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I put Skinz handgaurds on both of our sleds, and they work great for deflecting wind, but don't offer much protection from branches. They are nice in that you can remove them on a warm day and put them back on in seconds. Another nice feature is that they move out of the way when you change your grip on the handle bars to side hill. My sled has gone to the bottom of the hill without me a couple times and the hand gaurds are still in one piece!!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I put Skinz handgaurds on both of our sleds, and they work great for deflecting wind, but don't offer much protection from branches. They are nice in that you can remove them on a warm day and put them back on in seconds. Another nice feature is that they move out of the way when you change your grip on the handle bars to side hill. My sled has gone to the bottom of the hill without me a couple times and the hand gaurds are still in one piece!!

im gonna take my guards off and go with Trenchmasters set up from Skinz,,,it really seems to be the best of both worlds and warmth is the factor im after

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I bought Sportech guards back in about 2003.

They've cracked a little but they are still holding out.
I'm not going to replace them til they are done...but I'd try something a little less rigid and a little more flexible next time.

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
I've got the sportechs. No complaints. Definately helps keep my hands warmer and more protected from tree branches and such.

Premium Features