• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 MC vs 18 dilema

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
There really isn't great options for hoods. Why... beats me. It would be so simple.

Maybe on the new plastics I'll finally buck up and build something.

I've got the kmod and mountain fit to work well. But in some conditions you have to pay a little attention

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I'd keep the 17' MC and wait till 19 when the new chassis comes out. The stock ski isn't near as bad as the old (pre-2016) cat ski, but grippers are far better. I wouldn't count on losing 10lbs on a front end kit, maybe 2-3lbs at best.

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
I'd keep the 17' MC and wait till 19 when the new chassis comes out. The stock ski isn't near as bad as the old (pre-2016) cat ski, but grippers are far better. I wouldn't count on losing 10lbs on a front end kit, maybe 2-3lbs at best.

The BDX kit is 10lbs loss. Its headlight delete plus lighter intake components from them. The only think Cat is the side panels and belly pans but I'd assume they will make changes to use the 18' side panels

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
New sleds

So there's a possiblity we'll see a new chassis in 2019?
I think I'll take the 2018 and wait till 2020 for the new chassis to have a year on the snow to see how it works before I buy one.
I really like my stock 2015 M800 and love my 2016 M800 turbo which is basically a Mountain cat.
I have a 2012 and don't want to go through that learning curve again.
Hopefully cat learned lots from 2012 and the new chassis won't have any first year problems.
Time will tell.

Last edited:

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com

Yep.

My thinking is the ctec 600 was released in 14 the 15 was supposed to have new motor and new chassis refinements but the engine needed further testing so they pushed it Back to 16. 16 was going to have all the 16 changes plus new engine and ascender platform but the engine again wasn't quite there so they used a few of the changes to keep sales alive. 17 for sure going to have new engine and ascender platform piston supplier issues force one more year of testing so few more changes released. Now 18 engine is ready so remaining changes are released. If you were to take a 14 and add all the changes to make it 18 you are essentially 90% new sled there's your new chassis just been released in pieces. Just my opinion but this chassis works so well I don't expect big changes for a few more years.

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
Are you saying that you think there's a new chassis hiding under the new body work?
I think the chassis has evolved, and is as good as or better than the competition. I'm not interested in seeing Cat drop weight so we can shatter bulkheads or bend tunnels.

Yes, they'll need to change to stay ahead, but I like the refined platform and hope we see 3+ years of it.

Sent from my Palm Pilot

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
New chassis

I'd like to see this chassis keep evolving also.
It's gotten lots better since 2012.

I'd also hate to see them make a weak tunnel and bulkhead and have all the problems the doo guys have had since the revs came out.
Over the years I would have wrecked lots of sleds/chassis if I was riding a Doo or Poo. Probably would have twisted a few Polaris pro tunnels at the same time.
I've took some hard hits over the years with no cat chassis problems.

I'd gladly ride the heaviest chassis and avoid all that head ache.

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
I think the chassis has evolved, and is as good as or better than the competition. I'm not interested in seeing Cat drop weight so we can shatter bulkheads or bend tunnels.

Yes, they'll need to change to stay ahead, but I like the refined platform and hope we see 3+ years of it.

Sent from my Palm Pilot

That's about funny, my MC tunnel is all buckled to **** from having almost 10lbs of stuff in the tunnel bag that came with the sled. Completely caved in the tunnel under the bag area and buckled the sides. I'm pissed they went with the lightweight tunnel extension, now I have to replace it with 16' style so there is some sort of strength.

Other than that its great!

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
After market boards

That's about funny, my MC tunnel is all buckled to **** from having almost 10lbs of stuff in the tunnel bag that came with the sled. Completely caved in the tunnel under the bag area and buckled the sides. I'm pissed they went with the lightweight tunnel extension, now I have to replace it with 16' style so there is some sort of strength.

Other than that its great!

Do you have after markets boards?
I'm not saying this is your problem but I've seen after market boards cause this problem.
If to much is cut away from the boards and tunnel by the rear drop brackets the tunnel can get weak and bend.
It's just something that I've seen happen.
I like vanamburgs tunnel and bumper extension.
There's a few after market bumpers that way strengthen the area that's bent on your sled.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
This is part of the reason I got the Cat boards for my '17 chassis swap into my '14. Has a brace that goes back and ties into the bumper for a little more support with the lightweight extension. I noticed last night that the top of my '14 tunnel has small dimples under the back corners of my trail tank fuel tank. Couldn't see them with the tank in place. Guessing it's from too many tail-standers on hard snow trying to flex the tunnel up. It's definitely seen things that would taco a Polaris tunnel.

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
Yes I do have aftermarket boards, but where the bag mounts on top of the tunnel is also caved in. What I noticed is while looking inside the tunnel Cat used every other hole when riveting the bumper on. Where the tunnel is buckled is where they did not install a rivet in two locations on each side. If those rivets were in place there would have been a lot more strength to the area.

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
Losing 5lbs of rotating mass is noticeable though as well. 10lbs off the intake with the BDX stuff will help a lot. I cant stand listening to these sleds with an open intake so the only way I'll do one is if its still pulling air from up top.

I agree with you there. I love the weight reduction and how the snow doesn't pile up on my hood but I swear the intake noise is louder than my exhaust when you're riding the sled.

I buy in the holdover world, just don't like loosing thousands of dollars the minute I buy something. Love my 16 so much this will be the first year since 11 I'm gonna ride the same sled 2 seasons. Will buy a 18 holdover in 19 for less than 10k and love it and all the money I get to keep in my pocket:)

I buy holdover sleds as well. I don't like paying for all that depreciation just to have a new sled that I'm gonna take out of the crate and cut apart and modify.

Every sled I've seen running an aftermarket hood has a disgusting low end bog.. who's got the fix for that? Both are speedwerx pipes and ran crisp prior to the hoods

Was the air sensor relocated to the plenum in front of the throttle bodies? My sled with the jaws pipe and a homemade headlight delete and nose style intake is as crisp as can be down low. Throttle response is crisp and very quick. My intake pulls from the top of the nose and the sides under the hood panels and the sides down. By the bumper. Only thing I can't stand is how much intake noise there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features