• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building a snowbike, would love some input/help!

E
Jan 22, 2017
Hey guys, I'm going to build my 08 crf450 (widely considered the best rendition of the crf450 ever made) into a snowbike, and have it ready by next year. So I'm wondering, what are some essential build components? What are the essentials for a great snowbike?

Been riding dirt bikes for over 20 years, rode a snowmobile for the first time this winter, had a ton of fun, then tried a snowbike and I'm completely hooked. I just really love the maneuverability of a snowbike compared to the sled.

Obviously, the sled wins in a drag race, so power seems to be the only area where the bike is lacking. I considered getting a big bore and converting it into a snowbike, but then weight ends up being more of an issue. Both the ktm 690 and the Husqy 701 are over a hundred lbs. heavier than the 450. Also, I really don't want to put some heavy v-twin in a frame it isn't meant for, when you can just mod the 450 and be perfectly fine.

At this point, multiple claims are all over the internet of 450's putting out over 100 HP with turbo chargers and such. That would make a 450 lightning fast, but is it reliable or even all that viable? Or should I stick to the basic engine mods like a pipe, intake, carb, port, compression, etc?

What should I do to the forks? Obviously stiffer springs are in order, is there anything else?

Every review I've read says that the Yeti conversion is the best out there and puts the others to shame. Would you guys agree? Are there any others to consider?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice! I'll be sure to update this thread with progress.

Last edited:

Raze Moto

Lifetime Membership
May 23, 2016
www.razemotorsports.com
Recomendations for snowbike build

That is a good bike to start out with. The 2017 cr450 is an absolutely awesome machine for many reasons. Honda reliabilty, great power, electric start and kick start....

Definitly stick with the 450 or 500 class engines. The 690 and 701 are pretty heavy set ups.

90 HP seems to be the magic number when it comes to any sorts of reliability with the yz&sx 450. We have spent countless hours of R&D trying to produce the ultimate package for these 2 engines. Anything over 90 hp and hardparts start to break. I cant speak for the Honda but I'd imagine its in the same realm.

The list of musts that we always recommend when our customers ask us is as follows.

1. Get the Forks done. This is probably the most important thing in having a good Snowbike experience. RMR is Canada and Brockstar performance are some of the best in the industry.

2. A thermostat to get the bike out of the fuel enrichment table.

3. Handlebar Heat. Be careful using electric grips on any of the race bikes that dont have much output on the charging system. If you start pulling to much out it will drop the fuel pressure and mess with the ignition system as well.
Check out our raze motorsports coolant heated handlebars.

4. Hand guards. You will be taking way different lines than a snowmobile and most definitely smashing your hands if you don't have guards. We run Acerbis or Reflex Racing.

5. You sit on a snowbike a lot more than riding a dirtbike so having a nice seat is huge. Seat Concepts is what most guys are going with.

6. Wrap the exhaust pipe with header tape or get a heat shield. There are a ton of companies making exhaust shields. Enter it in the search bar and it will point you in the right direction.

7. The stock ECU on the 450 race bikes do not altitude compensate on the fly and were never designed to deal with some of the environments we put the snowbikes threw. If you are going to be riding in the mountains we make an ECU that is snowbike specific with a Barometric pressure sensor on the ecu, a lower cold enrichment table to keep the fuel out of the oil, and calibrations that are snowbike specific that make more power.

8. Larger foot pegs and shift lever. Snow boots are big. Fastway, elevation products, Z broz, and a few others are making some good stuff.

Thats just a few of our recommendations. Good luck with your build.

Gorilla Handlebars FINAL WEB_Gorilla_Bars.jpg

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
My list of Must Haves (i ride an 07 crf450x)
Softer seat.
Stiffer forks. (im assuming its a 450r) and they have softer springs and you will bottom out a lot Also get them re-valved if you can afford to
Hand guards I like bigger ones to help block the wind
Heated grips. If you have an 450r then go with a bigger stator or (and they are expensive) but go with Raze. I think with the handlebars you also get a thermostat.
Wrap your exhaust with the wrap.
Your going to need to blanket your engine to keep temps up. And you need a thermostat to keep an eye on that temp.

My list of things that are nice
Recluse clutch. Its expensive but its worth it. Kicking your bike on snow can be difficult and in a tight spot nearly impossible. Recluse will help keep it from dying.
Wider pegs (im still riding stock but ive tried wider pegs and they are nice. But idk about $300 nice)
headlight or a helmet headlamp.
handlebar risers with rubber mounts. (im running at higher RPMs and after riding a friends 450r with stock bars for an hour my hands were tingling.
I went for a carbon fiber skid plate to keep snow from sticking. I love it

Far as engine mods i am defiantly not the pro

My bike now is piped, Jetted.
I rode one with a hot cam. Very noticeable
So next year im thinking cam, valves, and maybe a big bore kit. (maybe).
If I had EFI i would get the Raze nitrous kit. Look it up it looks amazing. and very engine safe.

I personally would stay away from turbos. in the open areas and hill climbing it would be awesome. But thats not where i ride. Im side hilling and bobing trees. not where the turbo does much.

Far as track kits go there are many threads on this discussion. I think the trend is yeti is a little better on roads and timbersled is a little better on powder. Ive only ridden timbersled and i love it. i have the 17 st le with the fox shocks and on the groomed road its really not that bad. top speed of 45-50 and i go that fast all the time on the road. just takes some getting used to.

Premium Features