• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Handguards: Why/Why not?

Why don't you use handguards?

• Ineffective

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • Cost

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Interference

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • They Break

Votes: 98 54.1%
  • Other

Votes: 26 14.4%

• Total voters

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
So I was wondering why people are running handguards on the Pro
and conversely why aren't you running handguards? Is it the mounts, effectiveness, or do they seem to get in the way?

Personally I love handguards for the wind protection so I can wear a lighter glove. They also protest my hands when tree riding, but I currently do not run them because the mounts for the pro taper bars are rubbish and very weak.

Edit:

What is missing in current designs of both the mounts and of the handguards that you would like to see, that might convince you to use then?

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Hand guards are worthless flatlander bling.

BARKBUSTERS on the other hand serve a number of purposes, work very well, and will very easily outlast your next 3 sleds.

I won't run a sled or bike without them.

Your poll is missing the only option that's not a waste of money. :D

Cycra guards btw work AWESOME on the sled. strong frame, lots of room ( I usually add a spacer to the center mount to run them out in the middle, but the end is more square than most, so they have a lot of hand room), and they have a guard that blocks the wind very well.

Last edited:

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
Looks like I've used them. I would like to have Bark Busters but I bought these for my old Dragon and then put them on the Pro. I have broken the mounts several times, just weld them back up.

Attachments

• Hand Guard.jpg
    Hand Guard.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 542

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
When I had hand guards I loved them but they broke the first ride this year. Doesn't take much to break the new lock & ride polaris ones. So I think I'll save my money and deal with the cold.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Looks like I've used them. I would like to have Bark Busters but I bought these for my old Dragon and then put them on the Pro. I have broken the mounts several times, just weld them back up.

Those are well used!!

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
When I had hand guards I loved them but they broke the first ride this year. Doesn't take much to break the new lock & ride polaris ones. So I think I'll save my money and deal with the cold.

Mine broke and I never replaced them. $40-50 every time you roll is just too much to handle

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Talking about warmth, the cycras work well for that. I run thin gloves on a sled without handwarmers all year long.

545907_3561731531796_751539186_n.jpg

On the other hand... if you want flag style handguards... they're more appropriate for this kind of ride:

247971_1923812209802_1387296_n.jpg

:face-icon-small-sho

WFOWA

Lifetime Membership
Jun 10, 2008
SOCO
They break...
And in some situations I like to get to the throttle with my index and middle fingers from underneath of the bars when hanging way forward on the right side of sled. Barkbusters would also get in the way a bit for this.

I just carry thick gloves for the trails and swap to thin gloves when we get to the good stuff.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Dear Polaris Industries,
I love my Pro but your stock hand guards suck. Make them out a tougher, more cold resistant plastic, or, be honest and list them in the catalog as not recommended for cold temps or contact with anything stouter than a #2 pencil.

Anyways...as installed they contact the stock windshield at my riding height (I'm 5'10"), and they break far too easily. Right side broke at the very first contact with a willow sapling and I removed them.

My grip heaters work fine and when it's -20 and I have 65 miles of trail to my friends lodge, I just wear gauntlets.

Hey all you carbon fiber guys...hand guards, on a spring-loaded tab.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
No wrong or right answer here. These two 800 Iron Dog rides have Polaris hand-guards which hold huge Power Madd gauntlets that afford plenty of handlebar room for the hand and control access and help keep the wind and wet off. When the temps dropped to -35 with a 30 mph headwind on the Yukon, supplemental smaller gauntlets were worn. That being said, the hand guards did nothing to keep the 2" branch from snapping off a hand-guard and breaking my partner's hand when he hit it at 5 mph. So in our case the hand-guards only were used to hold the gauntlets. I also agree that in the heavy action, the hand-guards become a hindrance.

And, BCIL, it just amazes me that you can ride with the Bark-Busters. If I cannot access the end of the handlebar, I am lost. You are the only rider I know of now that has them on a sled. Cool.

Attachments

• idog1.jpg
    idog1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I use mine in the flats cause they do block alot of wind.

i take them off in the hills cause its usually under -5 when im there.

I am going to get skinz heat locs for my pro cause they are warmer than plastic ones and they wont break if you hit something or roll out of a stuck.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
And, BCIL, it just amazes me that you can ride with the Bark-Busters. If I cannot access the end of the handlebar, I am lost. You are the only rider I know of now that has them on a sled. Cool.

I actually know quite a few people who run them. I started running them after riding Woog's sled (VOHK) one day, he was the first one I knew with them.

I'll admit I run a finger throttle (the right way ;) ) so for me there's never any need to roll my hand under the bar to get to the ghey thumb throttle (still not as ghey as flag handguards though:face-icon-small-hap). Erik runs a thumb throttle though, as do a few of my other buddies who run the cycras, and they do very well.

Like many things, you need to give a change a few honest days to decide if you like it. I'd say if someone is the kind of rider that hangs off the sled rather than pulling it to them and sidehilling properly, the barkbusters are probably not going to be comfortable though.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Dear Polaris Industries,
I love my Pro but your stock hand guards suck. Make them out a tougher, more cold resistant plastic, or, be honest and list them in the catalog as not recommended for cold temps or contact with anything stouter than a #2 pencil.

Anyways...as installed they contact the stock windshield at my riding height (I'm 5'10"), and they break far too easily. Right side broke at the very first contact with a willow sapling and I removed them.

My grip heaters work fine and when it's -20 and I have 65 miles of trail to my friends lodge, I just wear gauntlets.

Hey all you carbon fiber guys...hand guards, on a spring-loaded tab.

TFW is right. Nothing warmer than gauntlets. And as far as I am concerned Polaris hand guards are for looks. (I have not seen spring loaded ones but it sounds like that may be the way to go.)
Stouter? I have never seen this word, but it fits!:lol:

Attachments

• DSC02840.jpg
    DSC02840.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 363

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Thanks for the replys guys!
What is missing in current designs of mount and handguards that you would like to see, that may convince you to buy some then?

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
If I was ever going to put them on again I want the following:

1) Tough and flexible enough to survive a sharp smack from broom handle sized saplings at -30
2) Some sort of spring action so they better absorb impact
3) Padded on the back side so when they do fold back they don't break your fingers
4) Easy to install without reinventing your bar set-up
5) Identical/Symmetrical design so you can buy a single replacement and install it on either side

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I have the Powermadd MX ones on my Pro. They are really flexible. Arent worth a beans for branch protection but they keep the wind off of your hands.
I roll my sled over all the time to get it unstuck and never worry about breaking them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Thats because I plan on getting stuck somewhere along the ride

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
If I ain't rollin' it over I figure I ain't ridin' hard enough!

Put Polaris handguards on the wife's sled last year at her insistence - she's not an aggressive rider and she went through 3 sets. I don't think they'd last at all on mine.

Premium Features