• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"new short cooler" on the 2014...really?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I think the twelve pound difference was inclusive of the cooler, drilled brake rotor, etc. At any rate, the weight loss on the LE's and HCR's isn't the full 18lbs, but they are both lighter than they were for 2013. I'm O.K. with it. All the manufacturers have used this same type of marketing hype at one time or another when it comes to weight loss for sure. :spy:

MFG's lying about/ fudgingweight loss? No way. I know doo for one is ALWAYS honest with theirs!!! I remember a thread about how if you added up their weight loss claims over a 10 year period or something like that, the sled should have weighed 300 something... seemed pretty darn funny!

I wish cat would have expanded the HCR cooler to the regular sled too... but I suppose it's nice to have an option with the full unit, so guys who do more trail duty can be happy with them. I think the HCR cooler is the best thing to come from the 12+ sleds in a number of ways... I love the idea that a nasty crash taking out the back 1/2 is just a sheet metal fix, and you'll make it out.

I've seen a number of sleds in trouble because they screwed up their tunnel & were leaking, then have to get out in 2 minute stretches. The HCR cooler is way nice from that perspective.

Last edited:

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
13 Sno Pros did not have the short cooler, drilled brake rotor etc. They are inclusive when they say 18 lbs. but the 14 LE's and HCR's are really only about 9lbs lighter than their 2013 counterparts. That means the 2014 162's are around 453 - 455lbs. dry. Minus the exhaust suitcase, 437 -440 dry. That sounds pretty good to me, Poo 163 is 423 dry, thats less than 17lbs. difference in the garage. Take them out on the snow and the Cat is going to be lighter than the Poo.:face-icon-small-coo

I'm not sure the 14s are going to be quite that light. I would say probably in the 470 lb range if you are figuring dry weight.

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
My 2012 Sno Pro 162 was 472 dry. A good silencer, HPS, Speedwerx L2, etc. will lose at least 15lbs. Total weight loss from the 2012 Sno Pro to the 2014 Sno Pro is 18lbs. I'm just doing the math here. So 472 minus 33 = 439?

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The L/W rotor is .9 less than regular according to cat
The HCR style exchanger save 6.9 lbs

You will see marketing documents saying 18 lbs and some saying 17 lbs because they originally had a L/W drive shaft to go with the new L/W drivers but it is probably not going to be in the production sleds for 2014. So for the difference between current LTD and new 2014 sleds it is about 9 lbs.

Current spec sheet in Arctic Cat documents shows 2013 M8 SP LTD 162" at 474 dry so the new ones LTD and Sno Pro about 465 dry.

Woody

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
The L/W rotor is .9 less than regular according to cat
The HCR style exchanger save 6.9 lbs

You will see marketing documents saying 18 lbs and some saying 17 lbs because they originally had a L/W drive shaft to go with the new L/W drivers but it is probably not going to be in the production sleds for 2014. So for the difference between current LTD and new 2014 sleds it is about 9 lbs.

Current spec sheet in Arctic Cat documents shows 2013 M8 SP LTD 162" at 474 dry so the new ones LTD and Sno Pro about 465 dry.

Woody

Where do u see this posted. I have looked high and low...dealer docs? Dealers eyes only?

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
Don't tell the consumer, but the new exchanger is also a significant cost savings for Arctic Cat...

It'll also be fewer rivets for you to drill and replace next time you chuck something through it:face-icon-small-hap

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
I'm thinking the new seat has to be way lighter the 12 seat on mine weighs a ton. Math on the claimed weight loss doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Don't tell the consumer, but the new exchanger is also a significant cost savings for Arctic Cat...

Hmmm, a cooler that saves weight, keeps the snow off the tunnel better, is better protected from damage, and helps keep the cost of production lower, what a horrible thing!

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Where do u see this posted. I have looked high and low...dealer docs? Dealers eyes only?

The info on the weight of the rotor and cooler is from a technical update for dealers on the 2013 LTD models. As for the weight of the sleds themselves there is a spec sheet in every owners packet showing the estimated dry and estimated curb weight of your sled.

I'm thinking the new seat has to be way lighter the 12 seat on mine weighs a ton. Math on the claimed weight loss doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

The seat is suppose to be 5lbs lighter than 2012-2013 seat.

Woody

Premium Features