• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Info about suspension sag on RAW RMK's

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
In the last month there have been lots of questions about correct rear suspension sag on the Raw RMK chassis. How to check it and going to stiffer torsion springs. Here's what I found this past week:
1. The .405 77 degree optional springs don't work on the Raw RMK. The coil is too wide so when installed it drags on the upper wheel, not allowing it to spin freely. If anyone has made these springs work, please pm me, because I called a well known Polaris dealer and I was told, "no the .405's don't work on the Raw RMK's, that's why they are not listed on the microfiche as an option."
2. This same dealership told me that the air shocks on the front are causing incorrect sag readings. The air shocks keep the nose high while sitting on the ground, thus causing the rear of the sled to sit lower. I have not been able to try this, but here's their recommendation: When checking sag add a third person to push down on the nose of the sled about 2-3" and now check how much sag. Again if someone could try this and let us know.

I'm 230 w/gear and he felt I was right on the border for needing the stiffer (.375 77 degree springs) and will work on the raw.

Just my info from what I've found,

Kale

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Do you ride with someone on the hood? Stock springs are way too light for these sleds, meant for someone 120+gear.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
This is a confusing subject for sure. Are your air shocks the same length as the stock ones, if they are then I don't understand why the front would sit higher? I ran air shocks on the front of mine & found that I had to back off on the stock springs to get mine to handle. Setting sag I went all the way stiff with stock springs on the rear 200 lb rider on D8 163. Got no weight transfer and handling was poor so I went back to the soft setting. In most conditions your weight is centered over the front suspension unlike the Edge where weight was farther back. The angle of your bars change things as they move your body position. Pressure in your front suspension shock is also a factor. Seems to me that sag is a starting point and rider weight vs rear spring isn't as big a factor as in the past.

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
FWIW I took the .405 springs directly off of my 03 edge and put them on my 07 RAW. They fit and work fine the way they were designed. As it rode last year it had the stock shocks all the way around. I dont think I agree with what you have been told. I think that the answer you got sounds like the same old polaris retoric trying to confuse the customers and keep themselfs from being forced to admit they might have done something wrong. Watch this video it should teach you some interesting things about suspension setups and how they work. http://www.timbersled.com/MtnTamerVideo.htm
I know that timbersled is trying to sell their product and they are going to put their spin on things but it sure seems logical to me.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
The sag and his reference to the front having not enough sag/play is exactly the info I got from Holz and Curt at Fastrax. There should be some sag in the front as well and the thing will float better and will relieve some sag in the rear. The problem is lots of people want the sled to sit up high and look big and tall with lots of travel but it is not the best for staying on top of the snow. So it's kinda tough to find the perfect settings. I know when I increased the pressure in the front WE (with the Fabcraft Chambers) it caused the rear to sag more and then we increased the rear pressure. It didn't float like the stock soft WE did but it also kinda sucked in the hard pack. That's why I am a fan of adjustable shocks and why I went to Holz and Floats. Atleat that's what I keep telling myself.

For example your climbing a hill and the stiff front suspension catches air on all the pumps, what does that do to the rear.....pushes it down. If you have play/sag in the front that soaks up those pumps better then it wont push the rear down. That's kinda my simple explanation but I do understand it now after I talked with Curt and Mark. I think that's why triple rate shocks may work well, very soft at the beggining and they progress through the stiffer springs as they compress...........or am I an idiot?

Last edited:
H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
standing corrected

The sag and his reference to the front having not enough sag/play is exactly the info I got from Holz and Curt at Fastrax. QUOTE]

Well if those two say so I will buy into it!!! Please pass the crow! LOL I still think the coupled suspension looks pretty great. Im thinkin one is goin in mine this year.

Premium Features