• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what 1/2 ton $20k to get?

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Looking to finally get a crew cab to haul 4 some times 5 people to mountains. Each trip averages 2,000 miles, while Revy trips will probably be around the 3k mile range. Haul an open place 20ft 4 place with 4 to 5 sleds on. So not too much weight.

Current set up is a 2000 silverado extended cab 5.3 liter. This has pulled 5 sleds up at 8k feet but gets pushed a touch to far. Get 10 mpg avg.

Looking for a little higher mileage and more comfort. What can I get for around 15 to 20k? Want under 100k miles. This keeps pointing me towards Dodge Ram 1500. What years are good and what to stay away from. Last dodge I had was a 2003 and a pile of garbage mechanically.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
honestly, only way to improve mileage is to go with a diesel.
All the gassers are real close in fuel consumption towing. Some have more power than others, more power will use more fuel though.
In reality, what ur looking for is a nicer truck with 4 full size doors.
Crew cab will burn more fuel than an ext. Cab.
As for price, FCA will net u the newest vehicle. may not be the best though?

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Dodge is still pile of garbage.
The gas motors. I like the Diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Ya towing with a gas motor in the winter you might as well get used to the 10mpg cause that's roughly what they're all going to get. Diesel will do slightly better, but used diesels are also more money and typically have more miles.

I find the Tundra's stand up the best out of the 1/2 tons as mileage and years accumulate. The 5.7L has tons of power, but gas mileage isn't its strong suit. You can probably get a used Ecoboost in that price range no prob...that will definitely tow the best engine wise out of any 1/2 ton. They can have some timing chain and valve train issues as mileage goes up. I wouldn't even buy a Dodge gas truck with some else's money....but that's just me

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
$20k Id home in on 5.3s GM or 5.0 with 6 speed.
Have had both and they pull well. You’ll get more truck for your money than with a Eco boost cause the Ecos fetch a premium.
And don’t buy it in MN. Budget a little of your 20k to getting one from somewhere NOT in the salt belt. Cause 20k won’t buy you a low mile truck unless it’s halfwya to being a rust bucket.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Still looking? Id definitely do a diesel PLUS I would spend $500 to a grand and get Propane Injection. Get actual 20 to 50% better mileage so it pays for itself here in California with diesel at $4 a gallon.

Last edited:

dodgetruck2

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2018
Parker, SD
Still looking? Id definitely do a diesel PLUS I would spend $500 to a grand and get Propane Injection. Get actual 20 to 50% better mileage so it pays for itself here in California with diesel at $4 a gallon.

must have better luck then some my buddy had propane on a 07 ram diesel and avg 1-2mpg I don't think that even offset the cost of the propane much less the kit

I recently switched from many years of cummins to a 5.7 hemi, guess im fairly impressed with how it pulls out, wish I was a little newer for the nicer cab the 6.4 option and the 6spd auto but for the deal I got I wont complain, 06-08 you can get the 1500 in a megacab which is built on 3/4 ton chassis so you get all the insurance benefits of a 1500 with the capability of a 2500, and you want to talk about comfortably seating 5 people, ive never stretched out in a Ford or Chevy like you can in the mega

truck tows my 30ft 5th wheel camper very well for a gas motor in my option, also have a couple buddys recently upgraded from 5.4 Ford and 6.0 Chevy to 5.7 Hemi's they're both definitely impressed with how well they pull

just make sure you get 3.73 gears or higher if you plan to tow a lot with it, anything less

just figured you needed an opinion from the other side, all these anti dodge people on here, I lack any valid opinion on any Fiat has control over, they're slowly ruining the Mopar division with their in house bs (cough) eco diesel (cough)

in defense of the others the ecoboost does seem like a power house but I know the owner of the local ford dealer pretty well and he admits the mileage isn't there towing or driving unless you drive it right from what hes seen and we have a 5.3chevy at work its fun to run around in too

Last edited:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i love my 05 duramax crew cab, its not the most sought after year. but at 200,000 miles it has been nothing but reliable for me since i bought it about 2 years ago. i have done a few mods like exhaust, egr delete, turbo elbow and an intake, and tuned myself but on the highway i get about 20 mpg unloaded and about 14 pulling my 7000 lb camp trailer. bought it for 20k 2 years ago, loaded with leather and heated seats.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
If your buying a gas truck. I love my 06 Sierra Denali. It has the AWD sensing drive train so its giving you 4wd when it senses wheel slip. That cuts down on gas mileage, but the 6.0 liter motor is really nice. And even better with the bully dog tuner. Doing 60 and want to pass? She gone. But your gonna have to spend more then 20k to get a good diesel. And that's what I would do in your situation.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
F-150, best selling vehicle in the world for at least the last decade. EcoBoost will do better when not towing, they all suck gas when you are. I am more of a V8 guy and would find one with a 5.0. Still, the Eco will out pull the V8 at altitude. Haven't bought a GM product since 2003 after both my '01 and '03 chevys disappointed. Have had several Dodges, including two 2500 Hemi trucks one manual, one auto. The older hemi auto isn't what I would buy. My '15 Power Wagon with the 6.4 Hemi was fine but the auto trans was HORRIBLE.

No need for a diesel just to pull sleds on an open trailer. They are much more expensive to buy, more expensive to maintain, fuel costs more, just doesn't make sense unless you have big loads to pull all the time. The economy advantage is eaten up by the initial cost and additional cost of fuel. They just do not pencil.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
The 3.5 ecoboost is fun to drive and pulls like a tractor, but there's something about a V8 that I do miss. I would not hesitate to buy another, but would prefer their 6.2. I'm not sure if Ford still offers the 6.2 in a halfer?

A hemi is in my opinion the best "base" V8

Love the newer version of the GM 6.2
Did some pulling with a 2008 model and I wouldn't give the corn in my crap for one of those versions. Not so sure that the engines are that different as much as the transmissions?
A GM guy could verify perhaps?

My gripe with GM is the inability to get a 6.2 in a common trim level.
Makes no sense whatsoever.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Not sure exact years on the 6.2 in an F150 but 2011-14 most likely. I have a 6.2 in my '12 F250, love it.

Premium Features