• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what are cylinder head o rings made of ?

has any one had any luck with aftermarket o rings in their sleds cylinder to head area? im thinking I might just pick some up from a cylinder rebuilding shop or industrial supplies store- would I ask for rubber o rings or Viton? orange green or black ?
anyone try anything other than stock polaris?

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I'm not sure. They likely don't see much more than water temps of the engine. Coolant and fuel/oil resistance are probably the most important characteristics. I might give Viton a try if I were in your shoes.

I have put veton or Viton o rings in , I did not think rubber would hold up to petroleum or heat,
the motor is in the sled now with my thicker base gaskets . I got the slp head on and torqued to find out the rear thermostat cover bolt don,t want to start in that chicken**** wobbly part on the back of the head,
I guess I should have started all bolts before any torqueing lol.
I will address that today and get a compression test done , we got snow in town at sea level and I have a 3000 to 6000 foot cheated cheater head, 94 oct fuel,

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
unobtainium is what i think they call the material they are made from just get new ones from the dealer or aftermarket ,they last forever and are reusable .

the hydraulic cylinder rebuild house has them orings in stock, not like a genuine pismeoff polaris dealer who has to order it so I could have it in a week or so.
it is obtanium obtainable of the highest grade- RFN at the parts counter at grizzly supplies .

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The genuine polaris rubber gaskets, that sit just below the cap, are a special high temperature gasket. The older polaris gaskets are not the special high temperature gasket. If you buy an aftermarket gasket set, then you are probably getting the old style that will cost you a piston, rings and cylinder when the rubber gaskets melt and let coolant into the combustion chamber.

The genuine polaris rubber gaskets, that sit just below the cap, are a special high temperature gasket. The older polaris gaskets are not the special high temperature gasket. If you buy an aftermarket gasket set, then you are probably getting the old style that will cost you a piston, rings and cylinder when the rubber gaskets melt and let coolant into the combustion chamber.
thanks for that advice wodatguy- I already was aware of rubber and petroleum products non compatibility , its good to know the old style o ring story. over time I noticed Viton-black and colored viton like green and orange. the combination of petro prods on one side then antifreeze on the other side and to add a bit of heat had me thinking its worth asking.
did you ever figure out my other post asking about increasing the volume of CC in my top end compression chamber area by lifting the cylinders a few thousands?
I ended up with 120 psi comp reading at sea level and no noticeable ill effects yet. riding around the heat light and detonation sensor have not come on during heat cycling and a short ride around the park up to about 50 mph, running 94 octain.
id like to know what others have for compression at sea level on compression relese type cylinders and stock heads, next base gaskets will be a little thiner I think

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
With new rings, I got 145 psi at sea level. I replace rings at 125 psi.

Premium Features