• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 fuel problems

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
well its not the ecu ........when i put my ecu back in her i put power on her started her up and started playing with the wires behind the tank seeing if anything is loose or w.e cus i was starting to get very annoyed so then i took the power off and she stayed going on her own i was shocked....but she only was going on one cylinder other cylinder had spark just not getting any fuel so i drover her out of the garage just to see counldnt press the throttle very much she go boggy and almost shut off so put her back in the garage shut her off and started her up and few times to make sure she was still starting up on her own so then i went for some supper was going back out see if i can figure out the fuel problem but couldnt get her to start up on her own again very annoyed .....even with the power on her she still only runs on one cylinder.....

Not saying this is your problem but I had something similar happen to a 900with a newly rebuilt engine. When running we pulled the plug caps to determine which side was down (it was MAG side). Then pulled plug to confirm spark (there was). Then put small amount of gas to see if it was a fuel issue (it was a fuel issue as she ran). We pulled engine again to find that the injector wiring was broken in the boot a few inches from the injector (harness is tied into a 90* or 180* bend). I opened it up, soldered/shrink wrapped it and then taped it up really well, re-installed the engine and everything was ok.

Last edited:
P
Jan 4, 2014
i think it might be just a weak plug now........but back to the big picture i think its still make be somthing to do with that ground cus the ground that connect to the hood harness if i wiggle that the lights and stuff cut in and out and that wire get warm....but i did run a wire from the vr connector to the chasis but the hood one still flickers....

P
Jan 4, 2014
sloan.....back when we were talking about the vr and the red and brown pins well i went threw that again and im getting a reading when i check the red ones that has no orange across with the brown ones in the same row what do this mean......

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Assuming you are referring to the sled side connector, I'm not sure whether you should be getting a reading there or not...try disconnecting the hood connectors and measuring again...Do you get a reading now? I don't think you should.

It looks like you have a few problems going on....I would unplug the hood connectors and work on your weak spark and then come back to the hood connector. You almost definitely had a ground issue that was resolved by running the new wire and this appears to have resolved the power to the pump issue although I'm confused now because you said it didn't originally. Wrt the burnt pin, this is indicative of a short in that vicinity.

P
Jan 4, 2014
dissconnecting it makes no different ......the ground didnt solve anything skidoo still dont start.....forget i said anything about the spark.....

P
Jan 4, 2014
just notice when i took the plastic off the harness i mixed up the browns when i took them all out so the browns that was showing no ground was the ones that are across from the orange ones............

P
Jan 4, 2014
the brown pins in the vr connector sled side the ones that showed not grounded is actually the pins across from the orange ones ......i put them in the wrongs slots when i took them out to clean them up so the ground to the hood harness and the groung to the chasis are fine is the other brown one goes the the splice and one goes to the power point...

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
the brown pins in the vr connector sled side the ones that showed not grounded is actually the pins across from the orange ones ......i put them in the wrongs slots when i took them out to clean them up so the ground to the hood harness and the groung to the chasis are fine is the other brown one goes the the splice and one goes to the power point...

That's what I thought you might mean...so the brn going to the splice point is open? i.e., no resistance to ground?

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada

OK...well firstly, be very careful with the wiring as a small mistake can result in major issues.

Secondly take a look at anything you have done and make sure it is correct now.

Thirdly, what exactly did you do with the brown wire that you ran and is it needed? i.e., did the other brown wire have resistance to ground without the wire?

once you have done all that, check the resistance to ground of some of the other brn wires coming off the splice saver...Do any of them have resistance or are they all open?

Finally, we need to find out where they all get tied to ground and what exactly is wrong....

Last edited:
S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
nevermind found it should i check them with the vr pluged in or not

without it plugged in and I would not only check at the splice saver but at the end points as well (e.g., pin 3 on the fuel pump to ground, also pin3 on the fuel pump to pin 4, brown accessory plug to ground, ignition switch brn to ground, etc...)

For that matter, check as many brown wires as you can find to ground and note location and whether open (no reading) or shorted (close to zero)

P
Jan 4, 2014
everything in splice is open, pump open, hand warmers open, egnition open, brake light open.....only ones i see grounded is the ones in the hood connector

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
everything in splice is open, pump open, hand warmers open, egnition open, brake light open.....only ones i see grounded is the ones in the hood connector

right...I see how the hood connector pins get grounded...

I think I found how the splice saver get grounded...plug the VR in and check again...you should find them all grounded now...

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada

k...well we went down a little rabbit hole...

I'm a little confused as to where we are now considering the brn pin issue, the brown jumper wire and the recent running/fuel/spark episode...

so....
1. the brn splice that you added; do you need it or not?
2. did you ever check the diodes in the VR as described back on page 1?
3. did you actually have it running on its own?
4. have you tried to run it without the hood connectors/kill switch/hand warmers and ignition switch disconnected?
5. are you sure you have spark?

Last edited:
Premium Features