• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 crank failure

R
Nov 8, 2009
Vancouver BC
Hello Polaris people,
So my brother snapped his crank behind the clutch on his 05 900. I believe all the updates were done on this sled. I have read to replace the 05 pistons to the OEM 06 version, which he wanted to do while he was in there.
Question is, should the crank be updated to an 06 also? Are 05 and 06 cranks the same ?

Thanks in advance

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
Hello Polaris people,
So my brother snapped his crank behind the clutch on his 05 900. I believe all the updates were done on this sled. I have read to replace the 05 pistons to the OEM 06 version, which he wanted to do while he was in there.
Question is, should the crank be updated to an 06 also? Are 05 and 06 cranks the same ?

Thanks in advance
Don't hold me to it but I believe the cranks have been beefed up. Tell him to get a stock clutch kit which will include all the gaskets seals o-rings, bearings, larger diameter crank, rods, a new primary clutch and a 115 belt all for around $1,000. Or tell him to talk to indydan and get one of his torque master cranks.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Polaris has an updated crank kit with a larger crank. It comes with everything including a new clutch and new 1115 belt.

This is what Babbitts has it listed for

Polaris - KIT-CRANKSHAFT 866 LARGE TAPER | [Incl. Large Taper Drive Clutch]

Item: 2203617 $958.73

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I second that. Talk to Indydan. He has the Torque master 1 (large taper crank with third bearing added for not much more than it will cost you to do it yourself and he will check your cases to make sure they are not out of spec.

He also has the TM3 billet crank with 3 year warrantee.

Or if you insist on doing it yourself I posted the kit number above.

Premium Features