• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900RMK w/151

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
just got this from a buddy, after he smoked a piston....figured i could stand to upgrade from my xlt

got the jug fixed, and ordered the wesco 83mm 2 piston kit....heck i even got a copy of the service manual

now im no dummy (used to be a certified diesel mech).....but what should i be wary of when putting this moster back together?

from what i hear, some loved this sled, some hated it....i just wanna ride it!!!!!!

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
on the 05's when you go back together put a washer under each of the bolts holding the cylinders down, especially on the rear bolts. the holes weren't quite deep enuff and it can cause base gasket issues. check the throttle body boots for cracks, check the oil cable they break quite often should get a fatboyfrenchy cable. that is a start, check the stickies at the top of forum you can read for days. most things like this have been repeated atleast 100 times

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Make sure you have ice scratchers and that you use them and do not let the new engine get to hot with Wiseco pistons. Also make sure you run one pint of oil with every 5 gallons of gas for first tank and break the engine in easy for at least the first three hours.

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
bigdawg, thanks for the heads up on the washers, and oil pump cables...gonna have to do the TBB's very soon im sure....just not sure how to tell the wife i need to spend more before we can take it out

zman, thanks for the ice scrathers tips...was looking at em too
and the break in info is a heck of alot better than the manual says...LOL

been reading this forum for a few days now, finally registared so i could see all the posts...LOL

so far im getting alot of good info
besides, if i dont like the sled i COULD sell it to Guidoexpress for parts...LOL

for what its worth, the wife 91 440 prowler runs great, trust me, i've been hearing about it for a week now

Last edited:
B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
bigdawg, thanks for the heads up on the washers, and oil pump cables...gonna have to do the TBB's very soon im sure....just not sure how to tell the wife i need to spend more before we can take it out

zman, thanks for the ice scrathers tips...was looking at em too
and the break in info is a heck of alot better than the manual says...LOL

been reading this forum for a few days now, finally registared so i could see all the posts...LOL

so far im getting alot of good info
besides, if i dont like the sled i COULD sell it to Guidoexpress for parts...LOL

for what its worth, the wife 91 440 prowler runs great, trust me, i've been hearing about it for a week now

Wow 2 posts and you are already digging on guidoxpress you will get along fine here i can see it already :lol:

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
i got thick skin....hell i run heavy hual trucking...LOL...after owning my own

Hey, another Montanan. Welcome to the 900 forum, you will find it was well worth the price. You can also read all the snowest and sledheads magazines.

Been looking at Helena as a place to possibly move to. I'm also a CLass A CDL driver.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Welcome to the forum, there's already some great advice in here I see:beer;

Definitely take some time to read read read... tons of good threads in here in the stickies, you'll learn all you ever needed and more!:face-icon-small-win

dingalingman1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 23, 2010
Western Nebraska
If you need help Sean is the one, Sounds like this year he only knows how to fix sleds (if he gets his back together) not ride them?:focus:

Last edited:

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
z-man...helena isnt bad to live, lots of sledding nearby....plus alot of trucking outfits, just depends what kind of wagon you wanna drag

guidoxpress....i hope not..i'd hate to see you spend anymore time fixing a sled...LOL...sorry man, sometimes i just cant help myself

markoo....any specific reason? polaris parts guy said they were the same thing, for a better price than he could give me on stock parts

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
oh i wont fix it if i break it, lol.

the weisco pistons work, but they require more break in time, a VERY stritch warm up cycle BEFORE you even move the sled...and the pistons exspand and contract salot more then the cast 06 pistons...if you have the weiscos already, just do not let the sled heat up to high engine temps, and make sure that motor heat cycled and the pistons/crank heat soak properly with EVERY ride...

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
basicly just let it idle until its at operating temp then, and not get it anywhere near 200

i dont wanna be re-doing this this summer.....so i really appreciate the advice

i know during break in to watch the oil consumtion (make sure its using) and to take it easy...which will be no problem for what i hear about these sleds its gonna scare the hell outta me the first few rides...LOL

pistons will be here next week, parts counter wasnt sure if he could even get me 2 06 pistons before summer...so i'm kinda stuck with the wiseco's now

how would a guy tell the diference between the 05 &06 pistons? kinda curious as to what ones were melted

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
basicly just let it idle until its at operating temp then, and not get it anywhere near 200

i dont wanna be re-doing this this summer.....so i really appreciate the advice

i know during break in to watch the oil consumtion (make sure its using) and to take it easy...which will be no problem for what i hear about these sleds its gonna scare the hell outta me the first few rides...LOL

pistons will be here next week, parts counter wasnt sure if he could even get me 2 06 pistons before summer...so i'm kinda stuck with the wiseco's now

how would a guy tell the diference between the 05 &06 pistons? kinda curious as to what ones were melted

1. yes, let the sled idle until its around 120 degrees...shut the sled off and let the crank and clutch heat soak and absorb some heat from the warm motor...

once the sled is completely cooled down, idle it again until its 120 again...warm the track up by lifting rear skid off the ground and blip the throttle a little and spin track a few times..

i do this before i am even clothed to ride...that way the 2nd time its warming up, i get dressed and its ready to rock when i am done getting ready...

2. if you had to pull the motor or oil line at all, you need to bleed the oil line to the pump first, then attach a wire to the pump lever and route it to the clutch side, when motor is started you pull the wire and it dumps more oil in but it will force feed the pump and bleed any air out of the line.

ALWAYS add 12oz of oil to the FULL tank of fuel.

3. ensure the coolant is bled completely also...and continue to check it for the first few miles/reides and top it off.

4. the stock 06 pistons are not hard to get at all...so your dealer should be able to order them and get them in a week...if not, contact another dealer or order online.

5. i dont have a pic of the 05 or 06 pistons, there are some on here for sure...also...DO NOT ever get the SPI pistons for the 900s..they are a copy of the bad 05 design...

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
I'll post some pics of the pistons that i took out....they look awesome..LOL....my buddy, the guy i got the sled from though I'd be able to reuse them with new rings, but after looking at em i figured it'd be chaeper in the long run to just replace them

thanks for the specific's on how to warm this monster up....i know the wife would be pizzed if i turned around and melted it down again

what oil do you add to to tank? synthetic or just regular? been pouring over the owner and service manuals, but first hand knowledge always seems to be better than a book

didnt pull the motor or oil line, but will still prime the oil...just to be on the safe side, along with the coolant

helena cycle has always been fun to deal with, they wont even take the 900 on trade...LOL...i have been forewarned...LOL

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i run Citgo Sea & Snow oil, or Castrol 2T oil...Even Walmart Supertech 2 stroke oil will work fine, just by ANY means...do not use Polarids VES Gold...(junk)!!

its always nice to see how dealers really support their products and would be willing to trade in anything they sell, LOL....typical.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I'm running the Junk Polaris VES2 and the engine still looked like new inside when I swapped to 06 pistons. Still running the stock 05 crank too and it didn't fail from the oil either.:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features