• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can't get above 6,000rpm

Nov 27, 2007
100lbs is low. i hate to say it but it sounds like the crank is out of alignment. or there is a bad piston. pull it apart.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
the idle is way too low also.

idealy you should set the idle to 1500-1700rpm....

it will not go into reverse with the idle that low.

top end should also be replaced at 100psi for sure...

S

ssearle

Jan 6, 2011
I will reset the idle and tps. Thanks for that info..

I must be wrong on the compression #'s. The dealer did the test and said the compression was really good in both cylinders. I thought I remembered 100 but it must have been higher. I'll do another compression test myself. Assuming that does come back higher, any other ideas?

S

ssearle

Jan 6, 2011
update

I reset tps/idle/counter per instructions and video. 0.71 and 0.95. Machine idles great but check engine light is now flashing so I turned off sled and didn't try to run up rpm's.

Thoughts???

S

ssearle

Jan 6, 2011
flashes

Looks like there are 3 flashes. It seems like there's a slightly longer pause after every third flash.

S

ssearle

Jan 6, 2011
GRRRRR

I unpluged and pluged back in.

Good news= no check engine light.

Bad news= idles like crap. Will only idle if you feather the throttle.

Re-checked tps, still at 0.95

When I reset idle/tps/counter idle, I adjusted idle screw out until plate hit, adjusted counter screw out until plate hit, removed the counter spring, pulled throttle handle until throttle plates closed (0.23 volts), put spring back in, adjusted counter screw until reached 0.23 then adjusted tps until reached 0.71 volts and then adjusted idle screw until reached 0.95. That's the correct way to do it, right?

I tryed adjusting the idle screw and tps to see if I could get it to idle better and found that it would idle great with no backfires at 1450 rpm but the idle screw was out of wack and the tps was reading 104 volts. Still no reverse and nothing higher than 6,000 rpms.

I'm ready to pull my hair out. Any ideas???

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
where do you live?

might luck out and have one of us close to you and be able to hepl you out...

ill think of some stuff and see what i can get you.

M

miller tools

Jan 19, 2009
boyden iowa
COIL

Just got done working on my bros 900 runs like crap wont idle no rev found bad COIL check your coil do you know some one with a 900 you could swap coils and try

J
Dec 14, 2010
Latimer IA
thanks bro!!! to miller tools!

Yes after spending few hrs in garage fixing bare wires and doing multiple resistance checks he thought he heard a shorting out coil and that was it! We put his on mine and it ran awesome! Had same problem wouldn't go above 6000 rpm. Also had this 900 in a dealership and spent about $1500.00 total to find out they didn't dig far enough. 6.5 hr round trip and 5-6hrs garage time and lots of patience solved it!

S

ssearle

Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for everyone's input. Keep it coming. I live in Franktown, Colorado. Anyone live in Colorado? I'm thinking I might need to move to Montana to get this thing running right.

I have another 2005 polaris 900 rmk that I've been swapping parts off of to try and figure this thing out. I had high hopes about that coil, but sadly, I swapped coils, tps harness, tps sensor, exhaust sensor, and stator from my 05 that runs perfect. Still can't find the problem. I thought about swapping ecu but one sled has slp pipe while the other one has stock and I would have to check and see which fuel injectors my good running sled has. The bad one has yellow injectors.

Anyway, I will try anything if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks for the links Sean, I will check those out. I've gone through 16 pages of threads so far looking for anything that might help.

It acts like it's running lean. I'm thinking I should call the dealer and make sure he re-flashed ecu based on yellow injectors. The only other thing I can think of would be to re-check all other wire harness' not swapped (looked over once but didn't ohm meter them).

Can anyone think of anything else I should swap from my other sled?

Thanks again.

M

miller tools

Jan 19, 2009
boyden iowa
wires

Ohm all your wires start to finish dont skip take your time look at the reistance if its high the wire is bad i think you have done all else. just about bet you have a bad wire

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I thought about swapping ecu but one sled has slp pipe while the other one has stock and I would have to check and see which fuel injectors my good running sled has. The bad one has yellow injectors.

you can swap the ECUs from your other sled....just use the SLP pipe with the SLP ECU and stock pipe with stock ECU...

i have an extra Voltage Regulator you can have to try it out and see just incase...never know...maybe try the Capacitor...try it all, LOL...

im praying for you man....when you get it fixed, your gonna LOVE it and it will all pay off man...good luck...

S

ssearle

Jan 6, 2011
You Sir, are brilliant. I don't know why I had a mental block about swapping exhaust. I'll swap ecu, exhaust, and capacitor. I guess I just need to make sure the fuel injectors are the same color, right?

I'm having a brain fart: is the voltage regulator the same thing as a multi-meter/ohm meter or is it a part on the sled. Sorry...:face-icon-small-dis

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
LOL...

we all get so involved in something and brain fart the little things...i do it ALOT, lol. no worries.

the ECU "should" match the injectors...but for testing reasons, its not a major issue...there are 3 type of injectors on these sleds...Blue/Yellow/Red...and that is the order of flow rates too (Blue is Leanest---Red is Richest) Alot of guys are running a Yellow ECU flash, with Red injectors...just runs slightly richer is all, mines been that way for years and never an issue. just dont go the other direction and go lean.

The VR (voltage regulator) changes AC voltage to DC voltage and regulates the output voltage to 14.5 VDC to the electrical system in the sled.

its BROWN, and on the 05 900, its located under the ECU on the bulkhead....on the 06 900, its located on the side of the bulkhead next to the ECU and behind the secondary clutch...

if you have an 06...you should rotate the VR like mine in the pics (straight up and down) by loosing the upper bolt (remove lower) and rotate it straight up and drill new lower hole...this will ve the VR wiring and keep them from getting smashed by the fuel tank...

heres what the VR looks like, and this is where its at on an 06 model....i added grounding wires because its a nice, safe concept to protect the sled from voltage spikes (that are prone on the dragons)

IMG_20101012_181942.jpg

and when you get that baby going...you can build it like my 06 900, LOL..(no dont, i have yet to even ride it this season...hahaa..)

PART_1292442897539-1.jpg

PART_1292442898256.jpg

Premium Features