• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

And the Build Begins.....A 900 RAW RMK from the ground up.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Just finished mating the bulkhead and the Tunnel...
Fresh back from the Powder Coater... 50% gloss black...just like I like it!!:face-icon-small-ton

2006 900 Bulkhead mated to a 155" RAW tunnel. Prepared for Running board inserts.

Here she goes!!
:whoo:

A quick Wash out of the coolers
1-19.jpg

Then onto the "Operating table"

2-17.jpg

Last edited:

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
MH, I hope you will consider a set of JBs suspension and some of my goodies for that badboy. I assume this the build you have been hinting at for the past year or so ?:face-icon-small-win

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
Dangit MH! That was my project for this summer! Guess I have to go a different route now! This is going to be sweet, and its probably better that I let you tackle it first anyways, it will turn out perfect! Are you going with a RAW tank and seat? Whats in the works for a powerplant? Boosted 1140? lol Did you get the tunnel from Superdave?

Last edited:

houlster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 2, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

2006 900 Bulkhead mated to a 155" RAW tunnel. Prepared for Running board inserts.

mountainhorse,

I've got an '06 700 with a crushed tunnel and I'm gathering parts for a rebuild. I was wanting to go to a RAW tunnel/seat & trailtank, but found this post of yours and it kinda dashed my hopes in that.

Not without a lot of parts..

You would need an 07 or 08 tank, steering hoop, console, etc...

If it was a 900 I'd say dont try it unless you have deep pockets.

You cant run the 2006 with a straight steering post.. it doesnt clear the injectors..

The raw coolant pipes come up into 2006 tank. and the ECU location would need to be moved to run the coolant lines.

There are no RAW tunnels on 900 Bulkheads from the factory...

It is possible but you are talking 1000's of dollars.

Holz makes a great tunnel as does Poweraddiction (1200psi on the forum here), Vanamburg, TerraAlps racing, Fabcraft... That will fit your bulkhead and cooling system.

So... can you elaborate on how you did this now? Is it really all that much work/expense? Do you need a complete RAW chassis for parts to do it, or will just the tunnel do?

thanks
--Dan

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Thanks for all the props and PM's !

I will be posting up the Evolution of this project as I build the sled with photos and descriptions.

I wanted to undertake this project to see what could be done with the 900 in newer chassis. I really like the look of the RAW chassis so getting this done is a natural for me.

I really like the WAY that the 900's make power... lots of low end grunt and the ability to just flat get up the hill.

POLZINHUNTER, I've been anxiously awaiting yours/COBE's front suspension developments... Those gems will be making it into the PRO-RMK build for next year (hope to get a 400 lb sled when I'm done).. Yep, this is the build you and I have been talking about for a while.

speedemon, Yes I'll be going with a 2010-08 RMK seat and the 2010-08 Tank configuration. Getting the fuel pump figured out has been a challenge... more on that as this project unfolds here. Not sure on the power plant yet... no 1140 in the plans though. I have a few choices on how I can build the 900 motor up what I want to add and how to control it. I've had the tunnel on hand for a while now waiting in the wings.

Houlster, I have been "horsetrading" for parts for a while now to get the needed items to build this sled... Plus a LOT of cash dumped on top, lol. It really is a lot of work, way more head scratching than I would have hoped for (the small stuff) and figuring out that I wanted to do the project in the first place. I have come to the realization that the 2006 motor will work in this application since I posted up that info you have. The steering post is the key here... and I got lucky...more on that later. You don't need a complete RAW chassis to do this, but that is probably the easiest/least expensive method in hindsight.

I'll be post up some interesting pics and more info as this unfolds over the next couple of weeks.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Is it possible to retrofit 900 into newer RAW roller chassis if I happento come across one? Or is it mandatory to swap bulkheads?:doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Yes... into the RAW chassis...not the PRO-RMK though...

There are many pro's and cons to both directions... but...IMO... if you have a roller 2009 or 2010 dragon, this would be the easiest route... but still a fair amount of fabrication to do..

I'll elaborate on this more later..

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
SWEET..

i have also been kicking this idea around for the future...like summer 2011...would be great to see the out come with the por/cons for sure..

at least i have a start on the project..i have the original MAG side upper shock bracket from this build...SWEEEET...:) it worked great MH, thank you very very much for the fast help..i have some interesting pics from the trip...and many trees where involved..as always..:eek:

great thread, i will be eagerly waiting the progress!!!!

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Getting the fuel pump figured out has been a challenge... more on that as this project unfolds here.

Why cant you use the fuel pump that is in the tank on the 08' and up sleds?

You can add another, "you stole my project" to the list. Strongly considering same thing, except with boost...

any specific reason why not? when there is a will there is a way...

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I've done some serious re-thinking, measuring... tinkering....re-thinking again... playing with new parts etc....I wanted to have more than just the "Look" of the RAW... I wanted it to be a raw chassis...which is why I chose this route.

Most questions will be answered as this build progresses. 90% of my ducks are in line... some more surprises are yet to come.

any specific reason why not? when there is a will there is a way...

The steering system that would directly in front of the PTO Throttle body..
The steering system is a HUGE part of what gives this new sled a balanced feel.

I guess if you machined up a billet upper crankcase for the 900 with the throttle bodies facing aft and up slightly... sure you could pull it off with some trick billet mounts and a super custom exhaust pipe (the 900's are pretty fat in the exhaust pipe area)

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Looks great so far Eric... cant wait to hear the rest of the details!!!!!! I would like to add a 9T to the stable with my 7T, just need to pic a chasis. This build is givin me the itch...

Premium Features