• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 fusion with 750 miles = Broke

T

theUltamateTBM

Feb 20, 2008
so today I went out riding in a different area than I usually do and my sled was taching about 400 rpm lower than usual so i figured it was elevation well as the day went on it got worse to the point where it will only spin 6200 rpm then all of a sudden it started making noise so I think the crank is gone starts runs and sounds good at idle and 1/4 throttle but after that bad news

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Sorry to hear this, I know the pain of downtime this season!
Have you pulled your plugs yet? What do they look like, show us a pic if you can.

T

theUltamateTBM

Feb 20, 2008
plugs look really good I knew the problems the 900s have when I bought it so I am not upset it sounds like alot of the noise is coming from the clutches but when you spin the primary it feels stiff like a crank bearing is out on my last ride it was great this ride from the get go was lacking

T

theUltamateTBM

Feb 20, 2008
so I started sled up today to get off trailer and into shop there is no noise anymore I pulled both clutches everything looks good I pulled pipe and y pipe looked at pistons there is a little scuff on pto side piston but good compression I checked the crank runout and it was at .0015 I am feeling some risistance and a little noise from the recoil side so I will pull and see whats up there I think I am gonna go ahead and pull motor just cuz I can

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Your going to feel some resistance because of the magnet on the flywheel with the stator. It's a good idea to pull the motor and take a look at all your mounts. Also when you take the recoil off make sure to leave the bottom two bolts out that way if you ever need to take it off again you don't have to pull the motor!

T

theUltamateTBM

Feb 20, 2008
yes i know there should be some risistance but it feels abnormal to me I have been looking for an excuse to put pistons and motor mounts in so now i think I have it lol

T

theUltamateTBM

Feb 20, 2008
so tonight I went out to work on sled and noticed the coolant was a little low when I pulled the reeds out I found oil and coolant in motor everything looks good I am gonna finish splitting cases just to be sure though

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
so tonight I went out to work on sled and noticed the coolant was a little low when I pulled the reeds out I found oil and coolant in motor everything looks good I am gonna finish splitting cases just to be sure though

Hmmm...

The only way I can think you would find excessive oil in the bottom end would be if you had a center crank seal going out, it's not unheard of... As for the coolant, i think your only possibility there would be a melted/cracked o-ring in the head.

I'm not really sure how either of those would contribute to your tacking/roughness issue though:confused:

Premium Features