• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wolf hunt near Glacier National Park draws debate

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Hungry Horse News

Wolf hunt near Glacier draws debate

By CHRIS PETERSON / Hungry Horse News
Published: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:06 AM PST

In the safety of a Glacier Park meadow, a gray wolf peers from the tall grass. North Fork wolves were the first to re-colonize Montana. (Chris Peterson photo)

The recent poaching of three wolves up the North Fork didn't count toward the hunting quota, but it has raised concerns from a conservation group about the way wolves are being managed.

The wolf quota for the North Fork was two wolves — a comparatively low number. Hunters have now shot two wolves in the North Fork, the last one on Monday in the headwaters of the Big Creek drainage. With three poachings added to that, five animals have been killed. The season for wolves in that subdistrict is now closed.

The North Fork has two packs — the Dutch pack with 20 wolves and the Kintla pack with nine, according to Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks wolf coordinator Carolyn Sime.

Sime said the state based its wolf quota on prior years' mortalities without hunting. Wolves die from a host of causes — they get hit by cars, trains, are subject to disease and they kill each other. Those mortalities were worked into the hunting quota, Sime said. Assuming that wolf mortality stays about the same as previous years, Sime said that even with hunting, wolf numbers are expected to go up.

This year's poachings, however, could impact next year's hunting season, as the mortalities will be included in the formula to determine next year's season, Sime said.

Both North Fork packs den inside Glacier National Park, where they're wholly protected. But they also range outside Glacier onto private lands and the Flathead National Forest, where they can be hunted.

The wolf quota in the North Fork was set at two animals in deference to Glacier and the history of the packs, Sime said.

The North Fork wolves were the first animals to re-establish a permanent presence in Montana. For the last 30 years, they have roamed the countryside virtually untouched by man.

Defenders of Wildlife, a conservation group which is suing to have wolves put back on the Endangered Species List, claims the state should account poaching into its quota.

"We'd rather see verified poached wolves taken out of the quota," said Mike Leahy, Rocky Mountain regional director for the group.

Leahy noted that wolves are different in social structure than other carnivores. Shoot the alpha male or female of a pack, and the pack can fall apart. He said there's a real danger of that happening in the North Fork. It has already happened to a pack near Yellowstone National Park, he noted.

Leahy was also critical of the penalties for poaching wolves.

Randy Houk of Columbia Falls was fined $1,135 for poaching two of the North Fork wolves. Houk, an equipment operator for Flathead County, shot two young wolves near Whale Creek last month.

According to court documents, because Houk cooperated with FWP wardens, Warden Capt. Lee Anderson did not recommend that Houk lose his hunting privileges. Under state law, a poacher doesn't automatically lose their license if they shoot a wolf.

"The state has ridiculously low penalties for poaching wolves," Leahy claimed.

Federal courts will decide by next year the fate of Montana's wolf hunt, when Judge Donald Molloy reviews Defenders of Wildlife case to have wolves re-listed.

Molly is expected to make a ruling on the case before next year's hunting season.

Sime is confident of the state's methods. She said the state's wolf quota is scientifically sound.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, it seems like it really couldnt be all that hard to just whack one, shallow grave, and its gone. guns come along on early season rides.. dont wantto miss a good oprtunity.

on a serious note, wanna take bets on what molley does? that dude is a total clown, the odd chance he doesnt side with enviro nuts im quite amazed... just doesnt happen very often at all!

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I like a state where you don't get hosed for poaching a wolf.

LOL.......VERY hot topic with the enviro-zealots now! They have their *poster child* to try to get these things back on the list. :rolleyes: I'm sure that will be going out in enviro email everywhere. And Malloy.......well he's definitely on their side with all of these kinds of issues. :face-icon-small-fro

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
They had alot of the same topic here. They fabricated the numbers way low, until they could not hide it anymore, when stock started geting eaten and are elk and deer pop. fell even further. People took it upon themselfs to thin them out. And the greenies had a hay day with that. We have beat the greenies back, And now we had a jugde put a kill order on the two that went on a killing spree in Baker co. this spring (They where killed). Was the first order like that for a long long time. He got bashed preaty hard for it, now the greenies are hitting it hard again.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
We have one *old timer* that lives up the North Fork......has I don't know how many acres of land (used to have a lot of elk on his property). This spring he had to clean up carcasses of 100 elk and deer, using his backhoe so he could bury them. NONE had been picked clean (or even close).......most were just sport kills. :face-icon-small-dis He told of seeing Elk run by his place with part of jaw missing, buttocks eaten out.....animals suffering horribly while dying a slow death. :face-icon-small-fro

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Thats the kind of stuff I wish I could be on film, then run an campain so everyone in the big cities could see what the wolfs are really doing to our deer and elk. I think that would put a whole new out look on the wolf for many many people. And the attitude ( oh they have there place ) would go out the window, so maybe they would start caring about the elk and deer (while I'm here the sheep,cows, dogs and all other domestic animals that are getting eaten by the wolf.)

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
We have one *old timer* that lives up the North Fork......has I don't know how many acres of land (used to have a lot of elk on his property). This spring he had to clean up carcasses of 100 elk and deer, using his backhoe so he could bury them. NONE had been picked clean (or even close).......most were just sport kills. :face-icon-small-dis He told of seeing Elk run by his place with part of jaw missing, buttocks eaten out.....animals suffering horribly while dying a slow death. :face-icon-small-fro

The best thing we can do in situations like that is document each one of them, and call out a fish and game officer so they can see it with their own eyes. Then forward on the documentation/pictures to the politicians and greenie groups to let them try to justify it. Makes me sick to think that there are people trying to protect the wolves that are wrecking the ecosystem.

H
Nov 26, 2007
Back in Idaho
Thats the kind of stuff I wish I could be on film, then run an campain so everyone in the big cities could see what the wolfs are really doing to our deer and elk. I think that would put a whole new out look on the wolf for many many people. And the attitude ( oh they have there place ) would go out the window, so maybe they would start caring about the elk and deer (while I'm here the sheep,cows, dogs and all other domestic animals that are getting eaten by the wolf.)

Go look at savelk.com. It is a log of thing that people have observed and documented. If you have something, send it to them. I am sure that they would be willing to add it to thier site.

H
Nov 26, 2007
Back in Idaho
Also, I see that Montana is finished with the season as you have reached the 75 wolf quota. We have 104 down in Idaho and they are talking about extending the season. That will be the next big wailing sound you hear from the enviros.

Last edited:
H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
according to a buddy in the know, idaho fish and game are goin to have to lay off people from the lost revenue from elk and deer tags, the wolf tags helped but were not enough to cover, my buddies district in challis alone used to give out 250 elk tags, last couple years; none, and what few elk are left are darn near right in town to try to keep from gettin ate, the rest left or were taken down, one cow got taken down in someone's back yard a while back, need to gut shoot a few more than the 75 for here

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
The guy I'm talking about is 87 years old (but still gets around very well). I will have to ask him next time I see him about getting pictures. Probably not something he'd do, but I'm sure that FWP gets an earful when they stop by his place. He's as fed up as anybody, probably more so than many others. Last year he went out to get some wood from the woodpile. Heard a noise, saw a wolf. Figured he'd better get back inside. Woodpile isn't too far from his house. He had 7 of them around him by the time he got to his front door. :eek: That's just plain scary!

There are definitely more than 29 wolves up the North Fork. The hubby saw one this summer as he rounded the corner on his way down to work. He thought it was a big black bear in the middle of the road.......until he got closer and saw the poofy tail. Said it was HUGE!

One thing I've noticed is the LACK of deer or elk in the back of trucks. Usually during hunting season you see rigs with them all over around here. It'll be interesting to see how the numbers are for successful hunts this season.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I just heard MT closed the wolf season....too bad. I think they need to break it up into smaller districts. That will thin things out more evenly.

Maybe they'll get that right for next year.

Premium Features