• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 50th 166 Q?

R
Apr 20, 2009
vernon bc
hello every one, finaly found a good site and even better people. lol so i just picked my new sled, 2005 rmk 900 50th anniversary 166. has had all updates and recalls done before hand. heres my questions
- the sled is on its second crank and is now running the 06 crank, are the 06cranks a better crank than the 05?
-what is a good oil to run?
- what octaine do the 900's use?
-where or who can ballance a clutch in canada.. BC
- where is the fuel filter and how often should it be changed?

well thoes are my questions for now, im sure there will be more some time soon.

any help is greatly apreciated,
Dave

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
hello every one, finaly found a good site and even better people. lol so i just picked my new sled, 2005 rmk 900 50th anniversary 166. has had all updates and recalls done before hand. heres my questions
- the sled is on its second crank and is now running the 06 crank, are the 06cranks a better crank than the 05?
-what is a good oil to run?
- what octaine do the 900's use?
-where or who can ballance a clutch in canada.. BC
- where is the fuel filter and how often should it be changed?

well thoes are my questions for now, im sure there will be more some time soon.

any help is greatly apreciated,
Dave

yes but did the case getchecked out? - the sled is on its second crank and is now running the 06 crank, are the 06cranks a better crank than the 05?

I use 87 octane but try to stay away from Ethanol. Make sure running correct spark plugs. octaine do the 900's use?

Don't know Canada but on here 1200psi and Indydan balance a clutch in canada.. BC

behind the secondary clutch and near the power valve solenoid. Should be secured to side plate. Need special tool to remove hose and depressurize the fuel line prior to removal. How often ... I think every 1000-1500 miles but cost $20-$25 delivered cheap insurance for fuel injected. where is the fuel filter and how often should it be changed

good question ... long debates on here on what kind of oil to use what is a good oil to run?

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Riderharder....welcome to the forum. This is the greatest place for Polaris/900 snowmobile information on the internet! It is always good to have another 900 rider in the group.

Anyways, at the top of the 900 Sub-forum here, we have a sticky.......

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157066

Go to that address and it will link you to almost every question/answer you have about your sled. There are so many knowledgeable people on this forum. I think some of them should be hired by Polaris because they are smarter and more creative than the engineers they have. Once again welcome to the forum, and enjoy!

R
Apr 20, 2009
vernon bc
yes but did the case getchecked out? - the sled is on its second crank and is now running the 06 crank, are the 06cranks a better crank than the 05?

I use 87 octane but try to stay away from Ethanol. Make sure running correct spark plugs. octaine do the 900's use?

Don't know Canada but on here 1200psi and Indydan balance a clutch in canada.. BC

behind the secondary clutch and near the power valve solenoid. Should be secured to side plate. Need special tool to remove hose and depressurize the fuel line prior to removal. How often ... I think every 1000-1500 miles but cost $20-$25 delivered cheap insurance for fuel injected. where is the fuel filter and how often should it be changed

good question ... long debates on here on what kind of oil to use what is a good oil to run?

i am asuming the case is good he rode it like that for 400-600 mi before i picked it up. and waht are the corect plugs? it has br9es in it atm.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
i am asuming the case is good he rode it like that for 400-600 mi before i picked it up. and waht are the corect plugs? it has br9es in it atm.

Does the sled vibrate at all?

Champion RN57YCC

According to Polaris, the NGK BPR9ES and NGK BPR9EVX spark plugs are acceptable substitutes for the Champion RN57YCC and RN57YC spark plugs now found on Polaris engines. The NGK plugs seem to have better sealing gaskets that reduce seepage anytime the plugs have been removed and reinstalled. The ”EV” is a premium fine-wire electrode version of the “ES”.
Which brings to light another question, what is the difference between the Champion RN57YC and RN57YCC? According to Polaris, the RN57YC is also an acceptable replacement for the more commonly used RN57YCC, and that engine damage will not result from this substitution. The CC plug has a longer copper ground electrode for higher heat conductivity, with more coverage (longer ground electrode) for increased plug life, and reduced RFI (radio frequency interference). The CC plug is the better choice, but you can run the single-C version if needed.
It is also generally accepted to substitute the new NGK BR9ECS spark plug for all BR9ES applications. The ECS plug is now common issue on most if not all Ski-Doo two-strokes. This plug has a conical shape base which can allow for a shorter center electrode and a shorter ground electrode in comparison to the old standard BR9ES. The benefits of this are a reduction in pre-ignition and detonation by dissipating heat more efficiently via the electrode and conical shape base, along with a reduced chance of vibration breakage with the shorter ground electrode. And, they cost about twice what the BR9ES does.
The one substitution that is NOT recommended is to use the NGK BR9EYA in anything other than applications that specify this plug. This spark plug is primarily found in Arctic Cat two-stroke applications.

R
Apr 20, 2009
vernon bc
well i havent been able to ride it yet but yes i did notice some vibration moving it to the shop from the truck. so are the champion plugs better than the ngk plugs? what would you guys recomend?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
well i havent been able to ride it yet but yes i did notice some vibration moving it to the shop from the truck. so are the champion plugs better than the ngk plugs? what would you guys recomend?

My vote is for the NGK BPR9ES... my buddy threw a set of my used ones in after fouling 2 brand new sets of champions within 2 hours. We both rode the sled b4 and after and there was a noticeable increase in throttle response and it idled smoother also:eek::D:D

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
My vote is for the NGK BPR9ES... my buddy threw a set of my used ones in after fouling 2 brand new sets of champions within 2 hours. We both rode the sled b4 and after and there was a noticeable increase in throttle response and it idled smoother also:eek::D:D

I think the best advice for a 900 engine is ....

If it aint broke don't fix it ... because on a 900 you might have an unitended consequence.

Try the Champion plugs if not okay then go back to the NGK. Ask the previous owner why he switched.

There is not a universal specific method to get the 900 running perfect.

The clutch getting balanced is so important on a 900. A broken belt at WOT can end you season.

Last edited:
H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA

If it aint broke don't fix it ... because on a 900 you might have an unitended consequence.

Try the Champion plugs if not okay then go back to the NGK. Ask the previous owner why he switched.

The clutch getting balanced is so important on a 900. A broken belt at WOT can end you season.

My primary is going to take an act of God to remove...sled runs great with the normal vibration. So the question is, do you (anyone chime in here) think it's worth risking damage to the clutch/crank just to get the clutch balanced?

Background: I've bent 3 quality pullers, used heat, smacked the puller multiple time, let it set with pressure on it, filled it with fluid, etc....nothing. I know a 1" impact will probably do it but at what cost to the parts:(

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
My primary is going to take an act of God to remove...sled runs great with the normal vibration. So the question is, do you (anyone chime in here) think it's worth risking damage to the clutch/crank just to get the clutch balanced?

Background: I've bent 3 quality pullers, used heat, smacked the puller multiple time, let it set with pressure on it, filled it with fluid, etc....nothing. I know a 1" impact will probably do it but at what cost to the parts:(

Hey Andy, We just took Marks Primary off to rebuild his motor with the updated crank and it was locked on pretty good too seeing as it had never been off. What we did was let the sled warm up for about 5 minutes to let the crank warm up just a bit, then got the bolt out. lifted the sled on its side, filled the hole with water, put teflon tape on the threads of the puller to make a good seal for the water, and greased the heck out of the puller just for good measure, after about 45 minutes and various different combinations of the above mentioned methods, it finally popped off, but it took absolutely every bit of strength each of us could muster... Mark on the clutch holder, and myself on an 18" x 1/2" drive breaker bar, I thought I was gonna break the breaker bar first, but it finally came loose.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

Did you get it off?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Has anybody had any trouble with the polaris ves gold oil. I was thinking of trying some.
I just picked up a o6 900 rmk. it had blue oil in it. what color is the ves gold.
Thanks Rob

I have run VES Gold for the last 2 years without problems, but this is a very touchy issue, if you talk to 5 different people and you will get 5 different opinions. VES Gold is gold color, lol:beer;

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com

So are you saying if my 05 is still running that I should NOT change out the pistons to the new style????

I use Amsoil Interceptor oil in mine and have run the HPI in the non EV sleds for the last 10-12 years.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT

Has anybody had any trouble with the polaris ves gold oil. I was thinking of trying some.
I just picked up a o6 900 rmk. it had blue oil in it. what color is the ves gold.
Thanks Rob

like 94fordguy said above..you will get many different opinions on the VES Gold oil..as for me..NO WAY! I have used AMSOIL for along time and have since switched to Castrol 2T, CITCO sea/snow or INJEX..those are the ONLY oil i will use in my sleds...to each his own..but if the BEST crank builder in the business advises me NOT to use a certain oil..you bet your rear end i wont touch it..IMO

So are you saying if my 05 is still running that I should NOT change out the pistons to the new style????

I use Amsoil Interceptor oil in mine and have run the HPI in the non EV sleds for the last 10-12 years.

OMG!! if your running 05 pistons..i would run out in the garage and yank them out tonight!! lol..well not tonight, but lets just say if it were me..i wouldnt even start the sled until they were the 06 pistons in it..IMHO!:eek:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

900 owners on here will tell you to swap them out in a minute.

I bought my 900 sled from a Polaris engineer and he told me to swap out the 05 pistons to 06 was a waste of money.

I swapped out the pistons on mine after some miles but everything was perfect inside. Could see the cross hairs all over the cylinder walls.

Premium Features