• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boss seat mod

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
High rise flat top boss seat on my M8. I 've had several and all have same short coming that are fairly easy to fix.

1. Can't hardly get my hand in the itty bitty trunk space.

Turn seat over, unzip the cover, take a small wire wheel on a drill or air angle and grind away the foam around the zipper pocket opening and I've done this more agressively on my latest seat, also grind away more foam in the forward section of the pocket for more room. Used to be an extra pair of gloves and a pop was all I could get in there. I think I increased the room by another 75% or so.

2. Everything in my seat trunk / zipper pocket gets wet each ride.

After I opened up my seat pocket space, I have covered the seat pocket area of the bottom of the seat with thin waterproof material glued on. Snow landing on the tunnel behind the seat melts due to the heat exchanger and always runs down under the seat on the M's, wet lunch and tools.........messy.

3. STill wet under the seat, remove seat and place a generous bead of clear silicone caulk just inside the glued on velcro on the tunnel, place a sheet of seran wrap plastic film over the area to your seat won't be permanently stuck down, put seat down in place and let it dry for 10 days, usually about 3 or 4, trim plastic film away, good seal now to keep water from seat storage area.

This mod is the only thing I found on stock M sled seats to cure the lake under the seat you have many days while riding in the powder.

P

prairieguy

Nov 26, 2007
how much foam can you remove before you lose the strengh of the suport? i just bought a boss seat and it did not come with a shovel compartment i was wondering what the difference in structure is between the two? does anyone have a picture of a boss seat for a m with the shovel storage?

thanks
joe

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
They don't have a shovel "compartment" - just a pocket for the shovel head. My last two seats have had a cargo net type pocket inside the main zippered flap and two long slots underneath that to put shovel handle and probe in. I never use the seat for shovel or probe storage though. That stays with me in the backpack - you never know when you will be seperated from your sled and need your survival equipment!!!!!

Oh and great idea on the storage enlargement catsledman. Just did it last night. Make sure you have a vac handy. Sure gets messy.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
outer limits

The two earlier M seats I hogged out just a little as I was worried about maybe seat collapse ? But in 07 I got right after this seat and ground a shovel handle cavity in addition to enlarging the rear pocket. 4500 miles no problems, but I stand a lot, weigh 200...........I suppose if you're heavy, sit down and hammer bumps the old fashioned way, you might break down the foam, then glue it up. Its pretty crude under there anyway, hard not to improve it.

P

prairieguy

Nov 26, 2007
when i'm out west i have my shovel in my pack but for little rips around home it would be nice to put the shovel under the seat since i don't ride with a pack around home. its not like i'll be getting stuck around home anyway but it would be nice to have when the little cuz'ns get there tanks stuck. any pics would be awsome just to see how far you guys went into the foam.

joe

Premium Features