• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diesel Owners Jump In!

M
Aug 29, 2005
Arvada, Colorado
We are selling our 2000 Dodge 2500 diesel. Were looking at new Duramax's. Even with discounts, price is still pretty steep. So, we have started looking at 03-04 Duramax's mainly because we love the Allison transmissions.

What are your thoughts on problems/issues you have had with them? Like them, love them, hate them?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Just sold our '02 DMax. LB7 engine, same as 03-04. All LB7's have a 7yr 200k mi injector warranty, alot of problems. That said, my 02 was fine at 93k mi when I sold it, original injectors. Only issue I ever had with the truck was the NSBU switch on the trans, which was a known problem an it's only a $70 part.
I loved the truck, planned on keeping it forever, but a sweet deal came along on a 07 Mega cab, 6sp.
The DMax was a great pulling truck, comfortable, very fast just with a programmer, started in -20deg weather without being plugged in, etc. Only worry was the injectors, but an 03-04 will have 2-3 yrs warranty left on them.
04.5-05 LLY, 5 sp Alli good trucks, some had overheating problems that I understand the mfr never really cured, although there are some reasonable $aftermarket fixes available.
06-07 LBZ, get the 6sp Alli, and no issues that I'm aware of. I'd reccomed the LBZ if you can find one for the $ you want to spend.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Would personally stick with cummins. I have had 2 diff. dodges with cummins and my dad had the d-max. He had some problems with it. Traded it in on a dodge. Just my 2 cents.
There are people on here that have traded every brand for something else. They all can be problem free and they all can have problems!!!

M
Aug 29, 2005
Arvada, Colorado
Our only problem is we want to go with an automatic, get away from the standard transmission. From what we know, the Fords and Dodge's have problems with torque on the automatics. Does anyone know if that is still true?

D
Nov 26, 2007
Both of my dodges have been autos. I had a 99 and currently have an 05. No problems with the 05. If you do happen to get an 05 cummins, watch out for the plastic sides on the intercooler. They blow out at about 40 lbs of boost.:D

G
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I have an '05 LLY D-Max and it has been great w/ no issues (knock on wood). I pull a 28' camp trailer and a 4 place enclosed and it pulls great. Oh, and I've never experienced the overheat issues that some have. Good luck!

~Gaz

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
2008 LMM Duramax

I bought a 2008 CC SB LMM duramax about four months ago. I just turned over 5000 miles on her. I absolutley love this pickup, tons of power and you cant beat the six speed allison. The only downfall of the new diesels (any brand) is the emission control, ford and gm run the DPF (diesel particulate filter) and dodge is doing their blu-tec thing. This does hurt your milage a little compared to the older diesels, but there is no smoke and no smell to deal with. I run an edge juice with attitude chip on mine and in the milage setting am getting a hand calculated 18.5 miles to the gallon at 75mph. I also have 285/60/18 tires on so that probably hurts my milage alittle over the stock 265 tires. Also fyi, the new body style gm/chevy are real particular on how big of tires you can run, I had to put a leveling kit on mine so they wouldnt rub. If I had it to do over again I would definatly buy a new one again, you cant beat the comfort of the interior and the driveability is just awesome. Couldnt be happier with my purchase. You should try dave smith motors in kellog idaho, that is where I got mine and it was a killer deal, 12000 off the sticker. pic is of before the leveling kit and the new wheels and tires

Greg

2008 GMC 1.jpg

Last edited:
All newer trucks rock but the Duramax really rock if you like the quiet smooth ride! And my opinon all trucks have issues!!!

GM trucks have electric problems nothing that will stop it from running. IE; lights not being able to turn off daylight/headlights, illumination on steering buttons and a recall on tailgate cables!! LOL

I know alot of duramax owner and these are almost a guarentee, and none have been towed home!

New 6 sp if you can afford it!! If not find a low mile 03(this way you get all the computer options.

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
What are your thoughts on problems/issues you have had with them? Like them, love them, hate them?
I loved my 03 Duramax, part of me wishes I wouldn't have traded it in.

The transmission was getting down to needing a rebuild, the turbo needed replaced, and the front end needed to be rebuilt... again...

had 130,000 miles on it and I was averaging 20mpg.

the things you need to realize are:

• you will be rebuilding front ends
  • you will need to replace the turbo if it already hasn't been done (depending on miles)
  • an exhaust is recommended, just don't do a 5" sraight pipe like I did
  • don't change out the intake
  • I have a PPE controller for sale if you do get one :D

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Our only problem is we want to go with an automatic, get away from the standard transmission. From what we know, the Fords and Dodge's have problems with torque on the automatics. Does anyone know if that is still true?

From what I've read, the 48RE autos in the 5.9 Dodges (04-07) are pretty tough and reliable, but after driving a few, IMO, the gear splits are too far apart, only being 4 speeds. It's why I went with a 6sp manual in the Dodge, which I couldn't be happier with. (it's my wifes DD and she has no trouble shifting it) Although if I had a city commute, teh manual trans would be cumbersome.
I really liek both the DMax and the 5.9 Cummins Dodges. If you want an auto trans in a used truck, get the DMax/Alli.

R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
From what we know, the Fords and Dodge's have problems with torque on the automatics. Does anyone know if that is still true?

I can't speak for the Ford camp, but I can speak for the newest Dodges.

The 68RFE (6 speed auto, coming behind the 6.7L Cummins), is bulletproof. I have not seen one single thread on any diesel message board about problems with them. I have 22k on mine and it is an amazing transmission. Coupled with the exhaust brake (which nobody else has as a standard part on the pickup), you can stop any load. Do not shy away from the newer Dodges based on the transmission. The 48RE (4 speed auto on the '03-'07 Dodges) is a good tranny too, but I would agree that it's gears are too far apart...I like the spacing on the 6-speed auto, and how low they made reverse.

My opinion...22k on my '07.5 6.7L Cummins with the 68RFE, and it's been wonderful. :beer;

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
i have 3 duramax diesels, an 01 dmax allison 3/4t 180k; 03 dmax 6spd 1t 190k; 07 dmax allis 1t 90k; done nothin but abuse everyone of em, never had any front end problems, all oilfield work so none if it in easy country, had a 05 dodge cummins auto 1t towed 5 times 2 trannys in 80k decided that was enough and bought the 07,
just my experience,

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
From what I've read, the 48RE autos in the 5.9 Dodges (04-07) are pretty tough and reliable, but after driving a few, IMO, the gear splits are too far apart, only being 4 speeds. It's why I went with a 6sp manual in the Dodge, which I couldn't be happier with. (it's my wifes DD and she has no trouble shifting it) Although if I had a city commute, teh manual trans would be cumbersome.
I really liek both the DMax and the 5.9 Cummins Dodges. If you want an auto trans in a used truck, get the DMax/Alli.

Very good advice. Sounds like a good used Lbz may be the ticket. Have two friends with 06 duramaxs' that have been very good trucks.Dodges have treated me well for the most part but there kinda like a cracker jax box with a good motor, axles, transfer case and transmission(6 speed) Auto are not to bad but could be better.My brother and I have had to replace window switches,bezels and lots of dumb but cheap Chit(window switch was 21 dollars).Chevys seem to have a lot nicer interior and smoother ride(IFS).Stock to Stock the chevy is better for some.

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
"2003 was one of the best years for the Duramax. Very little problems and they got great economy."

injector problems, but chevy would warranty till 200,000.Definetly the best diesel for fuel mileage with the vp44 cummins 5.9 following close.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
My 2006 Cummins MegaCab is putting out about 900 ft/lbs at the shaft, and I'm still on transmission #1.

Find a 2006 or 2007 (Make sure it's a 5.9). There are plenty of clean, used Cummins Dodges around for a reasonable price. If you're worried about the transmission, spend a few extra $$ and get a Goering or ATS. You'll still be money ahead and NO pollution control crap.

Here's a bunch of listings within 200 miles of your town:

Page 1: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=

Page 2: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...ic&max_price=&pager.offset=25&first_record=26

Last edited:
J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
They are all good trucks per say. I personally have owned all of these trucks minus a 6.0 Ford. I loved the Duramax to just drive. It was a really comfortable truck. However, I could not stand pulling anything with it. It was the worst truck that I have owned with a trailer behind it. Power was great, the truck just didn't track good, got moved around from the wind, bounced like mad. It averaged 16 mpg for me empty.
I currently own three Cummins and two Powerstrokes of various years. One of the Powerstrokes is brand new so I will save judgement for a later date.
The Cummins I have, have all pulled lots of weight since they were new. And two of them pull up to 30,000lbs frequently. All three have lots there tranny's. The nice thing with the auto's though, is you can build them to do what you want. The manual I own that broke has no aftermarket parts, so I was stuck with another stock tranny.(will not make that mistake again.)
Anyhow, on my 05', I have had to replace all brakes and rotors, and every Ujoint in 100,000 miles. It is however a pulling machine, and gets 16-17 mpg average.
The 07 with the manual has had the tranny replaced and that's it so far. It only gets around 14 mpg average. It has the 5.9.
To sum it up in my experience. If you primarily drive empty and pull a snowmobile trailer, take a pick of any of them. Stick with an auto, again, any of them. If you pull heavy, look a little closer at the Dodges and Fords.

Premium Features