• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question to diesel owners - 3.0L vs. 6.6L?

B
Nov 10, 2016
If I am going to be using my truck only for shorter mountain commutes with a sled deck, should I be considering the new chevy 3.0L diesel 1/2 ton?

Not a brand topic, am about to sell my 2500 HD 6.0L gas and was really only looking at 3/4 ton diesel trucks. Am tired of the lack of power climbing grades, hence the diesel, but maybe a 1/2 ton isn't a great idea if my truck will be loaded up most all winter. my current truck just feels way more durable than any 1/2 ton i have ridden in.

Any constructive input on what I should get?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If I am going to be using my truck only for shorter mountain commutes with a sled deck, should I be considering the new chevy 3.0L diesel 1/2 ton?

Not a brand topic, am about to sell my 2500 HD 6.0L gas and was really only looking at 3/4 ton diesel trucks. Am tired of the lack of power climbing grades, hence the diesel, but maybe a 1/2 ton isn't a great idea if my truck will be loaded up most all winter. my current truck just feels way more durable than any 1/2 ton i have ridden in.

I plan òn ordering the new F150 3.0L just as soon as the 2019s appear online

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
This is a hot topic at several sites. I too have considered the 1/2 ton diesel to have a lighter truck with great fuel mileage. The problem is that the cost isn't far off of the HD version. Even the gasser trucks are way up there in price, but they can usually be found at better deals than the diesel versions. No matter how you look at it, be ready to spend $60k ++ for a loaded out truck of any kind.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Don't come to BC if you have a half ton with 2 sleds and a deck on. You will be pulled over by the cops because you are over weight. Too light of a truck, even with my 3/4 I run air bags. My one ton dually doesn't need bags. Don't limit yourself with a truck that kind of does the job, get the right tool. JMO.

M5

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is a hot topic at several sites. I too have considered the 1/2 ton diesel to have a lighter truck with great fuel mileage. The problem is that the cost isn't far off of the HD version. Even the gasser trucks are way up there in price, but they can usually be found at better deals than the diesel versions. No matter how you look at it, be ready to spend $60k ++ for a loaded out truck of any kind.
Agreed.
This is NOT about saving money on the cost of the truck.
I could pretty much get an F250 Diesel for more or less the same cost as the 150.

This is all about MILEAGE on all the days when I am not pulling a trailer AND a higher overall creature comfort rating for around town and high DRIVABILITY.

The F150 is simply a more "pleasant" truck to spend hours and hours inside of than the 250 is.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Don't come to BC if you have a half ton with 2 sleds and a deck on. You will be pulled over by the cops because you are over weight. Too light of a truck, even with my 3/4 I run air bags. My one ton dually doesn't need bags. Don't limit yourself with a truck that kind of does the job, get the right tool. JMO.

M5
Loaded Sled Decks are like having a full time trailer

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Agreed.
This is NOT about saving money on the cost of the truck.
I could pretty much get an F250 Diesel for more or less the same cost as the 150.

This is all about MILEAGE on all the days when I am not pulling a trailer AND a higher overall creature comfort rating for around town and high DRIVABILITY.

The F150 is simply a more "pleasant" truck to spend hours and hours inside of than the 250 is.

I agree the 1/2 ton is just a better truck for daily use. Just hitting a bump will remind you. Easier to turn and park and get in and out of. But I never did understand spending more money to save fuel mileage. I guess if it is a daily commuter and that's all you have - and you need a truck bed. I'm looking forward to a "shoot out" between the GM, Ford and Dodge half diesels.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
This is why I have two trucks, my 1 ton dmax for pulling the RV/sleds and then I got an old 1st gen 4 banger Tacoma for daily driving, offroading, hunting etc.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i've had many trucks over the years, 30+, general rules (always situational exceptions to general rules) 1/2 tons, 6k lbs max, 250's, 9k lbs max, 350's, up to 13k lbs max...this is for winter roads as they come, not necessarily a particular sunny day, and this is for loaded trailers, always considering wind, terrain, traffic....for bed carry, 1/2 ton, one sled; 250/ 350 two sleds...don't know of anything carrying more than two sleds in bed, but there might be...remember, it's not just pulling power that makes a good choice, it's how does the suspension handle weight, and adverse winds and stopping situations, which will get you in more trouble than pulling power of your rig...slick roads can combine with curves, wind and downhill stops to increase pucker factor significantly...higher truck ratings always handle the unexpected better....i'
ve found 350's to be too stiff for me when empty for general driving, 150's leave me wanting more weight handling ability and power....250's seem just about right overall for me...everyone will have preferences depending on personal need and desire, which is why we have many choices available to us...i only went too heavy once, but it was only a little too heavy, but i've had to upgrade to a more capable truck several times.....my daily driver ? an 18 f-150 with 5.0; my sled, boat, all other trailer truck is a 17 f-250 with airbags...if i could have only one ? easy choice, f-250, gas or diesel...:face-icon-small-hap

B
Nov 10, 2016
Thank you for the feedback. With that said. What is best website for unbiased information on best 3/4 diesel. Would like ford or Chevy based on service
Options.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
We've got a customer running Nissan diesels on their farms and very happy with them.
They were running Tundras previously.

Could be the perfect compromise between halfers & HDs.

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
The difference in a F250/350 and a chevy 2500/3500 is just a set of overload springs on both trucks axles stay the same until you go to a dully, my 3500 chevy doesn't even touch the over load springs when i had a tuff lift and two sleds in it. It barley touched with the tufflift my rzr and my camper on. So as far as ride goes both trucks are the same 250/350 and chevys 2500/3500 every one things one tons ride worse but they dont its all in your head the HD trucks naturally ride worse then a 1/2 ton. But a one ton diesel and be done with it and buy a little Toyota or half ton for your daily and save the diesel imo. I picked up a 06 chevy half ton with 130k for 4k been a great little daily driver my diesel stay in in the garage unless its pulling or hauling sleds now.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

If all you're doing is short commutes with a sled deck why even bother forking over the money for a diesel at all? The only time a diesel makes any sense is if you are regularly towing or hauling the weight of your tow vehicle or more .... I'd just get a nice comfy half-ton with a modern gas motor, put air bags on the back axle and be done with it.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If buying a 1/2 ton diesel, are you gonna flip the truck in 5 years? The resale value on these are unknown right now - I'll guarantee you that the retail value of a 250/350 class diesel is going to be strong in five years. It takes alot of fuel and maintenance to make up for losing thousands, or five digits, on a flip. Owning a good vehicle for 10 years or more and this becomes much less of an issue.

Regarding ride, I've always been pleased with the ride improvement by placing 200lbs in the bed of my 3500 SRWCCLB. LBZ was the same way. In addition to overload springs, 1 tons SRWs do have larger stab bars than 3/4s.

Premium Features