• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'06 Cylinder Bolts

K
Jan 8, 2011
Halfmoon, NY
Has anyone had issues with the '06 900 cylinder bolts being too long? I am getting coolant in the PTO cylinder. I just did pistons, base and head gaskets to take care of the problem, but it didn't help. The motor has 250 original miles on it. I also pressurized the coolant system with the piston all the way up and am not getting coolant on top of the piston but am losing pressure, so that tells me its at the base or in the block. Ideas? One reply I got was about the fuel injector being drilled too deep from the factory. Anyone else heard of this?
Thanks

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The 2005's had that issue... I've not hear of 06's with it though. I guess it is possible... or maybe there is debris in the bolt holes that is not allowing the bolt(s) to tighten completely.

2005 900 Cleanfire Engine Cylinder Bolt Washer Addition
The possibility exists where the bores drilled for the cylinder bolts in the upper crankcase may not have been drilled deep enough or metal shavings may be at the bottom of the bore(s). When this occurs, the cylinder bolt clamp force is reduced even while the desired cylinder bolt torque has been reached.

The primary symptom is a white--carbon build up on one spark plug metal casing wall.
If this symptom occurs, Polaris recommends the following action:

1. Drain the engine coolant.
2. Remove the cylinder head. Discard the cylinder head o--rings.
3. Loosen and remove the cylinder bolts. Install awasher, PN7556234, on each cylinder bolt. Re--install cylinder bolts and torque to 34 ft.lbs. (46 Nm) following the torque sequence in the appropriate service manual.
4. Re--install the cylinder head, new o--rings and fasteners. Follow the recommended torque specification and sequence in the appropriate service manual.
5. Re--fill engine cooling system. Bleed the air out of the system and test. Polaris Industries Inc. recommends the washers, PN 7556234, be added to the cylinder bolts WHENEVER the engine is removed or re--built for any reason.

Premium Features