• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grip-n-Rip clutch alignment tool etc

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So donbrown posted this link on the tread comparing different clutch arms. I wanted to get some feed back on what the clutch gurus or self proclaimed clutch gurus thought about the Grip and Rip clutch alignment tools and parts. I don’t know enough about clutching to know if this is genius(what it sounds like to someone clutch ignorant like me) or bs lol.
The video is great and the logic seems sound and I’m tempted to buy the tools for our group of guys to set up all our sleds with but like I said it could just be someone’s solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. Please watch the full video if you are going to comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFd8btzO0ro

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
This season I've blown 2 x 531's. The first this season turned into little pieces of chocolate and fuzz. The second one last Friday blew the outer layer off just like you seen 20 of them on the net. Now im running a 571 and see how it holds up till I do the alignment.

I got to meet inthe8's (from Washington) beginning of Dec in Revelstoke and prior to arrival, he did the grip-n-rip alignment w/red engine mount & a little mod of his own to get the alignment good and engine fairly stable.

Last season Pat had temps from 305 to 330 degrees after a good pull. This time he had temperatures in the 190 to 210's and I seen it with my own eyes.
Then I got to take his 175 for a ride and giver' a little shakedown, was really fun to drive that tractor; come back to the launch point, Pat ripped the panel and clutch guard off and 200 degrees.

...M I I I I N T !...

So now after hearing his testimony, seeing his sled, driving his sled, and his best riding bud Steve that was there with his 175 and his testimony and temperature measurements - my personal firsthand knowledge (not parakeeting), and a small handful of guys calling me on the phone telling me their testimony - im going to get RIPPED with the Grip-N too!
Ermm...
...and those Minty Washington guys clutches are running 19-53 like mine. he he he
...they also run the 391s (had some left over from disliking the 531)

Right now i've not done the G-N-R alignment as Im waiting for more shims to come in; gonna do a flurry of G4's when I get the time on a few sundays coming up.

Tonight before I closed shop, I chatted w/a guy who's running a 2019 (nineteen) that did the alignment and had 155 out on the C2C. He's gonna call back next week after he runs the bag offa it this weekend and take some temperatures.

Last edited:

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
This season I've blown 2 x 531's. The first this season turned into little pieces of chocolate and fuzz. The second one last Friday blew the outer layer off just like you seen 20 of them on the net. Now im running a 571 and see how it holds up till I do the alignment.

I got to meet inthe8's (from Washington) beginning of Dec in Revelstoke and prior to arrival, he did the grip-n-rip alignment w/red engine mount & a little mod of his own to get the alignment good and engine fairly stable.

Last season Pat had temps from 305 to 330 degrees after a good pull. This time he had temperatures in the 190 to 210's and I seen it with my own eyes.
Then I got to take his 175 for a ride and giver' a little shakedown, was really fun to drive that tractor; come back to the launch point, Pat ripped the panel and clutch guard off and 200 degrees.

...M I I I I N T !...

So now after hearing his testimony, seeing his sled, driving his sled, and his best riding bud Steve that was there with his 175 and his testimony and temperature measurements - my personal firsthand knowledge (not parakeeting), and a small handful of guys calling me on the phone telling me their testimony - im going to get RIPPED with the Grip-N too!
Ermm...
...and those Minty Washington guys clutches are running 19-53 like mine. he he he
...they also run the 391s (had some left over from disliking the 531)

Right now i've not done the G-N-R alignment as Im waiting for more shims to come in; gonna do a flurry of G4's when I get the time on a few sundays coming up.

Tonight before I closed shop, I chatted w/a guy who's running a 2019 (nineteen) that did the alignment and had 155 out on the C2C. He's gonna call back next week after he runs the bag offa it this weekend and take some temperatures.

I saw your reply on this subject on Dootalk and you mentioned
“wrong belt”
Could you explain what you meant?Pretty please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
My pleasure.

Lets say the C2C is supposed to be 10-9/16" (10.5625") for 1.9~2.1:1 clutch ratio using a 44 inch belt - this is the belt in about the middle of the clutch.

When you press full throttle the engine torques .150 inches closer to the secondary clutch.

10.5625 (what its supposed to be at full throttle)
10.4125 (is what's happening at full throttle)

...the 44 inch circumference (distance around) is not correct for a 10.4125 inch center to center.

Ok with that being said then the correct belt is on the clutches when the...
1] engine is shut off or
2] part throttle
...because point 1] and 2] the engine is not torquing, pulling towards the secondary clutch, closing the C2C up.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
You must be a six sigma black belt Joe,
I guess I asked for the easy route..
And your making me think!
The corrected C to C is 1/2” closer?
With a 19/53 gear @ full shift the belt is already too long.
So a grip and rip corrected C to C
And 19/53 gear will need a much shorter belt?
I think I have this all wrong?

Last edited:

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Neglect talking about gearing. Im only talking about how much in inches the engine moves around under the hood when you are at full throttle.
The engine sits when its off. Then when running, under load, it torques out of its rest position where its supposed to have XX.XXX center(of primary clutch) to center(of secondary clutch) value.

I think Im getting this right...

The GNR system shows you how much the engine can go theoretically misaligned in several directions under full throttle.

For lack of better numbers, right now my engine is moving a 1/4 inch towards the secondary clutch. The C2C gets smaller with more load.

After you do the procedure, the engine wont move .250 anymore, i might move .020 towards the secondary clutch.

You are going to reset the engine in its module in a manner that it wont move towards the secondary clutch as it did before. IF the C2C is supposed to be XX.XXX inches then when full throttle it will be as close as possible to that engineered value.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
So are you thinking shorter belt than the 391?
Or try the thicker 571?
Not sure if we can get 571 belts yet?
Thanks for the info!
Always appreciated!

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
The only thing im thinking is doing the work with the GNR tool to make my engine "Stay put" as best it can.

Then I can throw whatever belt on, set the deflection (belt tension between two pulleys)... and go beat the pissouta my sled, showin the kids how its done downtown. :becky:

Last edited:
I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
I have the 19 engine and secondary helix updates, I haven't done the grip and RIP alignment unless I-90 motorsports did it with my updates. I did spend the 20 bucks on the poly torque stop. Seems everything is working good in 2 rides this sh!tty winter hear in Washington. Belt looks perfect after 80ish hard miles. Might get some more time this Sunday if it dont rain when it's done snowing. Love the sled. Just need snow

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
The only thing im thinking is doing the work with the GNR tool to make my engine "Stay put" as best it can.

Then I can throw whatever belt on, set the deflection (belt tension between two pulleys)... and go beat the pissouta my sled, showin the kids how its done downtown. :becky:

I was quite impressed with your snerty downhill shots on Dootalk!
If you weren’t flogging the ole girl there I can’t wait for the new carnage shots!
Gonna be epic!

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
As a FYI - this was not in the best test conditions possible as the snow was very hard pack and the machine wasn't working nearly as hard as it would most deep days.

Completed some testing on the aligned setup this past week.

18 Summit 154
Updated clutching
3.0 track w factory gear set
Panel Venting
Shimmed and have one red poly stopper on the front PTO mount.

Conditions were very hard pack and tough going. Was a little difficult to really load the motor aside from some full throttle uphill pulls. Didn't abuse it as much as I would have liked to but it's something. Going up/down a hill that's a bit shy of 1000' on a fairly steep slope at throttle that was on/off. Repeated pulls 3-4 times, weather around -3 C.

Measured primary clutch face temps around 150-160F; secondary approximately 20-30 F lower, belt temp close to the same as the primary. Overall quite happy. Different days, different conditions, but I was ~225 - 250F before alignment on some similar pulls. Not the most apples to apples comparison and I wouldn't say I instantly had a 100F temp decrease, but it sure appears to have helped.

With the red stopper, vibration has increased, but it isn't too bad. Still less than the M8000 that was in our group.

Premium Features