• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1979 GMC Jimmy/Blazer help

racingpit

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2002
Sheridan, WY
www.hoseplugs.com
Hey, my 1979 GMC Jimmy/Blazer seems to be having some trouble. The alternator and the battery have showed that they are good (had them tested at Napa). However, my battery doesn't seem to be charging. Anyone have any idea of where I should look? I initially installed a new alternator thinking that was the problem.... hmmm

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Have you checked the water in your battery?
Also have it checked with a load tester, that alone can tell you quite a bit.
Also make sure the posts and connectors are clean and tight.

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Make sure the battery connection is clean and TIGHT, have seen so many problems solved just from this simple fix. Have also seen the battery cable corroded inside the sheath to the point it was broken in two but looked OK on the outside.....just a couple things to check.

G
May 29, 2008
shadow of the cascades
OK First go start your truck, then remove the posotive(red) cable from the battery. Does the truck run or die? If it stays running your alt is putting out enough juice. If it dies you could then be positive that you have an alternator problem. Is the alt externaly regulated? ( a 3x3 inch box with one elecrical plug mounted to your inner fender well.) If yes thats probly your prob, if no check all wiring from the alt, battery, coil, etc... If all your wires and cables are in good shape you may have gotten a bad alt. If you still cant find the cause go get a beer and call a mechanic:beer;

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
heres a easy test...with the truck sitting idling, no lights or heater on...remove the negative battery cable..if the truck dies the alt is not charging..if it stays running the alt is working...if it stays running then you need to look closer at the battery..if it cranks over good the cables should be acceptable...

Premium Features