• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Best all around Bike?" 2013 Build Project

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I understand the black look but the clear is the shizzle ! U can see the fuel and always know your situation. Your gonna miss the 500 LOL. I'll bring mine and you can relive perfection lol

Ha!!! You DOG! You're killing me. The 500 ported 2/stroke .... That's a bike. I miss mine and can't wait to see and smell yours! If i'm real lucky, you will let me take a little "rip" on it. They are amazing. Hard to explain... When they're locked in on the pipe in about any gear, they pull ANYTHING with track speed. You can break trail into the secret zones. I'll be right on your finder! I WILL have another as a personal bike.! congrats on your custom build. Beautiful....

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
The sub frame off, new gas tank on and a good time to look at the battery. The stock battery worked perfectly last year with the bikes I was with. It is a concern of everyone so I will be testing some different ones this year. Here is a pic of the stock unit. I attached a link of a possible test battery. Stock is 50 cold cranking amps. This option has 200! There is rumor that the Lithium Ion Batteries don't perform well cold. I am thinking at 200 CCA, even cold should be more than enough? We will find out. Zero temps and cold starts. I will video the results.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Revie...-SHORAI-KTM-250350450SXF-LIGHTWEIGH-7938.aspx

025 small.jpg

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Time to keep the temps up. I installed KTM's 70C thermostat. It was easier than the traditional "Y" configuration. First use a coolant bypass plug to plug the lower fork of the Y and recirc nipple. Next, use a close coupling from the cylinder to the thermostat. Next connect the upper fork of the Y to the inlet nipple below your triple clamp using a gates hose I included. It is a 5" apposing 90. Very clean and easy install.

076 small.jpg 090 small.jpg 091 small.jpg 092 small.jpg 093 small.jpg 099 small.jpg

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
My 450EXC and 300Xcw came stock with the Yuasa 4. I ended up switching to a 7S. Not sure if the newer bikes can use the bigger battery or not. Way better than the 4. The tray in the 08 and 10 took the 7. You will have to look.

S

skyler.hager

Oct 13, 2009
Subscribed for this build. Sick bike, i've ridden em on the dirt and the 13 KTM 450 has some snort, to say the least. I sold my 300 to go get one :)

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Time to save the pants from melting. The folks at Penco helped me find a "one-size-fits all" shield to cover the power bomb on this T-5 system. It comes in crome. I ruffed it up with sand paper and two coats of self etching primer followed by two coates of gloss black, looks just right.

059 small.jpg 056 small.jpg 067 small.jpg

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
"Gus", wondering if the project is done yet? I guess I'll wait in the boat. Still waiting....Well, I guess I'll take a nap...... zzzzzzz

084 small.jpg 098 small.jpg 110 small.jpg

Last edited:

whistlerhawk

Premium Member
Mar 23, 2008
Whistler BC
I have a 2012 500 EXC and I removed my entire airbox and run a pod and snowskin. I placed the temperature sensor tip through the pod. With the airbox gone, there is lots of room around the pod and I've never had a snow plugging the intake issue since. Sometimes when I dump the bike, snow jams into the frame etc, but I just scoop that out and it is good to go. After each ride, I take off the pod to dry it so it is ready for the next ride. If you store your bike indoors then it probably isn't necessary. For me, running a pod solved all the intake issues.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I have a 2012 500 EXC and I removed my entire airbox and run a pod and snowskin. I placed the temperature sensor tip through the pod. With the airbox gone, there is lots of room around the pod and I've never had a snow plugging the intake issue since. Sometimes when I dump the bike, snow jams into the frame etc, but I just scoop that out and it is good to go. After each ride, I take off the pod to dry it so it is ready for the next ride. If you store your bike indoors then it probably isn't necessary. For me, running a pod solved all the intake issues.[/QUOT

Yes, we put together a pod system a couple years ago and had excelent luck with it on other bikes. Last year we put that system on an SXF450 and it worked excelent. The stock box is a little tight and limited room to run a pod inside it. The best option for a pod is to remove the air box. With this project, I wanted as little mod's and shop time as possible to stay with the theme, "buy it and go ride it", no hassle. I altered the stock box slightly and added a "window" of "frog skin" and will test it that way. If there are any box filling issues, I will install the Boondocker pod.

IMG_0743.jpg

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I thought the 450 was 61HP in Dungey race trim. I doubt a stock bike from the factory is 61HP. Anyone dyno one ? It was barely 50HP 2 years ago ?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I thought the 450 was 61HP in Dungey race trim. I doubt a stock bike from the factory is 61HP. Anyone dyno one ? It was barely 50HP 2 years ago ?

MCA dynoed the 13 at 57hp stock and 60hp with the T5 exhaust. They are 3rd party and test and report on every bike. Good numbers. Also the 13 and 13.5 models are the same. No functional changes, same motor, suspension, etc. Basically orange frame and a map switch separates the two.

Q: WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 2013-1/2 RYAN DUNGEY REPLICA AND THE 2013 KTM 450SXF?

A: There are also ten differences between the all-new, just released 2013-12 Ryan Dungey Replica (450SXF Factory Edition) and the 2013 production bike. Dungey’s new bike has these parts and the 2013 production version does not. (1) Orange frame. (2) Selle Dalla Valle gripper seat cover. (3) Two-position map switch to access three built-in maps. (4) Hand guards. (5) Supersprox rear sprocket. (6) Orange and blue Red Bull graphics. (7) Black rims and silver spokes. (8) New center case and clutch case that eliminate the unused kickstarter bosses (1/2 pound weight savings). (9) Front brake rotor guard. (10) Akrapovic slip-on muffler.

Q: WHAT ABOUT WEIGHT AND SOUND?

A: At 240 pounds it is three pounds lighter than the 2012 KTM 450SXF. Although the switch to full injection added about five pounds, KTM saved weight with its single overhead cam engine and die cast cases.

The KTM 450SXF blew a 112.4 dB level in our two-meter-max test. This is way below the 115 dB requirement. It should be noted that there is a restrictor cone (made out of perf core) inside the stock muffler that accounts for some of the sound reduction. As a test we bolted a two-meter-max legal aftermarket exhaust system onto the 2013 KTM 450SXF and reached 60 horsepower on the dyno. That means that with oxygenated MR-12 VP fuel and aftermarket pipe this bike could pump out close to 63 horsepower.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/1ddd9019-5056-490f-b96d-57b5a384aeca.aspx

Last edited:

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
57 hp is very good for a 450.
Prior to my turbo build I dynoed the KTM 500 EXC.
It put out 55,6 hp at rear wheel.
Maybe the 450 have more power and little less torqe than the 500?

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
I would be interested to know why you chose the ktm 450 over the ktm
500. Could you please share your reasons. Thanks.

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
power

more snow:

the 450 he is using is the SX 450 race bike.....close ratio tranny with tons of over-rev power....the 500 you speak of is a slower reving wide ratio tranny bike that is only 55ish horsepower, but its really the tranny and quick revs that get the nod on the 450....that being said the 500 works really well and def IMO better in the summer.....(for woods riding)

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I would be interested to know why you chose the ktm 450 over the ktm
500. Could you please share your reasons. Thanks.

Sorry, I've been away a few days. The 500XCW, the Gerg 501 are super super nice bikes for sure. I had a long list of bikes and needed a systematic method of making a choice based on performance factors specifically for a "snow bike". There were several that got dropped from the list early and three or four that were very close. I had to make some tight comparisons to eventually get to a "one bike winner". Specifically in regards to the 500XCW. It is 9lbs heavier. 9 is a lot on a sled, so 9lbs on a snow bike is a factor. The engine particulars that dboe22 mentioned were another big part, also with personal experience riding the 500XCW. There are 3 factors in the engine that make it an awesome woods bike, but hold it back some in the snow. #1- the cam profile is an enduro lobe for smooth, manageable power in single track and not an aggressive race profile. The result is about 5 less hp. #2-The XCW has a heavier fly wheel. Again for slower acceleration and slower rev's. Smoothing out the power to the ground. It also aids in preventing "bump stalls", but hurts it in "snow bike" performance. #3-Next is the ECU. The ignition profile is much less advanced that a race profile. Again, all enduro minded. The SXF has rapid advance in the mid range and retards in the over-rev. Pure race profile and aggressive. We have observed that an aggressive motor, light flywheel and aggressive ECU make a superb performing snow bike. #4-Last but not least was price. The 500XCW will cost you a little more cash as well.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
more snow:

the 450 he is using is the SX 450 race bike.....close ratio tranny with tons of over-rev power....the 500 you speak of is a slower reving wide ratio tranny bike that is only 55ish horsepower, but its really the tranny and quick revs that get the nod on the 450....that being said the 500 works really well and def IMO better in the summer.....(for woods riding)

Brock hit the nail on the head. The tranny is something almost everyone overlooks and I think it is one of the more important factors in your snowbike decisions. You want narrow gaps between gears so that you can rev out and hold that sustained pull when you pull up a gear. Nothing worse than shifting up and finding out your bike just doesn't have the nuts to pull into the top of the power curve and then you have to downshift, thus losing a lot of forward momentum.

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
500 AT ELEVATION

Last year I had the pleasure of riding a 500 xc-w stock except a FMF slip-on with LT kit in Cooke City for a couple days. I was amazed at how strong it was pulling at elevation. I was pulling chutes in 4th gear on the rev limiter......at 10000 feet. So dont think that a 500 KTM won't make a killer snow bike, especially for more open terrain where the shifting is at a minimum.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Last year I had the pleasure of riding a 500 xc-w stock except a FMF slip-on with LT kit in Cooke City for a couple days. I was amazed at how strong it was pulling at elevation. I was pulling chutes in 4th gear on the rev limiter......at 10000 feet. So dont think that a 500 KTM won't make a killer snow bike, especially for more open terrain where the shifting is at a minimum.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a wide ratio wouldn't work or make a good snowbike for someone, just in my experiences and the bikes I've ridden the close ratio bikes seems to be more nimble and quick on the revs.

Premium Features