• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is more always better? 141 vs 153

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Never rode a 141 with boost, or with out. Maybe one day someone will show up with one or I will make it over to ride with some. I think it might be shorter than I am, lol

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
This is getting good now. You have the guys with short tracks spending big $$ on turbos and light weight parts to keep up with stock sleds and longer tracks to prove how much "fun" they are having. I prefer to have a stock sled with a 174" "sally" track and keep up with turbo mod guys. Its way easier to tune a track than a turbo. I've never had to run race gas or adjust my #s for a my track. Hop on and go all day. Now every turbo guy will post " I just pull the rope and go on my turbo". The lucky guys that spend 60 days plus can afford to spend some time tweaking on there sleds that's great. But a few of us poor suckers get just a few precous days in heaven, and when I go, its time to ride. This guy gets one trip to the mountains, I vote for a little longer track, it does make it easier to get around.

As much as I like picking on you "sally" long track guys:face-icon-small-win... good points.

You may be able to "keep up"... but I'm having WAY more fun going the same places!!!!!!:becky::becky::becky::face-icon-small-ton

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Difference is when we disappear into the trees all you hear is braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! etc... on and on.... until we come back out wheelie'ing into the open and roll it into a down hill sidehill carving back down headed for more trees.

When the sally LT guys go in the trees you hear Braaaaaaaaaaaaaap. Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(trenching out)aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap...................................uhhhhhhhhhm, ............Could someone give me a hand I couldn't make it around this damm tree! I want my mommy.

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
Difference is when we disappear into the trees all you hear is braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! etc... on and on.... until we come back out wheelie'ing into the open and roll it into a down hill sidehill carving back down headed for more trees.

When the sally LT guys go in the trees you hear Braaaaaaaaaaaaaap. Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(trenching out)aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap...................................uhhhhhhhhhm, ............Could someone give me a hand I couldn't make it around this damm tree! I want my mommy.

That made me laugh,
I can only imagine what you think when us rookies come out

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
I take my "sally" long track in the trees all the time. Like I said I don't get out near enough anymore,so if its snowing so hard you can only see a few feet we ride in the trees all day. The snow is so deep and soft in the trees and my 174"x3" just floats along. So when you say these long tracks don't work in the trees I don't get it. I'm not saying your sleds aren't good in the trees, I'm just saying I've never had a problem. Maybe our trees aren't as close together as your trees.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
As much as I like picking on you "sally" long track guys:face-icon-small-win... good points.

You may be able to "keep up"... but I'm having WAY more fun going the same places!!!!!!:becky::becky::becky::face-icon-small-ton

I say BCIL is right (haven't seen that photo for a couple years:), but DO NOT TRY TO FOLLOW IN THE TRENCHES CREATED BY A 141" with an assload of power!!! It's insane, they should use them for tilling farmfields in the heartland!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I take my "sally" long track in the trees all the time. Like I said I don't get out near enough anymore,so if its snowing so hard you can only see a few feet we ride in the trees all day. The snow is so deep and soft in the trees and my 174"x3" just floats along. So when you say these long tracks don't work in the trees I don't get it. I'm not saying your sleds aren't good in the trees, I'm just saying I've never had a problem. Maybe our trees aren't as close together as your trees.

Put that baby on a 60* slope in tight trees on its side to the point you are going farther sideways then up, then pull a switchback and go the other direction, and most of the time there will come a time when you have to sidehill down hill around a few trees then try to gain back the elevations. Its the kind of riding that there is no turn out option and you have to be better at down hill handling than up, ie take a 174 going down hill on its side and wip it sideways while applying throttle so you can stand it up and make it over 12ft to drop down between the next 2 trees. Trees are like guard rails, traction and safety stops. It can be done on a long track its just more fun and entertaining on a shorter track. If I wanted to float everywhere I would get a enter-tube and go to the river, Borrrrrring.

I say BCIL is right (haven't seen that photo for a couple years:), but DO NOT TRY TO FOLLOW IN THE TRENCHES CREATED BY A 141" with an assload of power!!! It's insane, they should use them for tilling farmfields in the heartland!
One more place the kmod shines, goes through on over ruts and stays in control.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
So you don't like your sled to float? I prefer to drive without a periscope. Any way I will agree we disagree. Arguing who has more fun on their sled is just about the most pointless thing to do, must be summer.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
So you don't like your sled to float? I prefer to drive without a periscope. Any way I will agree we disagree. Arguing who has more fun on their sled is just about the most pointless thing to do, must be summer.

Floating is limited to terrain, and arguing about who has the most fun, what else are we going to do.

My dads sled is way more fun than your dads sled.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I have been going out west once a year the last few years, maybe twice a year in the near future.
The riders and machines have been improving each year. Currently I'll be riding with a 162 (1100T),154 (800) & 153 (800).
I now have the shortest sled in the group, 2010 Crossfire 800 LE.
I do install a 141 2.25 Powerclaw, ZBros 40" A-arms for our trips out west.
I don't want a 162 but got it in my head I should start looking for a 153
What do you think? Maybe I should just work more on improving my abilities (watch some videos?)

Since you appear to be installing it just for your trips, I suspect that the 141 is the longest you can put on without modifying the tunnel????

Applying the video techniques and the playing with the shorter track will help you learn to ride better. It'll work just fine. Have fun......there is always next year and a different plan:face-icon-small-win

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
This is getting good now. You have the guys with short tracks spending big $$ on turbos OR BIG BORES and light weight parts to WOMP ON stock sleds and longer tracks to prove how much "fun" they are having. I prefer to have a stock sled with a 174" "sally" track and keep up with turbo mod guys. Its way easier to tune a track than a turbo. I've never had to run race gas or adjust my #s for a my track. Hop on and go all day. Now every turbo guy will post " I just pull the rope and go on my turbo". The lucky guys that spend 60 days plus can afford to spend some time tweaking on there sleds that's great. But a few of us poor suckers get just a few precous days in heaven, and when I go, its time to ride. This guy gets one trip to the mountains, I vote for a little longer track, it does make it easier to get around.

Fixed it for ya!! :face-icon-small-ton

B
As a fellow Minnesotan who also rides out west here are my thoughts:

My dad and I went from 144" Firecats (with the stupid narrow track) to a 162" (for dad) and a 153" for me. The biggest difference is in the speed which you can approach things. With the shorter sleds you need to carry more speed so there is more WFO riding (which is a blast until you smack whatever it is you didn't see). Like someone else mentioned you get more of a fudge factor on the longer sleds.

On our latest sleds we both got 153"s and we still have a 136" Crossfire with a 2" track we use as a 'rental' sled.

That being said you should upgrade, I think I know a guy selling a sled you might like...:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-ton

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Bluebear - what is the 607 day thing at the bottom of your post? That is depressing. Maybe you have a trip planned but if that is how many days till winter the calculator is wrong. LOL

Don't forget - a longer track looks better on the trailer and in the parking lot.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Backcountry I don't belive you take me to all the places in them pics and prove me wrong.:face-icon-small-hap

B
Bluebear - what is the 607 day thing at the bottom of your post? That is depressing. Maybe you have a trip planned but if that is how many days till winter the calculator is wrong. LOL

Don't forget - a longer track looks better on the trailer and in the parking lot.

I'm not sure what the counter is all about lol. I'm not a premium member so I can't delete it, I think it was originally counting down for a trip two years ago. So now I guess its counting up since the last time I rode a sled. Man thats depressing. :face-icon-small-sad

Premium Features