• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

If you need a new Exhaust temp sensor, read this!!!

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
If everyone in this thread that bought a new sensor took the time to do a little testing over the next couple weeks we would have a much better idea. Any takers? You'd have to be willing to make it somewhat scientific, maybe a couple back to back long pulls on a lake and a mountain, and then some back to back on the throttle/off the throttle tight lines through the trees. It would still be a subjective seat of the pants test, but if all of us tried it and came back here sayin that our sleds definitely ran better with the sensor vs the resistor I'd quit running the resistors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

technofunseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Southwest Montana
I took my 2011 M8 in today for the ecu 17 code and they replaced the sensor. The first one they tried had the wrong plug on it and the second one didn't work either. I had read this post and told the dealer about it so they went to Carquest and bought one of the Chevy ones but it did not clear the code. I had 800 miles on when the code showed up.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I took my 2011 M8 in today for the ecu 17 code and they replaced the sensor. The first one they tried had the wrong plug on it and the second one didn't work either. I had read this post and told the dealer about it so they went to Carquest and bought one of the Chevy ones but it did not clear the code. I had 800 miles on when the code showed up.
If it is not the prob, it is most likely the harness or ECU. I would suspect a wire has rubbed through and grounding on something.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
recreational supply in saskatoon,sk has new sensors for $55. i know they arent as cheap as the $25 chevy ones on ebay but i just thought i would throw that out there. way better than the $140 cat charges.

technofunseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Southwest Montana
Time for a recall!

Why doesn't cat recall these. I think everyone I have talked to has had a problem with the sensors on the 2011s. The dealers can't seem to come up wiith a fix and one dealer I talked to said he is just shorting them out to make the computer look like the sensor is in there. There must be a reason for it so they should make it work right.

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
Well I snagged a couple of these sensors off of ebay, looks like they are used factory takeout's. GM had a recall on these and swapped them out, I'm betting the ones being sold off of ebay are takeouts off of brand new trucks on the lot. Mine have a small amount off soot inside one, antiseize on the threads, and appear like they were tightened at once.

M

m7ryder

Sep 26, 2009
for what its worth

i have a big bore in my 09 m8, i have just been running it with the stock pipe but got a d and d pipe and y pipe for it. For what ever reason the bung for the pipe temp sensor forgot to get welded in. So i installed a resistor (500 ohms (+- 800F) and eliminated the sensor.

Well, i took it riding and let the engine warm up really good, once i left the parking lot i noticed that it was not running right, it was too rich. long story short i had to drop about 10 numbers on my boon docker box on the top end to get it to run like it did with the stock pipe and sensor. Also had to lean out the mid range

I doubt thats normal having to take away fuel when you add a pipe and y pipe :face-icon-small-con.

I will be welding in a nut 14-1.5mm thread for those wondering lol, and reinstalling my pipe temp sensor. From my experiences so far it is benefitial to run it. I will post my results once i run it with the sensor installed.

Maybe I just didnt have the right ohms??? ECU still adding fuel???

Last edited:

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Does anybody know what the resistance of the wires on the frame side of the plug should be. My Black wire pin A "rings" to ground 0 ohms, and the white wire is showing 958 ohms when checked with the black wire or to ground on the continuity setting.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Sticky vote yes.

Without reading 76 posts, can someone verfiy if, instead of cut/splice, if you can remove the wire pins (which go into the connector) with a pick or something and just plug in the new wires and then you're good to go? Pics would be great too if you have them. Thanks.

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Would anybody be interested in me buying a bunch of these and changing the connectors or pins in them? So they can be inserted into your old connector. That way you wouldn't have to cut any wiring.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Would anybody be interested in me buying a bunch of these and changing the connectors or pins in them? So they can be inserted into your old connector. That way you wouldn't have to cut any wiring.

Right now I am more interested in the girl in your picture! Yowzaaa.......

Premium Features