• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MDS weights

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I`m a believer after 3 days.

IMHO the best dollar any one who cares about performance on a Diamond Drive sled can spend.

Steve deserves Nobel prize for customer service and a big thanks for his design that makes clutching an M sled easy as pie.

I wish I could have had these 7 sleds ago. Oh well, I`ll put 50 or 60lbs. of clutch stuff into a cardboard box marked AC today, and put them up on the shelf beside the Doo and Yam boxes.

Geo

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Well said geo. I have been there and done that. You can't lose on these weights and if you don't like them Ill take em back and put them in my sled!

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
I have been trying to inform people on these weights since I bought my first set last year. These weights work excellent. I have bought three sets and am not playing with clutching. I am Riding instead of messing with the tightnest of my secondary spring or do I need a different helix. Lets Ride.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Good to here, tell us more, like less belt heat, more track speed, smoother shift. If you would. Lots of people asking about these lately. What sled did you run them in and what springs and helix. If you would.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Geo
Is the torsion secondary part of the 60# bag of parts?

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
what is the optimal rpm for a bone stock 2010 m8 to be running at? Did you run the same rpm with the stock cat weights?

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
My 2010 is running 8050 to 8100 with stock secondary at 10,000'. have not paid attention to track speed. I use my *** dyno and it says there is a gain. Will try to look at track speed. Just to much fun to just ride.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Have you guys found the stock secondary with the stock 36 degree helix works the best with these weights?

I'm curious if any of you have tried the weights with a multiangle helix or alternative secondary springs?

How about using the weights with a torsional secondary?

How do they compare to the SLP MTX weights?

Mntryder

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2002
Western Colorado
I have used the weights with a 40/36 radius cut helix, compression spring (Cat orange)secondary,along with a 38/34 progressive torsional spring ( purple D&D ) secondary.

Sled pulled hard and hit target RPM's with both secondary set-ups.

Need more testing with the torsional as I only got 40 miles, but seemed to work fine.

09 M8 with SLP pipe and porting. Riding at 10000ft. MDS weights set at 76.5 grams

Last edited:
R

rocketball

Sep 28, 2010
I have searched and re read every thread I could find online about the MDS weights. I cant recall anyone ever saying anything negative about them. I called Steve a few days back and between his willingness to answer any questions I had, and the great feedback I was seeing online I decided to ordered a set for my 09 crossfire with Full SLP pipe. I'll be able to take my first ride with the MDS weights sunday and see what you guys are talking about all for myself.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I just got the shipment in from Steve today.....shipping was really quick from Washington to the midwest.

Anyway, I emailed Steve a couple of times and then HE scheduled a time to give me a call later in the evening. I must say Steve took a lot of time to answer my questions and run through what I was trying to accomplish. This is the type of customer service this industry needs, at no time did I ever feel rushed or even pressured to buy the weights during our conversation.
When I recieved the weights today they were packaged very well, had nice detailed install instructions, and had hand written notes on our conversation along with a setup for me to try when I go out west. I cant wait to get these weights in my sled, and I will certainly report on the results....overall I have been very impressed with MDS's customer service and hope that more companies in the snowmobile industry follow suite.

John

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
FYI, for those who are wondering about these weights, The Whole point of MDS weights are to improve clutching, ie - Less heat better shift and more track speed, they where also designed specifically to use stock clutching other than the weights themselves. Thus no need for special springs and helix's etc... Just weights with big improvements. There may be things to add/chagne to make it better for your riding style. But with just the weights it is guarantied that you will like them better than stock. I did.

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
MDS Weights...

I as well ordered a set...but will see how they are going to work with Kelsey's clutch set up. I will report back my results when I get them. Gotta love that money back guarantee:face-icon-small-coo

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just remember they where not designed for a torsional setup, but I'm sure you could get it to work, I would still have to try the setup Steve says to try just to know if I was missing anything. Like I said before these weights fix all the clutching problems.

PowerJoe

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Spent last night reading all of the posts I could find and didn't see anyone report an actual gain in track speed. I am looking for a few people to report that they have seen 1 mph, 2 mph, 5 mph.. etc.

I am believing the hype and sent them an email last night but I have done so many other mods to my sled that people said were a "hugh" or "noticable" difference and have been disapointed. Again, my main goal is to increase track speed. I don't care if it feels faster, I want it to be faster.

R

rocketball

Sep 28, 2010
I think the guys that are still running a stock clutch setup and then adding the MDS weights are the ones that will notice the largest gain. I am a prime example....my clutching is still stock and I am just looking for a setup that will increase the backshift and response of my sled. Of course i could have accomplished that by messing with springs, helix angles etc but from what it sounds like the MDS weights will give me the same result without changing all the other stuff.

Cant wait to get some ride time with these weights this week and see for myself!!!

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
For three days I went back to back changes (tortional and compression) with these weights (took a stock loaner clutch with me) and changed the tortional each day to my best guess ( and I have everything LOL). Changed the weight location and primary springs on the hill.

I burned almost a tank of fuel a day in 5hrs per section. In the end, why bother. Stock secondary and balance the weight to your need (depends on the engagament you chose and finish rate, these weights worked with any primary spring I tried after simply doing the math for rpm. 1 gr equals approx. 100 rpm, just as it should be).

I.ve got a good tune set-up for my tortional. the MDS weights made it better, but the sheave temps were still hotter than the belt. with the stock secondary i was finally able to make the belt hotter than the sheaves ( not hot to touch, just warmer). If your sheaves are hotter then you are slipping, if your belt is hotter it is finally gripping. Anything doing the work of the belt and clutches has to warm up. It's physics.

Performance wise, it,s felt in the pants and seen on the speedo. Talking track speed is smack. Different hills, elevation, type of snow, rider weight, when you look, bla bla bla. It means nothing unless you are comparing to you. Apples to apples. So I won't go there.

I will say IMHO, if you install these weights and get the weight balance right for your pick of primary spring (won't take a day, or just listen to Steve), with out a set of lights, computer data logging and a factory crew behind you, you won't get a big enough improvement to make worrying about it worth it.

Geo

Premium Features