• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is more always better? 141 vs 153

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
If you ride alot of deep deep snow and after that highmark or stay in the trees alot longer is always better a sled with a 141 will never perform better then a 153 in powder both with same HP weight all else equal ect ect you dont have to be a rocket scientist to understand that.

A shorter track is better if your a jumper or freestyle type rider, track speed is only a measurement of HP and traction. You want to put the power down to the ground you need more rubber on the ground and suspension work just like the hotrodders have been doing for years. For my style of rideing i prefer a 174 i would have a 174 on a 440 if i had a 440, just because i dont have 60mph track speed dosnt mean its not carring alot of ground speed thats what you should truely be worried about only way get that hill climbing is more power or more track and of course clutching. If your after more speed a shorter track taller gearing and of course clutching.

People dont relize how much there is to be gained in clutching i never did untill last year clutch kits can only do so much as they gotta work for a number of different varibles

Horrible post by the way:second:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If you ride alot of deep deep snow and after that highmark or stay in the trees alot longer is always better a sled with a 141 will never perform better then a 153 in powder both with same HP weight all else equal ect ect you dont have to be a rocket scientist to understand that.

A shorter track is better if your a jumper or freestyle type rider, track speed is only a measurement of HP and traction. You want to put the power down to the ground you need more rubber on the ground and suspension work just like the hotrodders have been doing for years. For my style of rideing i prefer a 174 i would have a 174 on a 440 if i had a 440, just because i dont have 60mph track speed dosnt mean its not carring alot of ground speed thats what you should truely be worried about only way get that hill climbing is more power or more track and of course clutching.OR SKILL If your after more speed a shorter track taller gearing and of course clutching.

People dont relize how much there is to be gained in clutching i never did untill last year clutch kits can only do so much as they gotta work for a number of different varibles

Horrible post by the way:second:

get what your friends have, unless your a better rider

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
do you tell your kids that drugs are good for you ? lol you guys can think what you want but a shorter track will never compare to a longer track in deep snow never its just not as much rubber on the snow to grab, now if you want to argue handleing thats a no brainer a 141 or short track of some sort.

Are you going to convince john force that he will run a 2sec quarter mile if he switchs to a 10in wide slick its the very same concept.

also i cant ride worth a damn my 174 makes it up for me:heart: it so much more fun to stop look where i want to go and make a good choice and be able to start again but then again we are all better then burandt nowadays

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
do you tell your kids that drugs are good for you ? lol you guys can think what you want but a shorter track will never compare to a longer track in deep snow never its just not as much rubber on the snow to grab, now if you want to argue handleing thats a no brainer a 141 or short track of some sort.

Are you going to convince john force that he will run a 2sec quarter mile if he switchs to a 10in wide slick its the very same concept.

also i cant ride worth a damn my 174 makes it up for me:heart: it so much more fun to stop look where i want to go and make a good choice and be able to start again but then again we are all better then burandt nowadays

Your trying to talk cars in a different world, if we where drag racing straight up a hill you might have something if there was always deep pow. If you put to big of tire on some cars it will actually loose traction faster, there more to it than bigger is better.
Like you said, you may not be the best rider and the 174 works for you, good. If you have read the thread you can see no one is disputing the fact the longer floats farther when going straight up in deep snow. The only time in the last 2 years I have climbed a hill straight up or get to the top was from being board or to ride a long a$$ wheelie, just not my style.

Who is burandt?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Only COCO knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFDUOfRXP_k&feature=related

ice-t-and-coco.jpg

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Only good riders can handle a short track :boxing:

That must be why you ride a 162 right? Haha :yo:

Shorter tracks are great if you like to jump and drop. Obviously the longer tracks do better in deep snow. Like others have stated, you need to decide what type of rider you are and how you intend to use your sled. If I were you and it had a 141 on it, I would just leave it. If you are changing things either way, Id go 153. Its short enough to jump and ride aggressively in the trees and its still somewhat proficient on the deep days. Good luck.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
ok... now this thread is screwed.... SHA is posting, as if it hadn't gone downhill enough... :face-icon-small-sho

As for short tracks... you can say what you want, but it's MUCH less of a factor than people think.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
That must be why you ride a 162 right? Haha :yo:

Shorter tracks are great if you like to jump and drop.

I finally got a 153 and thought I wanted a 162 until I changed it, I don't drop much and don't catch big air either, you can use any of them the way you want if you know how to ride it.

This thread was screwed long ago.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
I finally got a 153 and thought I wanted a 162 until I changed it, I don't drop much and don't catch big air either, you can use any of them the way you want if you know how to ride it.

This thread was screwed long ago.

Oh, I know man. Im just talkin trash to kill time before the snow flies like everyone else...:devil:

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
TTT

We just cut down a Challenger 141", and an older Camoplast OEM Polaris RMK 136" to upgrade a 121", and a strait replacement of a 136" for two 503 fan Snow Hawks.

In this case the end result will be a weight loss, once we weighed an original Hawk 121" curved track against a 144" ported Challenger, the 121 was ELEVEN pounds heavier. Being intended for back East high speed hard icy trails/roads and able to accept screwed in spikes or adding cleats it has to be built heavy duty like. When your tired of running that same old dessert tire in the softer conditions, it's time to make a change for the better.

The Challenger 2" is available in 121/136 but in this case, longer might be mo better!:boxing:

D
Oct 12, 2009
Indianapolis
Well Ive reached the limit of my free basic membership so I may never get my answer.?
What is the actual difference in track length on the ground between a 141 and 153?
Ill hang up and listen to your answer!

Premium Features