• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MM Skis - SLP PP's? Simmons? Other??

bronc67

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Southeastern Idaho
Ok guys. I need your knowledge. My only upgrade this year (great economy, huh?) will be skis for the 1999 Mountain Max. I currently have RX-1 skis on it and they aren't treating me right.

151" track
Elkholm Tunnel
SLP pipes
V-force Reeds
Extroverts

It seems that most MM riders go with either the SLP Powder Pros or Simmons. Give me your fountain of knowledge and opinions. I would like to weigh my options carefully before writing to Santa Claus.

Thanks!

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
I had the Simmons on mine. They were good, but I sold them becasue they cost me 3 trailing arms. The 4 carbides that they have always catch on rocks and stumps. Simmons are a good ski, but for my use. I will never run them again.

I went with Mountain Apex skis. They work great. And can be found in swapmeet for a good price. And with the stock Mountain Apex skis, you can adjust you ski stance with them to.( I set them to them middle and never moved them) As they have the spacers inbeween the ski mount and the spindle.

They work great in the poweder, and on the trail/harder snow.

Last edited:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
The mtn apex ski is very similar to the powder pro. I had the powder pros on my 2003 Rx1-m and they were great for floatation and carving, but were a royal pain on hardpack (would always catch an edge).

Simmons work great on MMs, but if cost is a big deal, you may want to go with MM700's advice and pick up a set of Apex take offs.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
USI 301 series. Float well, hold a line, and can be found cheap in the swap meet. You can use the stock mounts from your sled and not lose any frontend height.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I have and love my Simmons Skies. Endless color options and easy to put on new sled.

I look at it this way. A boat in water has a "V" shaped haul. A ski is "V" shaped with the skag at the very bottom. The "V" shape pushes the snow out form under the ski. A Simmons ski is a upside down "U" so it holds the snow under the ski which allows the ski to get up on top of the snow.

On a side note: I replaced all (4) of my carbide skags with hardened 3/8" rod from Home Depot. Welded a couple bolts to it and I have skags. By doing this I eliminated the carbides. (Honestly how does a 1/8" carbide help in 2" or more snow. On ice yes but even a groomed trail there is no advantage.) This saves the floor in my enclosed trailer as well.

bronc67

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Southeastern Idaho
Thanks for the info. I have ridden a MM almost identical to mine that has Simmons skis. I like them but wondered what the difference is between the Powder Pros and the Simmons. It sounds like the "V" vs. "U" design is the main difference.

bronc67

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Southeastern Idaho
If you decide to go to the newer style Yamaha mountain ski all you need to buy is the bottoms and use the handles and carbides off the RX1 skis that you have now. The bottoms through Yamaha only cost about $80 each.http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx

Thanks for the advice. Just a couple of questions: Are the new stock Yamaha skis all the same? Are the Nytros different than the Apex Skis? Are there "mountain" skis vs. flatland skis? Is there a certain year range I should be looking for? Are there some that are lighter than others?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the advice. Just a couple of questions: Are the new stock Yamaha skis all the same? Are the Nytros different than the Apex Skis? Are there "mountain" skis vs. flatland skis? Is there a certain year range I should be looking for? Are there some that are lighter than others?

Yep there is a Mountain, and a trail ski.
Not 100% but I think the Apex MOUNTAIN and the Nytro MOUNTAIN aswell as the 2005 Mountain Viper are all the same ski.

If you go look or pull up a pic of the Mountain Ski vs the trail ski you we see the difference. And will know what to look for.

bronc67

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Southeastern Idaho
It would appear from the design, that the Powder Pros are built more to cut into the snow where the Simmons are designed to keep you afloat - has anyone used both on the same machine and seen a difference? It seems that ski pressure and approach angle would also play into the formula...

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
It would appear from the design, that the Powder Pros are built more to cut into the snow where the Simmons are designed to keep you afloat - has anyone used both on the same machine and seen a difference? It seems that ski pressure and approach angle would also play into the formula...

Yes, I have used both on the same machine. (MM700159) The Simmons may have a slight edge in the flotation depatment but thats the only advantage they may have.
The Powder Pro's and Yamaha Mountain ski's really shine when coming downhill then turning to head back uphill. They bite in and get your sled to turn where the Simmons will push or wash out. Also on flat groung my turning radius was definatly tighter with the Powder Pro's.
The only compaint you may have with the Powder Pro's is sometime they bite in too much and create a heavy steering feel but I would take too much bite over not enough bite anyday. If you have the RX-1 skis already than your halfway there. Get the Mountain bottoms with the spacers, bolts and collars.You can use your runners off you old skis.

Y

Yamahamod

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jun 8, 2008
In my Bunker
www.facebook.com
Just put a pair of stock Nytro mtx or Apex mtn skies on there and save your money. Good lord. If you want any ski to work well just make sure the tips are towed out about a inch on both sides and your good to go.
Got questions just pm me.

Premium Features