• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightest possible moto-x helmet ideas?

T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
I need a new helmet. I have some protruding discs in my cervical spine and the trusty old HJC from about 10 years ago is too much for my neck to tolerate.

I don't care what it looks like, I want light. As light as possible.

I've looked at the Carbon HJC which is 3.1 or 3.4 pounds depending on who you quote.

I've looked into Fly and into the Shoei V-MT (which comes in a nice firey blue)

Like I said though, what I would go for is whatever weighs the least. Period.

Thanks!

F
Dec 4, 2007
Abbotsford
Have you looked into getting one of those collars that the racing guys wear instead. a lot cheaper then a new helmet and you should probably have one while riding anyways with any kind of damage to your neck.

T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
Gimme more

I am not familiar at all with what you speak, although I am totally interested in the concept.

I will do anything to ride, even a little, even if my Dr. says I'm done this year, I'll wait until next year.

But please fill me in more on these collars.

I'm still interested in lighter helmets. I know it'll help too. Less whiplash action and extra compressive force.

Tnx

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
I have an open face MX style Fulmer that is SUPER light. It's the lightest DOT and SNELL helmet I could find. It's black/yellow with crazy skulls on it. It's much lighter than my other two Shoei MX helmets. Not sure of the model name. Sorry. I got it on sale for $89.00 smackers a few years back.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
If all you ride is powder and slow trail riding..check out the bike stores for BMX or jetski helmets..they are way lighter then motocross /snowmachine..but less protection for high speed stuff...

E
Nov 26, 2007
I.F.
..It ain't the spendiest brand, but I have G-Max that is extremely light..
I don't belive on skimping with gear, but this helmet has all the certs. & approvals of the big name expensive brands & BOY is it comfy!

Last edited:

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
I just ported my fox helmet. 2" hole saw with about 10-12 holes. Extremely light and good venting

T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
Good thought

If all you ride is powder and slow trail riding..check out the bike stores for BMX or jetski helmets..they are way lighter then motocross /snowmachine..but less protection for high speed stuff...

Yeah, all I try to ride around here is pow, so a BMX helmet might be just the ticket. I'm more worried about my face smashing into the handlebars than anything else.

I will roll without the lid if it makes a difference, as having numb hands SUCKS and I'm pretty sure the extra weight I've been carrying around on my head/neck sucks.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
google bmx helmets..troy lee designs makes one that is less then 2.5 pds..and real nice looking

djm

Lifetime Membership
I need a new helmet. I have some protruding discs in my cervical spine and the trusty old HJC from about 10 years ago is too much for my neck to tolerate.

I don't care what it looks like, I want light. As light as possible.

I've looked at the Carbon HJC which is 3.1 or 3.4 pounds depending on who you quote.

I've looked into Fly and into the Shoei V-MT (which comes in a nice firey blue)

Like I said though, what I would go for is whatever weighs the least. Period.

Thanks!

You almost have to get a 2004 helmet as the new snell and Dot standards in 2005 added weight to all of the helmets.

If you can find a new order MR2 Revelation X helmet they were 1275 grams as I recall, which is about as light as you can get an MX helmet for. The HJC AX1 from back then was about the same weight.. X2 and the currrent X3's are heavier..to meet the new standards.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Longmont,CO
helmet

my neck is trashed out also....I use a Soloman CrossMax full face ski racing helmet, weighs about 1 lb and provides plenty of protection for boondocking/deep powder riding where average speeds are 10 to maybe 25 mph, for higher speeds you should stick to a conventional type but this works fine for my style of riding and it's much easier to move around without a heavy helmet....it's an acceptable compromise.

T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
Giro Carbon lookin' good

i have a giro snowboard helmet, its about 34 ounces and has some insulation so that isnt cold but its warmer than the bmx helmets

Yeah, I'm looking at the Giro Remedy S Carbon which weighs 32 oz (907g). Nobody seems to be selling them at a discount online so I may as well go shop locally so I can try them on and pick up one today, although I won't be riding for a week so I guess I'll keep doing research.

I don't go balls out racing or anything so a snowboard helmet is fine, heck I usually wear my half head snowboard helmet when I lend out my current (retiring) moto helmet to my dad when he comes out, so what's the difference...

Nice to see so many opinions as it has helped me to think outside the box on this one...

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
harder helmets vs. Softer??? which is better???

pretty much everyone in our group has gone to Giro ski/downhill mountain bike full face helmets

only major problem with these BMX/Mtn Bike helmetsfor slower speeds... is that they dont have the crush strength strength...thing playing in some whoops and the sled rolls over on you...some how your head is under runing board/handlebar...etc. have two friends that had this happen to them...cracked the helmets in half (and yes they were full face MX helmets so were significantly stronger...they will tell you BMX/Mtn bikes are not the way to do...

there is a really good article about helmets and how Snell and DOT are nota ll their are cracked up to be either...principle is you have a hard shell protecting soft tissue...i.e. the damage typically caused to teh brain is from smashing into the skull...so they are trying to play with different matierials that soften the slam....really interesting article...cannot remember where I got it...will post it if I can find it..

T
Dec 20, 2007
Minturn, CO
It's all a risk...

I know that the snowboarding helmets are not designed to support a 600# machine but as numb as my hands are now, I'd ride without a helmet at all, just to be able to get out there.

I know I already aggravated my cervical discs this year (hand numbness) so I am willing to take a calculated risk of the snowmobile winding up on my head (not terribly likely but possible) vs. the risk of my face slamming into the handlebars with the giro protecting my jaw (much higher, happens on the nytro, engine braking) vs. the risk I take by not wearing a helmet at all.

I've already been hurt, I'm trying to minimize the effects of the previous injury. I'm definitely getting one of those Bell racing collars.

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH freaking spine injury...

Last edited:
Premium Features