• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arcticwear gore-tex gear

M
Dec 17, 2007
I am looking at a 2007 gore-tex mountain jacket shell.... can purchase for considerably less than Klim. Can anyone tell me if Arctic Cat gore-tex is quality stuff?

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I have wore Arctic Cat gear (Gore-Tex and A-Tex) for years adn will wear nothing else. I have NEVER been cold or wet. I live in Colorado where Winters are long and cold, ride also in the blowing cold and snow of Wyoming (both the Snowies and Togwotee) without one issue.

I am not saying that other brands aren't good BUT I am saying they may only be equal at best. No one, in my opinion is better. This judgement comes from wearing North Face, Columbia, Spyder, and Mountain Hardware.

Arctic Cat clothing is high quality, tough, gear. Add in the price point they sell at, and I think most will agree, it is pretty tough to beat.

Klim is quality gear, as many of my friends and family wear it, but it is not better gear and it is damn expensive.

My...................$.02.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado
I too have used several brand names for sledding clothing and have come to realize that Arctic Cats 'Gore Tex' clothing is top notch. I also live in Colorado and spend every weekend riding. I have never been cold or wet using my cat bibs and jacket. I would recommend the Arctic Cat Gore Tex to anyone looking for riding gear, I would not buy anything else. Good luck in your decision.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Gore tex is a copyright name. Only 1 company makes gore tex. It is how the garment is put together that makes the difference. The membrain is the same.

M
Nov 27, 2007
You will not be disappointed with Arctic Cat Gore-Tex. 2007 is the last year they made gore-tex jackets. Looks like they are going exclusively to a-tex. Good luck trying to find 07 in stock. Not sure what size or color you are looking for but I had a heck of a time trying to find a black XL. Haven't had any luck finding the bibs.

Try eBay & eBay stores, catdeals.com, catbargains.com or arcticcatdiscount.com. Miller Marine in St. Cloud, MN had a bunch last time I was there for $185. They are jerks and I doubt they would ship it to you at that price if asked them too.

Good Luck.

G

GONRIDIN

I happen to know a Gore rep. It is true that there is only one company that makes a true waterproof fabric. They licence the product to a few companies that have to stick to strick production and quality requirments. I can tell you that NOT ONE of the OEM's use Gore-tex any more. The reason is that they all had there licences pulled for quality issues. The reason Cat is using A-Tex is because they have to, not because they chose to.

I dont think Cat was using the top level Gore-tex, which is XCR. They were using the base Gore-Tex. In comparison, Klim is using the XCR fabric.

Cat Has had the best OEM manufactured gear for years, or at least untill last year. I have worn both Cat and Klim. I still think the Klim gear is better. They just think through the little things. Those little things cost money and so does the XCR fabric compared to the base fabric. I feel it is worth the extra money for the Klim. However, if you can get a good deal on some Cat Gore-Tex, Take it.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
I have had good luck with Cat gear over the years. Any gore-tex product has to meet gore's quality guidelines, so you are pretty safe. I still think Klim is better and that is what I have. Mostly due to design issues and fitting. The cat stuff is a good value and fine for most people. I am just really really picky.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i have two arctic cat goretex parkas and two sets of bibs, i have one klim parka and two sets of klim bibs.....i consider the cat clothing to be a bit better than the klims.....the material that is on the outside wears better, the klim bibs started leaking at the end of the second year of use, the cat bibs didn't leak until the end of the sixth year....i like the fit of the cats clothing to be more to my liking....i also have polaris bibs and parka and find them to be good also, but i don't wear them as much

D
Nov 26, 2007
I happen to know a Gore rep. It is true that there is only one company that makes a true waterproof fabric. They licence the product to a few companies that have to stick to strick production and quality requirments. I can tell you that NOT ONE of the OEM's use Gore-tex any more. The reason is that they all had there licences pulled for quality issues. The reason Cat is using A-Tex is because they have to, not because they chose to.

I dont think Cat was using the top level Gore-tex, which is XCR. They were using the base Gore-Tex. In comparison, Klim is using the XCR fabric.

Cat Has had the best OEM manufactured gear for years, or at least untill last year. I have worn both Cat and Klim. I still think the Klim gear is better. They just think through the little things. Those little things cost money and so does the XCR fabric compared to the base fabric. I feel it is worth the extra money for the Klim. However, if you can get a good deal on some Cat Gore-Tex, Take it.

If Cat was forced to stop using Gore-tex, I doubt that it was a quality issue. They sold both Gore-tex and A-tex for several years, in the same time span, but the A-tex was cheaper. I would bet that Gore-tex told them to stop selling the imitation, or they wouldn't sell them Gore-tex anymore. I own both Gore-tex and A-tex, in both jackets and gloves from Cat (also have mil issue Gore-tex from head-to-toe), and I haven't been able to tell a difference. Will the A-tex last as long as the Gore-tex does? I don't know....only time will tell.

Klim makes nice stuff, but most of their jackets are not available in tall sizes, so they are not even an option for some of us.

Premium Features