• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TrailsWest / Charmac / Mirage / Wells Cargo

Cmpdman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2009
Utah & Texas
I'm looking for suggestions on a 4 place 28 ft enclosed trailer. I live in Logan ut so a close dealer is always a plus. Wants/Needs: ducted heater 40k btu, door, 4 fuel doors. The trailer is used for toys (sleds/four wheelers) and of course, helping neighbors move. The last trailer I had was a Pace. Have you guys used a heater with ducting for boot warmers,etc? How well does it work? Windows in the trailer? Aluminum versus steel? Is it best to search inventory or have a custom build? Floor surface, ice buildup, how slippery?

Thanks,
I'm looking forward to some feedback.

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
I know they are more money but I would seriously consider an all aluminum trailer. Here in Idaho where they use so much salt and chemicals on the road the steel is rusting out in no time. Have a friend who has a steel trailer for work and after just 2 years he is having serious rust problems. I have been pulling an Aluma for 2 years now and the underside and all hinges still look good.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
this is my trailswest after picking it up from the factory 20 days prior. took it back to the factory and they took over a month to fix it. told me it was done then i drove to get it and it wasnt, wasted a bunch of time and $$$$.

now i have a charmac and LOVE it.

sure a featherlite would be cool but i priced one out spec'd the same as my charmac and it was 35k, charmac was 21k. the charmac is available in aluminum for around 5k more, just didnt have the $$ to do it

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thats just surface rust.
I seriously doubt it will have any real long term impact on the trailer.

If that is the sort of thing that SERIOUSLY concerns you, then you will have to coat/treat the underside of your trailer as soon as you pick it up.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm looking for suggestions on a 4 place 28 ft enclosed trailer. I live in Logan ut so a close dealer is always a plus. Wants/Needs: ducted heater 40k btu, door, 4 fuel doors. The trailer is used for toys (sleds/four wheelers) and of course, helping neighbors move. The last trailer I had was a Pace. Have you guys used a heater with ducting for boot warmers,etc? How well does it work? Windows in the trailer? Aluminum versus steel? Is it best to search inventory or have a custom build? Floor surface, ice buildup, how slippery?

Thanks,
I'm looking forward to some feedback.

Last year I ran a huge thread about building the perfect trailer.
TONS of comments and suggestions from other SnoWest Members.
I would strongly encourage you to spend an hour reading that before you plunk down any of your hard earned money on a new trailer.

As for ME, I was SUPER HAPPY with my new Mirage.
Enough so that I am ordering a 2nd one as we speak.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
That one spot where it's rusted through is literally impossible in 20 days. Do you think they re-used an old frame or something??

i was blown away. it looks like they took rusty steel, didnt prep it (at all), then half *** spray it.

Thats just surface rust.
I seriously doubt it will have any real long term impact on the trailer.

If that is the sort of thing that SERIOUSLY concerns you, then you will have to coat/treat the underside of your trailer as soon as you pick it up.

yes its surface, but ultimately it could lead to structural issues. trailswest sales video shows the great lengths they go through to prep their frames that it is shocking to see it have corrosion so quicktly

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
i was blown away. it looks like they took rusty steel, didnt prep it (at all), then half *** spray it.

yes its surface, but ultimately it could lead to structural issues. trailswest sales video shows the great lengths they go through to prep their frames that it is shocking to see it have corrosion so quicktly
You are right, it COULD down the road.
But even prepping the steel before welding is NOT going to protect it after the first winter pull.

Unless you get under your trailer and REALLY SEAL up all of the undercarriage against road Grime/Salt it IS going to Rust. And if it is Aluminum, it IS going to Corrode.

The real question is this.
How many years will it take before it becomes an issue.??

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
A friend has had two trails west burandt editions. One was new in the fall of 12 and one new last fall. Neither if the trailers has any spot of rust on the entire trailer. Trails west is a first class operation and uses top quality materials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
You are right, it COULD down the road.
But even prepping the steel before welding is NOT going to protect it after the first winter pull.

Unless you get under your trailer and REALLY SEAL up all of the undercarriage against road Grime/Salt it IS going to Rust. And if it is Aluminum, it IS going to Corrode.

The real question is this.
How many years will it take before it becomes an issue.??

What? Unless I'm missing something you never treat metal BEFORE you weld but seal, paint coat after the welding is done. I could be wrong as I have only been in this industry for 16 years but if steel (or aluminum) is coated before welding then the coating is usually removed in the welded area and then re coated after.

And I have to agree with the others that if I went in to pick up a new trailer and it has rust on it I would leave it on the lot and find another. Any visible rust (weather surface or structural) is a sign that something is wrong on a new trailer. Bad coatings, lack of detail in finishing, sitting on a lot for longer then stated and I'm sure there are others.

Also it's not a COULD. Rust WILL lead to structural issues down the line. Sure the time frame can very depending on a ton of conditions but rust never goes away on its own. it continues to eat at the metal until there is no metal left.

But this matters more to some people then others. Some are fine with rust showing and some will not tolerate any at all. I guess a personal preference in a way.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
this is my trailswest after picking it up from the factory 20 days prior. took it back to the factory and they took over a month to fix it. told me it was done then i drove to get it and it wasnt, wasted a bunch of time and $$$$.

now i have a charmac and LOVE it.

sure a featherlite would be cool but i priced one out spec'd the same as my charmac and it was 35k, charmac was 21k. the charmac is available in aluminum for around 5k more, just didnt have the $$ to do it

So what was the outcome with Trails West and the trailer? what did it look like after they fixed it? Did they buy it back or did you just sell it?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
So what was the outcome with Trails West and the trailer? what did it look like after they fixed it? Did they buy it back or did you just sell it?

here are some notes. Short story: i wasted a day of driving, hundreds in fuel and they didnt fix it. i asked them to buy it back and they refused. they reluctantly fixed it. didnt offer anything extra for their error.

-My Picture links werent working so i removed them. The pictures are the ones posted above-

my experience with TW was HORRIBLE... so much i just sold it after buying it new in january.

preface: i had a mirage on order then found this video online at night, canceled my order and ordered a TW that next day. i was SOLD on the prepped,prime,paint process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug5K8tNFKb0
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ug5K8tNFKb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

picked it up 1/4/2013 in preston fresh off the line.. trailer pulls very well. it was extremely cold (-9) out so there was no water, salt, ice melt on the road. two week later i was installing etrack on the floor and was crawling under the trailer and found a TON of rust. some it of was obviously from lack of primer/paint but there was also a lot on the main rails coming up through the paint. i immediately took pictures and sent them to my dealer (Matt at Steer-in trailers who is AWESOME to deal with). Keep in mind these pics are two weeks from being built being driven on dry roads.

they said bring it to the factory to get fixed, because i bought it from montana and i'm in idaho so Preston was closer but its still 300 miles away. this summer my cousin got really sick and was in the hospital in Utah. i dropped the trailer off at the factory on the way down and met the production manager and sales manager to show them the rust, which had gotten a lot worse. they tried to act like it was normal, then they said that it was light surface rust, then they told me it was galvanized metal. if you watch the video on youtube (above) about their production process; it is VERY apparent that the bottom frame is not galvanized. To add to that i am a mechanical engineer that grew up in a sheetmetal shop and have worked in a sheetmetal shop for 7 years .... he wasnt fooling me. i was also worried that i got a "friday afternoon paint job". Shane and the production manager literally laughed at me for implying such a thing. the exterior paint job is VERY VERY rough, orange peel. hard to capture in person but ive have (2) different strangers checking out the trailer up snowmobiling and they mentioned something about it so i dont think its me being too picky. hard to capture in with a camera but it you look at the lights you can see it.

If everything else was perfect with the trailer i would have been 100% ok with this but with the rust it was frustrating.

they reluctantly said that they will sand it and spot fix the paint. i left it with them for 5 weeks to perform the repairs. they again almost laughed at me about the orange peel and were almost refusing to even look at it closely but i forced the issue. they made fun of me for expecting an automotive paint job. im not expecting that, but this was pretty rough. i called after 4 weeks to confirm it would be done, then the day that i was heading down both times being told that it was fixed. work got busy and i had to leave work later than planned so i was going to be there after 5. i called shane (the sales manager) and asked if there was an aftermarket number to call in case i had an issue. he rudely told me that there was no need. i then asked for his cell in-case i needed something and he told me no, there was no need. i got there and it was very dusty which made me a bit bothered because i thought they would make it look good. they put the jack on the ground so i couldnt get it high enough to my truck (it usually has a wheel on the bottom to add a couple inches in height). this annoyed me so i tried to find some wood around the yard to jimmy something up and decided to look under the trailer ..... they hadnt fixed ANYTHING!!!!!!!! i was furious beyond belief

Pics from condition they tried to leave it in:

As you can see the rust was getting worse ... not mild surface rust like they tried to pass it off as.

There were also a good 6-10 screws in the interior siding that had fallen out with in the first month of owning the trailer.

I sent them and email with pictures telling them i was very upset with the situation and they had 1 week to get it fixed and delivered to me by friday. Shane called monday and we had a heated debate. he was not apologetic. i told him how i had spent so much time and money to get it down there that i would like something for the trouble; a bench, shelf, spare tire .... something for the huge mess up. He started to argue with me that i had to drive to utah to see my cousin anyways. he then started to quote his warranty paperwork saying i was required to bring it to him. I told him that i didnt run my company that way; that we stand behind our product and installs regardless (HVAC contractor). the conversation didnt end well. he called friday and said it was done and a delivery driver would call me that evening to drop it off .... i didnt get the trailer until monday evening. it was fixed but the paint had a lot of runs in it .... not that it is a big deal but you would think they would take the extra mile to make it look good.

as i opened to side door i look down and noticed this:

more rust starting to pop up on the side of the trailer.

keep in mind i put 2 electric heaters in the trailer after riding and store it in our heater shop from sat night until sunday before the guys get into work so its cared for well IMO.

some stand features that i do no like:

the rear door can be heavy as the springs in the hinges dont take enough load off

the side door is EXTREMELY high; 33 inches off of the ground. im a fairly young guy in decent shape (32 years old, 6' tall) and it un-natural to get out. the charmac im ordering is around 7 inches lower. i found out you can request the door in a different spot but with the sloped floor you'll be limited

the door is trimmed with a thin piece of metal. literally the first time a sled was loading in the trailer (my dad) his stock pro ski caught it and dented it pretty deep. i bough ski slips after that but one night my buddies slipped off and it torn that trim piece half way off. its a poor design IMO. the charmac is trimmed in UHMW and is much better.

Things i like:

the floor is nice in some respects, but im going back to a lower deck with small inner fenders as we use the trailer to camp in and the tilted floors are weird to walk in (especially for toddlers at night lol)

the heater built in the front bench is a very nice feature.

Last edited:

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
You will not be unhappy with the customer service from Mirage. Top notch company to deal with that goes above and beyond with customer service. They are serious about being the best out there. TJ sales in Ogden is where I bought mine. They will be at the snowmobile show this weekend and offer good discounts if ordered at the show.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
They will be at the snowmobile show this weekend and offer good discounts if ordered at the show.

That a REALLY GOOD POINT.

GO TO THE SHOW and look at all of the trailers SIDE BY SIDE.

I spent a whole day last year looking at every trailer at the Boise Snoshow and really crawling through each and every one of the trailers there getting an upclose and personal feel for what each of them had to offer.

TIME WELL SPENT.

As for Mirage.
One thing in particular they have going for them right now.
They WANT to move their company forward in the snowmobile trailer market and are investing time and money is "Uping" their game.

They ARE logging into SnoWest and reading the posts here and replying to members, so they are active participants in the forums. You may not see them posting, but I see them reading all of the posts and following along quietly..

I know the owner and I know what he end game is, and where he is trying to go right now. Its one of the reasons I sold the first trailer they just made me and allowed him to build me a 2nd edition. He really WANTS to get in the game in a big way and be a major player.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
I have a mirage 7x14 tool trailer for work. The axle was bent from the factory and wore the outside of a tire to the threads within 1500 miles, less than two months. Took it in for warranty, they denied it because they said it was overloading that caused it to bend. The outside of the tire wore, meaning the hub/axle was bent in. I told them that, they changed there mind and decided I must have backed into a curb too fast, no joke. Long story short, i ended up buying an axle, tire, and paying labor. I also personally saw a rear axle completely fall off a mirage enclosed trailer two years ago on a dirt road. I will never own another mirage product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I had interest in a Trails West 20' BP. I'd like to hear their follow up on the meathooker story. I did talk to a rep at the Denver show and he explained the changes this year to resolve some issues. Mostly the change in where the heater is located and the change to the bigger heater. I don't think any of us can afford to drop $17k and have issues like meathooker reported.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
For the most part we are pulling our trailers with $40,000 pickups filled with $12,000 snowmobiles & we ride wearing over $1.000 of gear.
These #s are on the low for many on here.

My point is decide how much you want to have into you trailer.
If that # is $10,000 then buy the best $10,000 trailer that you can, not the nicest $10,000 trailer that you can.

Quality trumps amenities all day long and most options can always be added down the road.

Lastly, having the most tricked out trailer on the mountain doesn't improve your riding skills, or make you "cool", it doesn't even make your pecker bigger. Really.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
It's only 25 miles from Logan to Preston. I took that into consideration when I bought mine although it's never been back for repairs.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Lastly, having the most tricked out trailer on the mountain doesn't improve your riding skills, or make you "cool", it doesn't even make your pecker bigger. Really.

True enough.
But.
Having a nice trailer DOES make the overall experience of the ride BETTER and more enjoyable.!

I had NO IDEA how much I would enjoy a great trailer with HEAT, LIGHTS and STEREO both before and especially AFTER a long day on a cold mountain!.

And while this may be more specific to me than to most others here on SnoWest, I take out a LOT of new riders and introduce them to their first snowmobiling ride. And the trailer make a huge impression on them, especially the ladies!

For me, it has been money well spent!!
I drive 3 hours or more to ride every week all winter long.
I LOVE MY TRAILER!

Premium Features