• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Patriot 850 / Boondocker Turbo Vid

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
The new Sidekick with the new Boondocker turbo will work be outstanding at low elevation. There needs to be more testing done at lower elevations though. Right now the floor is around 3-5,000 ft without added octane.

As Scott said, it is designed to compensate to a HP figure. There just has not been enough testing to say 100% it will compensate all the way down to sea level.

That is correct and very important. We have customers riding low elevations with a bump in octane and have reported that all is well. Boondocker however, having not specifically designed a low elevation kit, "below 5k", do not recommend or endorse this practice.

There will be a specific low elevation kit on the horizon.....

Snowedunder

Premium Member
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Well .. hope we will hear something soon on the validation of the 850 , hope the boys from Boondocker have found some fluff for testing ?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
At some point some info besides “it works good” would be cool. I see they are now making production kits, and there is still hardly any info on them.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Well .. hope we will hear something soon on the validation of the 850 , hope the boys from Boondocker have found some fluff for testing ?

The Patriot is in the validation process. It appears there are no significant changes from the pre release model and the 19 production model. Excellent results! When the guys say 2 grams more weight added, that's a good sign! lol

All deliveries are on schedule by the end of the month.... hopefully the snow gets here!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
At some point some info besides “it works good” would be cool. I see they are now making production kits, and there is still hardly any info on them.

Sorry about that. We have posted vid's and articles on the new Patriot 850 Sidekick. We'll try to get it spread around.

Without getting into the technological specifics, not relevant to the user, the new Sidekick features the new Boondocker F47 Turbocharger. Specifically designed for this application, unlike adapting an automotive turbo. It is rebuild-able in the case a reed, piece of a ring, plug porcupine, etc run through it. Larger wastegate for better boost control, and USB port access for upload tune options!
Available in 91 octane low boost, or the inter-cooled high pressure model.

Hope this helps!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I think he was looking for a answer to this question. Bunch of rumors flying around but in all the vids nobody discusses this.

Yes, all new electronics on this new Sidekick for the Patriot 850 and coming for Doo and Cat.

The user information, not getting into the specific electronic details, is a completely new Sidekick - "Auto" that has USB port access for updates as well as choosing 91 octane low boost or high pressure without having to pull everything apart, unplug everything and send in your box for a tune or boost change. There is a lot of new electronics involved in making this possible, as you can imagine. The end result/objective is for the convenience of the rider. Simple update tunes or completely change your sled from "mild to wild", 91 octane to High Pressure in minutes through a USB port.

Hope this answers your question.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Anything in regards to how the new electronics on the 850 work with the new electronics on the new Boondocker kit?

I know that the 850 has a new fuel temp and pressure sensor, is this a big deal on the tuning side of things?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Anything in regards to how the new electronics on the 850 work with the new electronics on the new Boondocker kit?

I know that the 850 has a new fuel temp and pressure sensor, is this a big deal on the tuning side of things?

No. The new Boondocker Sidekick electronics have been meticulously developed in sync with the new Patriot electronics. Two years in development. No tuning required by the rider.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Ok well as soon as Boondocker releases info beyond having a new turbo and a usb port please post up. Would be interested in any of the articles or videos.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Ok well as soon as Boondocker releases info beyond having a new turbo and a usb port please post up. Would be interested in any of the articles or videos.

Aside from releasing all of their proprietary information, what else are you looking for?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Aside from releasing all of their proprietary information, what else are you looking for?

Information stating differences between this kit and the 800 kit. What is different on the 850 vs 800 motor packages themselves that makes the 850 a better fit for boost? I have heard many say this motor is gonna be great under boost. Why? How the new electronics work... ok they are new... whats new about them? Is whatever is used for tuning monitoring more parameters and making more/faster changes?

Here is a quote from Boondockers site-
“Featuring refinements and further innovation in our exclusive pre-programmed, non-adjustable fuel controller, the all-new Sidekick unleashes the potential of the Polaris 850 Patriot motor. The entire turbo kit has been optimized for more performance, better aesthetics, and higher quality.”

It would be nice to see ^^^ that all elaborated on LOL. Feel like I’m being a pain, but there is all this talk about new and great but no “technical details”.

Either way I dont plan to buy a turbo kit any time soon, but I am interested the advances being made, they seem to get better each year. I know many people say turbos are pull and go, from what I’ve seen thats not true. Hoping this kit gets us closer. The kit in the clip that was posted sounds silly good. Looking forward to more videos.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I am hoping, and assuming Erik Woog will do a video explaining and showing much of that at somepoint, that guy is amazing to listen to.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I understand you are not , nor have been a Boondocker turbo owner/rider. Check in with your local dealer and sign up for a demo. We would love to have you on the mountain with your first Boost experience! Look forward to meeting you.

As for "pull and go".... My demo sled last year, you can imagine the abuse! LOL, I literally filled the gas and oil each morning... period. All season. Yes, the Boondocket Sidekick is what you need to experience. Hope to see you on the mountain!

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Information stating differences between this kit and the 800 kit. What is different on the 850 vs 800 motor packages themselves that makes the 850 a better fit for boost? I have heard many say this motor is gonna be great under boost. Why? How the new electronics work... ok they are new... whats new about them? Is whatever is used for tuning monitoring more parameters and making more/faster changes?

Here is a quote from Boondockers site-
“Featuring refinements and further innovation in our exclusive pre-programmed, non-adjustable fuel controller, the all-new Sidekick unleashes the potential of the Polaris 850 Patriot motor. The entire turbo kit has been optimized for more performance, better aesthetics, and higher quality.”

It would be nice to see ^^^ that all elaborated on LOL. Feel like I’m being a pain, but there is all this talk about new and great but no “technical details”.

Either way I dont plan to buy a turbo kit any time soon, but I am interested the advances being made, they seem to get better each year. I know many people say turbos are pull and go, from what I’ve seen thats not true. Hoping this kit gets us closer. The kit in the clip that was posted sounds silly good. Looking forward to more videos.

This kit still a secret or what?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
On my intercooled kit, with the 50/50 tune, she's crisp.
Oh man it's fun, right from the bottom end, up through 8650!

Premium Features